I hate my scale

Options
mburgess458
mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
My scale sucks. I thought I had lost a few pounds while in maintenance. Recently I wanted to see how much our dog weighs so I weighed myself, then picked up the dog and weighed myself again... thought the dog had gained 3 pounds. I thought to weigh myself again and it showed my weight as 3 pounds heavier than it showed a minute earlier.

It consistently does this. I can weigh myself, step off the scale, weigh myself again and the second reading is 2.5 to 3 pounds heavier than the first reading. The third and subsequent readings are the same as the second reading. I assume that is closer to being correct.

Any ideas on what is going on? It's an electronic scale that is only about 6 months old. Perhaps after the first reading it resets itself?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @queenliz99 is on to something... can you try to remove or change the batteries and sort of reboot it and see what it does. My new Bluetooth scale will not change after its initial first reading/recording my weight, but I had a strange digital scale that was flaky which is why I bought the one I have now.

I could not weigh and then my husband weigh on the same user..it was squirrelly like that.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Get a new scale if replacing the batteries doesn't work. I like analog scales myself. No scale will be great.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's just your scale. And don't look too far into a couple of pounds. Your weight will fluctuate that much even on the same day.

Most scales also have a certain amount of error already. Especially cheap ones.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Get a new scale if replacing the batteries doesn't work. I like analog scales myself. No scale will be great.

Bolded can be read as either:
    • "Scales are not perfect, there is no individual scale that is continually precise and accurate"
    • "Life is better without a pair of scales - I advise you to throw them away and not replace them"

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My old digital scale did that like every time- had to weigh up to 5 times to get the accurate #. My new digital scale (that also measures body composition) is always accurate, no multiple weighing needed.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sometimes stepping on and off a scale and then getting back on right away can throw it off a bit. I've heard that sometimes it might be a good idea to wait about 15 minutes and making sure it's zeroed out correctly before stepping on again.
  • mburgess458
    Options
    It's just your scale. And don't look too far into a couple of pounds. Your weight will fluctuate that much even on the same day.

I'm not looking into a couple of pounds... I just want a scale that is at least consistent even if it's off by a few pounds. I need to know if my weight is generally going up or down. It's a pain to have to weigh myself twice to get a good reading (on the second try).

I don't see how the batteries could be bad after 6 months. I also don't see how that could consistently cause it to weigh differently between the first and subsequent weighings.
  • mburgess458
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Sometimes stepping on and off a scale and then getting back on right away can throw it off a bit. I've heard that sometimes it might be a good idea to wait about 15 minutes and making sure it's zeroed out correctly before stepping on again.

I didn't mention it, but if I wait a few minutes I get the same reading as the 2nd reading. If I wait an hour or so I get the 1st reading again on the 1st try, then it goes back to the subsequent reading.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options

I didn't mention it, but if I wait a few minutes I get the same reading as the 2nd reading. If I wait an hour or so I get the 1st reading again on the 1st try, then it goes back to the subsequent reading.

With this much trouble with this scale, I would say look into getting another one. Calibration issues/senors are not working properly.
  • mburgess458
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You also need a level floor. The sensors are reading off pressure points and unless you have perfect balance, the sensors are reading what's perceived off a surface that's level. Any deviance from it will usually lead to inaccurate or variable readings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

On a level, tiled bathroom floor.
  • mburgess458
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

With this much trouble with this scale, I would say look into getting another one. Calibration issues/senors are not working properly.

I'm thinking this, but not sure how to make sure the next one is better.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Check the battery before investing in a new scale.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your scale.... but why are you stressing? It's just a number.
  • AvAsgard
    AvAsgard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do not use a scale to measure your success, because it will let you down. It sounds very subjective and not measurable, but try to focus on how your clothes feel. There's no feeling like having once tight clothes become baggy and then jumping on the scale and seeing that you're weight hasn't changed.

I guess try to use both but be aware that body composition is complex and scales are only one piece of a big picture.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

I'm not looking into a couple of pounds... I just want a scale that is at least consistent even if it's off by a few pounds. I need to know if my weight is generally going up or down. It's a pain to have to weigh myself twice to get a good reading (on the second try).

I don't see how the batteries could be bad after 6 months. I also don't see how that could consistently cause it to weigh differently between the first and subsequent weighings.

You dont really know how old the batteries are - they could have been on a warehouse shelf for a lot longer than 6 months. Or if the scale came with them, the scale could be older than 6 months - its just you that has had both for 6 months.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My scale is the same
    It's so frustrating
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You do all realize that most of the digital scales that give the exact same reading time after time do that because they have a chip inside that tells the display that if the reading is within a certain amount of the last weight displayed to just display that same number again. It is not that your scale is that exact.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I'm thinking this, but not sure how to make sure the next one is better.

Make sure you get a warranty or a refund policy on it. I actually kinda like mine. I have had it four months (below).. I am not sure how much you want to pay.. Its actually on sale on amazon for 52.99.. It integrates with MFP.

https://greatergoods.com/weight-gurus/product/0375/bluetooth-smart-scale