I Don't Want to Look Like I'm Pregnant Anymore

Options
I am not pregnant, nor have I ever been, but my belly sticks out like I'm about a month along*. It doesn't move like any of my other fat deposits, so I don't think it's fat. I want to firm up the area. Any advice?

*It has looked like that for several years, so it is 100% not a pregnancy or tumour.

Replies

• TheWellnessPAC
    TheWellnessPAC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. Well balanced meals. Nutrition is 90% of this battle.
    2. Eliminate wasted calories- often in sodas, juices, condiments
    3. Daily exercise! Which can be as simple as 30 mins of brisk walking

Message me if you need any help. I do a lot of meal prepping to stay on track. It took me 4 years to get where I am today. Strive for progress, not perfection!! You'll reach your goals! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jesolgat wrote: »
    1. Well balanced meals. Nutrition is 90% of this battle.
    2. Eliminate wasted calories- often in sodas, juices, condiments
    3. Daily exercise! Which can be as simple as 30 mins of brisk walking

Message me if you need any help. I do a lot of meal prepping to stay on track. It took me 4 years to get where I am today. Strive for progress, not perfection!! You'll reach your goals! :)

Nah, she doesn't have to eliminate anything at all. It's not necessary.
    I am not pregnant, nor have I ever been, but my belly sticks out like I'm about a month along*. It doesn't move like any of my other fat deposits, so I don't think it's fat. I want to firm up the area. Any advice?

*It has looked like that for several years, so it is 100% not a pregnancy or tumour.

Someone who is a month along does to show.

What are your stats? Are you trying to lose weight?

You can't spot reduce.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It might be fat around your organs rather than fat just under/in your skin if it "doesn't move".

I have a tummy but my belly is squishy & soft because the fat is in/under the skin... I can grab a handful of it. But my husband has a big beer belly- there's not a lot of fat in his skin layer, you can't squish or pinch very much, it's all fat inside his abdominal wall sitting around his organs.

Do you drink alcohol? That could be the cause.

You can't really "firm up the area" to make the bulging tummy go away, you have to lose overall body fat. The good news is I've heard the fat around your organs is the first fat source your body starts using for energy (you'll have to double check if that's true, it's just something I've heard).

It could also possibly be chronic bloating if you have a food allergy or sensitivity to something but you eat it anyways. I am sensitive to gluten and wine- if I have either one my belly bloats up and I look really pregnant- it even can take a couple days to go back down.

Or it could be fibroids or an enlarged uterus... you say it's been like that for years, but did you ever have the doctor actually take a look?

You could work on your abs and posture to suck it in, in case it's being caused by lazy/weak abs- but losing fat is probably your best bet.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Although you can't spot reduce, you can strengthen core muscles with eg Pilates, which will hold your gut in better. I have this problem, partly because I am obese and naturally apple shaped, but it's made worse by weak core muscles. Mine have always been weak - I showed hugely when I was pregnant because of this - and they are worse than ever now. I feel your pain, OP, I look about 4 months gone.
  • DaigaDaiga
    DaigaDaiga Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It might be fat around your organs rather than fat just under/in your skin if it "doesn't move".

I have a tummy but my belly is squishy & soft because the fat is in/under the skin... I can grab a handful of it. But my husband has a big beer belly- there's not a lot of fat in his skin layer, you can't squish or pinch very much, it's all fat inside his abdominal wall sitting around his organs.

I have both kinds of belly fat. I have visceral fat around my organs. That makes my belly to protrude and look round like a beer belly/pregnant belly. Also I have that soft and squishy fat just under my skin. So my belly is both round and bouncy/jiggly. It really sucks, especially when I wear jeans or shorts and my belly just hangs out round AND jiggles.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    DaigaDaiga wrote: »

I have both kinds of belly fat. I have visceral fat around my organs. That makes my belly to protrude and look round like a beer belly/pregnant belly. Also I have that soft and squishy fat just under my skin. So my belly is both round and bouncy/jiggly. It really sucks, especially when I wear jeans or shorts and my belly just hangs out round AND jiggles.

Oh no that's the worst! Sorry that sucks, but losing weight/body fat should help? I've been mistaken for being pregnant in the past actually- my squishy round tummy + bloating from going to brunch & having both gluten & champagne... ended up with having some lady ask how far along I was!! My tummy is definitely my problem area too! It's getting better though, with calorie deficit, exercise, and being careful what foods I eat & no alcohol.
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have always carried my weight on my stomach, and have constantly been asked 'when i'm due'. Definitely look like i'm more than a month along. I've learned from years of trying to spot reduce that it DOES NOT WORK. Eating right, exercise. Eventually mine should go away (I hope.)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    If your stomach is firm but round .. it comes from fat around your organs.. visceral fat. The most dangerous kind of fat. That's what motivates me.. i visualize that fat around my liver, and other vital organs. I want it GONE. squishy fat is just plain ugly fat you want to get rid of for vanity reasons.. I get that too.

Like everyone says.. you have to lose the weight overall for the stomach to finally go. It is working for me. I would say in a month my stomach will be normal. Right now it has gone down a good amount, I estimate by day 105 to 110 of eating right and exercise to will be back to normal.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Are you actually overweight? If yes, lose weight and your belly will shrink.
    1 month pregnant would not be showing or barely be starting to show though. You might just need to strengthen your core muscles. Do more exercise.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this just to make sure there are no other concerns like a cyst, bloating, etc?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Yeah do you look 1 month pregnant or like 4 or 5 months pregnant? Because 1 month pregnant looks completely normal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    All women look one month pregnant. You might look 4 months pregnant. If you have fat on your belly all you can do is lose weight. Put in your stats and eat at a calorie deficit. You cannot spot reduce.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Fibroids can certainly make women look pregnant. Next time you have a GYN exam ask about this.

However, because you're only 21 and large fibroids tend to grow closer to menopause, it's a long shot for you - am posting for the benefit of older readers.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Fibroids can certainly make women look pregnant. Next time you have a GYN exam ask about this.

However, because you're only 21 and large fibroids tend to grow closer to menopause, it's a long shot for you - am posting for the benefit of older readers.

Yeah 21 is young for that but it can happen a lot earlier than menopause too- I had to get a hysterectomy at age 34 for a combo of several large fibroids, many small fibroids, and a condition called adenomyosis. When they removed my uterus they said it was the same size as if I were 5 months pregnant. I still have a belly, but it's smaller now (now it's just fat & bloat).