Weight Loss with Xenical

Options
Is the weight loss product Alli safe? I heard it is health hazardous. Its Xenical FDA approved right so how bad can it be. Anyone use it over a year? Was it useful? Any thoughts about this diet aid?

Replies

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Basically, it works by making you too scared to eat fat. By reducing fat, you reduce calories. Eat fat and... well, its main side effect is "uncontrollable anal leakage" - think bright orange oil. Out your butt. With no control.

:o:s
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have never once thought that orange grease dripping out of my butt and ruining my pants at work, out shopping, at the gym or even at home sounded like something fun to try.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You do not need anything to lose weight other than a calorie deficit. No amount of miracle pills, shakes, or food restrictions will help you. They simply do nothing. They are a waste of money. The diet industry is so massive, you can't even imagine. They all want to sell you their latest product, diet, book, pill, etc. Don't fall victim to their lies. Eat at a deficit, whatever you want to eat, stick to it, weigh your foods, lose weight. Exercise for health or extra calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A big NO to the pills, or any pills. A calorie deficit is all you need!! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It did not make a significant change for me. I got pretty good at structuring my meals with just enough fat to keep the Xenical happy. This weight control pill was not approved for subsidy by our Provincial health insurance plan. I believe there is scant evidence that it helps people achieve their weight loss goals.

A co-worker who took it developed gall bladder problems afterwards and deeply regretted trying the pill.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Xenical is evil!
    Your toilet bowl will not thank you
    You'll never get those stains out lol

I took it a few years ago
    Lost 8kg in a month (not healthy!)
    Gained it all back as soon as I stopped taking it
    Vile stuff!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I took it for about a week. But I stopped consuming anything with a high fat content. So after a week, I figured there was no point in me taking it. Nothing was happening with it, so for me it was just a waste of money.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the fundamental flaw in cutting fat out of your diet, given how essential it is to healthy hormone function and how healthy hormone function is crucial to seeing the scale move..........
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight count calories and pay attention to fat, protein, and carbs (macros). No side effects, no one wants a leaky bum. I have tried pills many many pills, shakes, bars, fad diets it was not healthy and I was not happy. Now I try to eat healthy and stay within my calories and balance macros. I have medical issues so I keep meal replacement shakes and bars on hand for days I can't eat regular food but it is not something I rely on. No magic pills just eat and remember everything in moderation.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've tried all diets going
    I've tried xenical and other pills and potions
    The only diet that's worked for me is LCHF
    Three stone off and still going
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In clinical trials, people taking Xenical/Orlistat/Alli lost about 2-3 kilograms more than people who didn't take the drug.

That's just not a lot of weight. That's 4 to 6-ish pounds.

In exchange for losing that tiny amount (relatively speaking), people taking it have to deal with really horrifying, grotesque side effects. I mean, the package insert TELLS YOU TO WEAR BROWN PANTS and to TAKE A CHANGE OF PANTS TO WORK.

It's like the medical community thinks that fat people deserve to be humiliated. The fact that that drug was approved and is being prescribed - and is available over the counter? Given its lack of real efficacy and its serious and life-affecting side effects? Is freaking *abusive*.

(don't get me started on the "new" weight-loss drug that capitalizes on the fact that they figured out a common anti-seizure drug had weight loss as a side effect. Sure, Topamax might help you lose 10 pounds, but it can cause actual cognitive impairment which can be permanent. Apparently losing 10 pounds is worth getting stupid.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Prescription here in Canada. But health care doesn't cover the cost. I think it speaks to the dearth of options available to the morbidly obese. Besides the many classes I attended and my surgery, the most helpful program I found was Stanford's

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html

But it is six weeks, and not that well known.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Anal leakage...

2rzf8s5.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not to mention the fundamental flaw in cutting fat out of your diet, given how essential it is to healthy hormone function and how healthy hormone function is crucial to seeing the scale move..........

Indeed. Fat is also important for regularity and for absorbing fat soluble vitamins. It also keeps your hair, skin and nails in top condition.

I love fat.
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I had energy using it because it gave me that "get up and go" feeling. :/

This was my experience also. Very, very speedy.