I just walk - that's ok, right?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! its my favourite way to get cardio.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Late to respond but walking is fantastic exercise. It is my main cardio. I used to run more but I keep coming back to walking.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Everyone has different goals! The exercises you said people are encouraging you to do are for strength training, toning and gaining muscle when you are not eating at a deficit. You are walking, which is a form of cardio. It will help you lose weight and burns more calories than strength training. Walking might help you tone a little bit, but you most likely will not end up with a six pack or really "chiseled" arms, etc. If that's okay with you then keep up what you're doing!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Everyone has different goals!

^^^^^ Bingo!

I love running & riding my bike & lifting weights etc etc etc but that's me, not you. Walking is great exercise for both you and your dog. Keep it up!
  • bocasdelbob
    bocasdelbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Walking your dog for 4 miles every other day is OK big time. That is called adding quality to your life, your dogs life and your husband's life, big time. Let's stay in touch. Get descriptive about what you see and what you like. What is it that makes you want more life?
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Walking is better than not working out for sure, however, it is not optimal. And many of these statements such as "walking does more for your legs than squats" are blatantly false.

Adding resistance workouts and some small doses of more intense cardio will improve your health, fitness, and body composition more than just walking. Sorry there is just tons of research to support this.

That being said if walking is what you want to do then it is a much better choice than nothing, and not a waste of time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    _reno_ wrote: »
    Walking is better than not working out for sure, however, it is not optimal. And many of these statements such as "walking does more for your legs than squats" are blatantly false.

Adding resistance workouts and some small doses of more intense cardio will improve your health, fitness, and body composition more than just walking. Sorry there is just tons of research to support this.

That being said if walking is what you want to do then it is a much better choice than nothing, and not a waste of time.

Agree with @GottaBurnEmAll.

Walking is 100% optimal.

Where's links to the peer reviewed articles to back up your claims? ;)
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of my favourite forms of exercise with the only downside being you have to spend a long time doing to really rack up the calories burnt if you're trying to lose weight (as I am). That's why I started my fitness journey with a lot of walking, increasing the duration and pace before starting the C25K running programme. Now I get most of my exercise from running and cycling but still like to through in the occasional hike as well.
  • ajoyp
    ajoyp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On days that I do not do interval training, I don't jog but do a quick 30 min brisk walk. It is just as effective. I only do interval training because it just feels good to run really fast.

As you may already know, and others have said here, weight loss is not only about "working out". You need to:

1) drop your calorie intake and

2) do aerobic activity that will help metabolize the fat that your body has stored.

For #1, MFP has a great calorie tracker (which is why I joined!) and for #2, just look up what your Target Heart Rate should be for your age and make sure you walk in that zone for at least 20 minutes. Here is a link to check your THR from the American Heart Institute.

Good luck!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that if your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise ;) . But seriously, nothing wrong with "just" walking as a primary form of exercise. Basically all I do and since I've been motivated to do it regularly, I've lost more than 40 lbs without the knee soreness I would get when I tried to run regularly. I would advise to include some strength training as well though. Easy enough to do at home without a big investment in equipment. Best of luck to you and your dog! :)
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    _reno_ wrote: »

Agree with @GottaBurnEmAll.

Walking is 100% optimal.

Where's links to the peer reviewed articles to back up your claims? ;)

You are really going to ask me for peer reviewed articles that adding resistance workouts and some high intensity cardio is more effective. There is tons of research on this subject and I am not going to spend the time to look it up.

To be clear walking is fine I said it is far better than not exercising. It is not the best use of time or the most optimal for health and fitness. Sorry to interrupt the big pat each other on the back session with a little fact. Clearly it isn't wanted here. Cary on with the congratulations.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I am encouraged and will go take my dog for a walk in 30 minutes after reading this. It is raining outside but I have a rain jacket! My dog does too!

Do eet! Your dog will be grateful too!! I walk my dog everyday rain or shine!! I live in San Diego, CA, so rain is sparse! LOL