Anyone have experience with PMDD??

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Check vitamin D levels. Check magnesium levels. Heck, have them check ALL YOUR LEVELS OF EVERYTHING. Get an MRI. One doctor tried to send me to a psychiatrist because I seemed depressed... well turns out I had EXTREMELY low iron & hemoglobin levels, a vitamin D deficiency, fibroids, adenomyosis (similar to endometriosis) and heavy bleeding & pain all the time. Can you guess why I seemed depressed?!!

Post hysterectomy now and back to feeling great and healthy thank goodness- but it still pisses me off how that doctor tried to treat a physical problem as a mental one. Change doctors if you feel your needs are not being met until you find someone who can actually help you.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you are feeling well again. Actually, magnesium was one of the supplements recommended to help with PMDD symptoms, so I am trying that now.
  • Krislynell
    Krislynell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Along my regular anxiety, I get horrible, life changing pmdd. I only finally went to the dr for help back in August. I'm now on Effexor and buspar and have never felt more stable and better.
  • MermaidAnnie89
    MermaidAnnie89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @Raynne413
    This is exactly me!!! I just had my Mirena removed because I was hoping that it was causing my problems. Progesterone I can take, just not estrogen, so I may look into that. All I want to do at this point is eat and sleep. I'm highly irritable, and can barely concentrate or remember anything. I'm even forgetting my coworkers names. I used to weight over 300 lbs, and lost down to around 145 and maintained for over three years, so putting back on 30 lbs is devastating to me.

~This very closely speaks to what is going on with me right now. I'm so beyond annoyed that I feel tired and like crap 24/7 that I just would rather stay home and not be around anyone. I feel bad for my doctors cause I just want to scream at them for not being able to give me a "simple answer". Just so very annoying. Hopefully your finding something that is helping you :)
  • alexsuffell
    alexsuffell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me, going onto Depo has made my PMDD so much easier. Once every 12 weeks it starts to kick in again - about five or six days before I get my next shot. I do find my appetite goes sky-high just after getting my shot though...

It's not for everyone, but it helped me. Different things for different people, but there are options out there - your doctor needs to kick into gear and help you find out which one works for you!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have PMDD or not but PMS has gotten worse for me as I approach menopause. I have a history of dysthymia (depression) & anxiety. Gyno prescribed low dosage of Zoloft & I feel so much better!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's threads like this that sure make me glad I'm a guy ..

Good luck everyone .. I mean it I feel for ya

• Raynne413
    Options
    For me, going onto Depo has made my PMDD so much easier. Once every 12 weeks it starts to kick in again - about five or six days before I get my next shot. I do find my appetite goes sky-high just after getting my shot though...

It's not for everyone, but it helped me. Different things for different people, but there are options out there - your doctor needs to kick into gear and help you find out which one works for you!

My dr doesn't want me to do the depo shot, and I just had my Mirena taken out (AND feel noticeably better), and my hematologist doesn't me to do an IUD. So that leaves me with the mini-pill or basically condoms. After reading the side effects of the mini-pill (increased depression, weight gain, cancer, etc., it makes me hesitate to give it a try). Ugh! Being a woman sucks. LOL
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Not sure if I have PMDD or not but PMS has gotten worse for me as I approach menopause. I have a history of dysthymia (depression) & anxiety. Gyno prescribed low dosage of Zoloft & I feel so much better!

Anti-depressants definitely can be a big help! I'm glad you found something on the first try! After months of changing pills and regulating dosages, I've finally settled on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin. At this point, even though Cymbalta can cause weight gain, I'd rather not be able to lose and to actually FEEL normal!
  • Raynne413
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    It's threads like this that sure make me glad I'm a guy ..

Good luck everyone .. I mean it I feel for ya

Yeah, yeah, rub it in! LOL
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Check vitamin D levels. Check magnesium levels. Heck, have them check ALL YOUR LEVELS OF EVERYTHING. Get an MRI. One doctor tried to send me to a psychiatrist because I seemed depressed... well turns out I had EXTREMELY low iron & hemoglobin levels, a vitamin D deficiency, fibroids, adenomyosis (similar to endometriosis) and heavy bleeding & pain all the time. Can you guess why I seemed depressed?!!

