I just walk - that's ok, right?

Options
I have a dog and now that it's gotten so pretty outside, we've been walking 4 miles every other day. We both enjoy it. Some of my friends seem to feel I'm "wasting my time" if I'm not doing something more muscle based. That I need to be doing burpees, squats, lunges, etc. Frankly, I find the idea of having to do that very demotivating. I don't have interest in it, but I really enjoy walking.
It may take me longer to achieve my weight loss goals, but they'll come even with just a walk, right?

Replies

• brandiwyliemoore
    brandiwyliemoore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You do not need to do anything but walk if you don't want to. Weight loss is more about what you eat rather than your exercise. I know marathon runners that are chubby because they don't eat well.
  • headzy
    headzy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you and your dog, I found this short read https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2011/01/28/six-ways-i-maintain-my-weight-loss/
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    headzy wrote: »
    Walking is good for you and your dog, I found this short read https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2011/01/28/six-ways-i-maintain-my-weight-loss/

What a great article! Thanks! It's good to know I"m not out of my mind :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you and I bet your doggy loves it as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Right. That's okay.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am a walker too. I have been a gym member at various stages of my life but I don't really enjoy it, so after a while it got harder to stay motivated.
    But walking I love and can happily do it every day. I think it's great exercise. My dog makes sure I keep going frequently and I can add in short bursts of running with her if I feel like it. As she grows we will be able to do more long hikes too - can't wait! :)