Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Strava. I like the social side of it.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades I have been following the "don't stop pedaling" rule already with very limited times where I don't (basically, I'm going downhill and hitting 30+MPH because of the downhill, I really am doing nothing other than steering).

Guess I'll simply keep that up for the most part. I'm still going to add the gym, since I need to get my strength training going again. I've abandoned it lately while I work on getting myself to my minimum acceptable level (5 mile rides is where I consider to be the minimum acceptable), and I'm almost there consistently.

Thank you again!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Neither. Garmin 910xt

Confused...... I have a Garmin VivóActive HR, and a Garmin Edge 520... I still use Strava
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I use Strava with my Garmin Edge500. I only use the Strava ap to record when I've forgotten my GPS.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I haven't learned how to connect my Garmin Vivosmart HR+ to it [strava on phone] for heart rate monitoring, and I don't have the bike computer yet either.

Your phone has to be capable of ANT+ to connect your VivoHR to it. Maybe somebody who understands this better than I do can chime in. I couldn't get that to work on my last phone, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 4 now and can use my Garmin HRMs with it if I want to. I don't know if ANT+ is a hardware thing or a software thing but it's how Garmins transmit HR and other data.

I assume you could record your bike ride on your Vivosmart as an exercise or activity? If so, another option you have is instead of running Strava on your phone, Garmin can send the data off to Strava as soon as you sync it. That would get your HR data to Strava because Garmin just sends everything they have. Even if this works you might not want to do it because Strava can show you more information at a glance, just by virtue of its larger screen.

I have a dedicated bike computer, a Garmin Edge 800. I've had it almost 6 years. Never bothered to upgrade because it still does just about everything I need. But it wasn't cheap and if I had it to do over again I'd probably spend 1/10th the money on a phone mount and use that.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper - works for just about everything
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I haven't learned how to connect my Garmin Vivosmart HR+ to it [strava on phone] for heart rate monitoring, and I don't have the bike computer yet either.

Your phone has to be capable of ANT+ to connect your VivoHR to it. Maybe somebody who understands this better than I do can chime in. I couldn't get that to work on my last phone, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 4 now and can use my Garmin HRMs with it if I want to. I don't know if ANT+ is a hardware thing or a software thing but it's how Garmins transmit HR and other data.

Hardware. It's a physical chip. Samsung has it in a number of phones (they use a chip that is both bluetooth and ANT+). Sony does too. HTC, Motorola, LG don't. Apple doesn't and never have.
    On android phones it's easy to add - an OTC cable and a USB ANT+ fob. Naturally Garmin hasn't included an USB fob in a few generations... Amazon, etc. has nice little ones for not very $.
    On Apples, it's tougher, because Apple is like that. Basically you need Wahoo's ANT+ dongle and (maybe) a 30-pin to lightning adapter.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Free strava here. Too. Broke o:)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    HTC One M7 has the Ant+ chip but not enabled. Depending on the phone, it may need to piggy back on Bluetooth. Check out Ant+ Enabler. Some phones need to be rooted (e.g. my HTC One M7 so it can receive via Bluetooth stack). If you have or get it working, check out IpBike. It's basically a Garmin minus the live tracking stuff. It has ops for mountain biking (gearing & shocks) and setup for running (possible swimming too, not my sport).

Or just pickup a used/refurbished Sony Xperia Active for ~$100 and never worry about water damage (like my HTC :( ). The bad is battery life, ~5 hours. I finally cough up and bought a Garmin Edge 520 in May, on sale for $225. Same sale on/back at precisionbikeshop.com.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I assume you could record your bike ride on your Vivosmart as an exercise or activity? If so, another option you have is instead of running Strava on your phone, Garmin can send the data off to Strava as soon as you sync it. That would get your HR data to Strava because Garmin just sends everything they have. Even if this works you might not want to do it because Strava can show you more information at a glance, just by virtue of its larger screen.

I have a dedicated bike computer, a Garmin Edge 800. I've had it almost 6 years. Never bothered to upgrade because it still does just about everything I need. But it wasn't cheap and if I had it to do over again I'd probably spend 1/10th the money on a phone mount and use that.

I had no idea Garmin HRM would work with phones (I have a S5). Interesting. I also have an Edge500, so I don't need it to work with my phone, but still interesting.

I got my husband a refurbished 800 for a really good price.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My Forerunner 220 and Edge 810 both talk to my android phone no problem.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    My Forerunner 220 and Edge 810 both talk to my android phone no problem.

That's different. Those communicate with the phone via bluetooth to transfer workout information and phone notifications. The sensors in question, including the optical HR in the Vivoactive HR and FR 225/235, transmit data via ANT+.
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Strava, for social, there is nothing better. Golden Cheetah and Excel for analytics. Not biking much right now but works well for running also.
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/5541470
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I got my husband a refurbished 800 for a really good price.

How to put free Open Street Maps on your Garmin 800.

That's what I have on mine.
  • Suusik
    Suusik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    I'm newbie for cycling. I started to use Strava (free version) and it looks OK but our group moderator creates a route and than send us a map.
    I use Apple Watch and iPhone. My goal is to import the map. I attached my iPhone to the bike and want to navigate.
    Will Strava or MapMyRide or any other free app allow me to import a map?
    Also would like to know if Strava (free version) will allow to build a route? How about MapMyRide? How about Google Map? Will it allow to import a map?
    Any advice would be appreciated ...

Thanks
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Suusik wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm newbie for cycling. I started to use Strava (free version) and it looks OK but our group moderator creates a route and than send us a map.
    I use Apple Watch and iPhone. My goal is to import the map. I attached my iPhone to the bike and want to navigate.
    Will Strava or MapMyRide or any other free app allow me to import a map?
    Also would like to know if Strava (free version) will allow to build a route? How about MapMyRide? How about Google Map? Will it allow to import a map?
    Any advice would be appreciated ...

Thanks
    Here's the instruction for Strava. I think you need Google Earth in order to read GPX and TCX (not sure if turn-by-turn is working, was beta). Never used MapMyRide. I use a Garmin 520 computer and prefer using Ride with GPS to plan/create my routes or download existing. To plan "new" or "unknown", I consult Strava heat map.
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/206811950-How-to-import-a-GPX-File-as-a-Strava-Route
    http://blog.strava.com/discover-a-new-route-follow-it-from-your-phone-7749/
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I use Strava premium, with a variety of Garmin watches
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I use both. Strava is the better of the two, but I started with MapMyRide and have been tracking a couple of my goals with one of their charts. Also, when I use Zwift, I keep the Zwift data from the ride in Strava and the Garmin data in MapMyRide. But I'm not paying for either.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have accounts with Garmin, Strava, RideWithGPS, and TrainingPeaks. Which I use depends on what I'm trying to do. The only thing I use Strava for is segments and categorizing climbs (I have no interest in the social side, and I prefer other apps/sites for analytics).

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but strava on it's own won't give you meaningful HR data. I assume you have a HR monitor of some sort?
  • Suusik
    Suusik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well ... thanks for all replies
    Eventually I figured out how to import someone's route into Google Map on my phone but it does not look that it'll give turn-by-turn navigation
    I like Strava too but does it allow to import a route? Could someone advice how are you doing it?
    Also I am using 'free' version of Strava and don't know if it allow turn-by-turn navigation for free?
    Any heads-up?
    Thanks