Post hysterectomy now and back to feeling great and healthy thank goodness- but it still pisses me off how that doctor tried to treat a physical problem as a mental one. Change doctors if you feel your needs are not being met until you find someone who can actually help you.
    This! After much ho humming I had a Vaginal hysterectomy and quality of life came back. Feeling like I was hit by a mack truck was my "normal". My iron was a 9. Turns out I had fibroids and a severe case of adenomyosis (tissue that grows into the muscle of the uterus) and my uterus was 3xs normal size. Life is good now! It's the most extreme option but my god it is the Best decision I have ever made for myself!
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »

This! After much ho humming I had a Vaginal hysterectomy and quality of life came back. Feeling like I was hit by a mack truck was my "normal". My iron was a 9. Turns out I had fibroids and a severe case of adenomyosis (tissue that grows into the muscle of the uterus) and my uterus was 3xs normal size. Life is good now! It's the most extreme option but my god it is the Best decision I have ever made for myself!

So glad you are feeling better!! It's amazing how many conditions go undiagnosed until something extreme happens.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

It's what my gyn recommended too but frankly I'm reluctant to get on those again... I used to be on anti depressants and I was just exhausted all the time (plus I'd fall asleep within 20 minutes of taking them - same with progesterone pills actually). Being very sensitive to hormonal changes really sucks.

My PMS symptoms range from insane appetite (I was probably 4000 calories over maintenance last week - I don't dare counting - it's not hunger as much as huge carb cravings that make me physically sick if I don't eat) to severe depression, or 10 days of horrible cramps. Sometimes a mix of all of those. I'm still not sure which one is worse (at least when I was depressed I had no appetite so I actually lost weight that month!).

I've talked to 3 different GPs/GYNs about it, they all basically shrugged it off as normal, and only recommended the pill or anti-depressants (I tried different pills years ago too and had some bad reactions to them as well so I'm not too sure about that either - plus they all increased my cholesterol, which is already borderline). Some days a hysterectomy sounds great, if the recovery didn't suck.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    The first couple of days on Zoloft I felt cold and a bit sleepy within an hour of taking it. But now it doesn't affect me that way. I'm getting lots of work done at home and getting my workouts in. I'm not as angry, that's a big bonus!
    Sorry that you had a poor experience with the antidepressants, @Francl27
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

My dr doesn't want me to do the depo shot, and I just had my Mirena taken out (AND feel noticeably better), and my hematologist doesn't me to do an IUD. So that leaves me with the mini-pill or basically condoms. After reading the side effects of the mini-pill (increased depression, weight gain, cancer, etc., it makes me hesitate to give it a try). Ugh! Being a woman sucks. LOL

We do not use any chemical birth control and never have. We've been married 21 years. Have you considered natural family planning? It is very effective once you learn how to use it. For a few months a person might want to use condoms until they learned it really well. Effectiveness wise though, when done properly, it is as effective as condoms and no damage to your body from regular hormone BC. Just a thought.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

We do not use any chemical birth control and never have. We've been married 21 years. Have you considered natural family planning? It is very effective once you learn how to use it. For a few months a person might want to use condoms until they learned it really well. Effectiveness wise though, when done properly, it is as effective as condoms and no damage to your body from regular hormone BC. Just a thought.....

Well natural family planning doesn't exactly help with PMDD (and no, it doesn't always work either).
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's what my gyn recommended too but frankly I'm reluctant to get on those again... I used to be on anti depressants and I was just exhausted all the time (plus I'd fall asleep within 20 minutes of taking them - same with progesterone pills actually). Being very sensitive to hormonal changes really sucks.

My PMS symptoms range from insane appetite (I was probably 4000 calories over maintenance last week - I don't dare counting - it's not hunger as much as huge carb cravings that make me physically sick if I don't eat) to severe depression, or 10 days of horrible cramps. Sometimes a mix of all of those. I'm still not sure which one is worse (at least when I was depressed I had no appetite so I actually lost weight that month!).

I've talked to 3 different GPs/GYNs about it, they all basically shrugged it off as normal, and only recommended the pill or anti-depressants (I tried different pills years ago too and had some bad reactions to them as well so I'm not too sure about that either - plus they all increased my cholesterol, which is already borderline). Some days a hysterectomy sounds great, if the recovery didn't suck.

