Workouts for toning at the gym

Options
Hello!

Does anyone have a good gym routine for the gym? I need a good workout plan to help tone my entire body?.

Thanks! <3

Replies

• kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! it always had me sweating, and it was great for a full body workout (in my opinion).
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    toning?? :*
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @JessicaCicero
    welcome to MFP
    I love lifting weights and it has changed my body shape for the better
    here is a thread that may be of help
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @JessicaCicero
    welcome to MFP
    I love lifting weights and it has changed my body shape for the better
    here is a thread that may be of help
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    Good luck in your healthy journey

Check out that link!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    can you guys not be so technical...........
    toning = build muscle + lose fat..

Why not use proper terms so people can develop somewhst of a common understanding?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    kiara1066 wrote: »
    I love Zumba!! it always had me sweating, and it was great for a full body workout (in my opinion).
    Zumba is great for cardio, but does little (especially for upper body) for strength conditioning. Many people believe that sweating is a great indication of a good workout, but if that were entirely true, then sitting in a sauna would too.
    Sweating is for one main purpose..........to cool the body. And everyone's sweating level is different.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    can you guys not be so technical...........
    toning = build muscle + lose fat..
    No it doesn't. What you're speaking of is called RECOMPOSITION and that's a far cry from the non definition of "toning" in the fitness world.
    If the OP wants to "tone", then she needs to get a program (a full body workout) that includes some decent resistance training. The link above is a good start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I do a full body lifting routine with medium/heavy weights - circuit style - that my trainer designed. It incorporates squats, deadlifts, rows, bench presses, shoulder presses, and weighted glute bridges (we added those because I'm a runner).

That really burns calories and strengthens my pitifully weak muscles.

I tend to prefer working with dumbbells since I have scoliosis and that severely impacts imbalances between the two sides of my body. My left side is significantly weaker than my right side.

• JessicaCicero
    JessicaCicero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! And I learned my lesson on never to use the word toning
  • martibaxter
    martibaxter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wow, also learned that toning is the word that shall not be named!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! And I learned my lesson on never to use the word toning
    wow, also learned that toning is the word that shall not be named!

Here's a great article about what "toning" is and isn't, and how to go about it: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I *try* do a full-body lifting program (like sl 5x5) twice a week, treadmill circuit w/dumbbells and core 1x, bleachers circuit 1x, and fill in the rest with straight cardio(like turbo jam or aerobics) maybe more circuit training(like the firm dvds or 30 day shred) and a long run. Works for me ..