Am I too thin?

Options
Pam_1965
Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you know? People tell me I look thin. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror, and think I look thin, but most of the time I do not. I can't tell what is age and what is fat, if that makes sense. All of a sudden I am a size 2 (old navy) when I started at a size 16, and the 2s are baggy, but I still see fat.

I was 220 pounds 3 years ago. I am now 140 pounds. I know that I could still lose more weight to get to my ideal weight (135). How do you know when you are too thin?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • Pam_1965
    Options
    5'6. 51 years old, tomorrow.
  • Pam_1965
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My BMI is smack in the middle and everything I read says 135 is ideal for my height. It is so hard to tell because I am droopy! Lol!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. You look fantastic. That is completely up to you whether you want to bring it down to 135 or not. Either weight is healthy. One might look better than the other but who knows?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine to me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    My BMI is smack in the middle and everything I read says 135 is ideal for my height. It is so hard to tell because I am droopy! Lol!

There's no such thing as one ideal weight for any height. BMI is a range for a reason. 135 will be perfect for some women of your height; 140 will be perfect for others; 145 for others and 130 for others. (And that doesn't even get into the fact that a person who is 140 and fit will look different from the same person at 140 but unfit.)

I think it's very unlikely that you're "too thin". You're just in the process of having your brain catch up to your body. If you want to lose another 5 pounds, I see nothing wrong with that - but if you want to try "living in 140" for a while, that could be a good plan to. Personally, that's what I'd try - maintaining 140 and focusing on fitness/health instead of weight for a bit.

That is literally what I'm doing now :) Maintaining at 140 and focusing on health and fitness!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    You're not too thin. Try toning a bit to make yourself feel better maybe? And do you wear your shirts baggy? I know it's kind of weird but I think that can make someone looks really thin sometimes if they have thin arms and their shirts are too big. lol.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think you are the only one that can tell.
    As long as you are in a healthy weight range you should be fine.
    According to your profile picture you look great.
    Well done!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous.. Not too thin to me in the least. :)

I am 48 and lift weights and work on body composition and all though that is not for everyone, I can tell you it will change everything you feel about yourself and your looks on the outside.

Happy Birthday a day early!! :)

• Pam_1965
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone! And
    @RoxieDawn, do I know you???
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    As long as the weight loss isn't sudden and for no reason (could be caused by a medical issue), have energy, feel good and your doc is not concerned then you are fine. If someone has the gall to say you look to thing you can either not respond or say that you have discussed it with your doc and you are perfectly healthy then change the subject.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I am not sure? I don't think so.. (i did not say anything wrong did I?)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I am not sure? I don't think so.. (i did not say anything wrong did I?)

I think she forgot she told us all it was her birthday tomorrow! ;)
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    @pam_1965 Happy birthday!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!