I found a list of supplements to take that can help PMDD, and while I'm not sure if it was getting the Mirena removed, or adding in the supplements that have helped, I will say I feel better.

Nutritional supplements

Vitamin B6, up to 100 mg per day

Vitamin E, up to 600 IU per day

Calcium carbonate, 1,200 to 1,600 mg per day

Magnesium, up to 500 mg per day

Tryptophan, up to 6 g per day
    Evening primrose oil
    500 mg per day to 1,000 mg three times per day
    Days 17 through 28 of menstrual cycle
    Chaste tree berry
    30 to 40 mg per day
    Days 17 through 28 of menstrual cycle

At this point I am desperate enough to try ANYTHING!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Ya, I successfully used Fertility Awareness for years when I was married. My SO now had a vasectomy. Words cannot describe how nice it is to no longer worry about unplanned pregnancy.

Francl27 wrote: »

Well natural family planning doesn't exactly help with PMDD (and no, it doesn't always work either).
    We're on a "What to do about BC" tangent now :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Sheks41191 wrote: »
    I ended up in a psych ward because of PMDD. I know everyone's symptoms are different but it can be debilitating.

I was a wreck, self medicating, I had insomnia, compulsive over eater got to 250+ pounds at 5"4.

Relief for me only came when as a result of having a cyst on my ovary I had to have a laproscope and the discovered stage 4 endometriosis as a result of the surgery to then remove that I am on Visanne. I know very little regarding the make up of pills but Visanne is a progesterone pill.

Which means I have no cycle and as a result no symptoms.

My advice is to get it under control using medication that will not cause blood clotting. You will feel so much better. It quite literally changed my view on the world.

This is exactly me!!! I just had my Mirena removed because I was hoping that it was causing my problems. Progesterone I can take, just not estrogen, so I may look into that. All I want to do at this point is eat and sleep. I'm highly irritable, and can barely concentrate or remember anything. I'm even forgetting my coworkers names. I used to weight over 300 lbs, and lost down to around 145 and maintained for over three years, so putting back on 30 lbs is devastating to me.

I take Prometrium, a bio-identical progesterone, for matters unrelated to PMDD. But if you tend to have side effects to hormones, Prometrium might work well for you.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This may sound harsh, but I really don't intend it to be, so I am sorry if it comes across that way.

I took a look back in your posting history, and with quite a bit of what you posted, I really think you should go back to your doctors and let them sort this out (not rely on Internet posts).

A while back you said you had PCOS, did they ever treat for that? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37550150/#Comment_37550150

You also mentioned a pretty significant eating disorder history with binge and restrict cycles. That also could have played havoc on your body; which you even admit.

I've had treatment for PCOS for years now, probably around 14? So that should be covered, hopefully. :)

I am talking to my doctors. The only conclusion that has been drawn was my doctor saying PMDD. That's why I was asking. I don't necessarily want a diagnosis for the internet forums, I just want to hear other people's experiences with it, and if they had any luck in treatment.

Luckily, I have been free of the binge/restrict cycles for awhile. Especially the restricting LOL, which is why I now have 30 lbs to lose again. I'm sure it has affected my metabolism though.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

What I eat makes a big difference on my hunger levels, mood, energy, etc. 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein works well for me - 45% carbs and I feel indulgent ;)
  • Raynne413
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sheks41191 wrote: »
    I ended up in a psych ward because of PMDD. I know everyone's symptoms are different but it can be debilitating.

I was a wreck, self medicating, I had insomnia, compulsive over eater got to 250+ pounds at 5"4.

Relief for me only came when as a result of having a cyst on my ovary I had to have a laproscope and the discovered stage 4 endometriosis as a result of the surgery to then remove that I am on Visanne. I know very little regarding the make up of pills but Visanne is a progesterone pill.

Which means I have no cycle and as a result no symptoms.

My advice is to get it under control using medication that will not cause blood clotting. You will feel so much better. It quite literally changed my view on the world.

I take Prometrium, a bio-identical progesterone, for matters unrelated to PMDD. But if you tend to have side effects to hormones, Prometrium might work well for you.

Does the Prometrium require a prescription?