MFP is the new FACEBOOK

Options
fitbisi
fitbisi Posts: 28 Member
Believe it or not, I have been on MFP more than even facebook and the other social media. I am new to mfp and it has been very encouraging, seeing millions of people trying to lose weight (or gain weight).

Facebook and the social media are great, but with MFP, i get to do more because of the idea of weight loss.

Are there any constant loggers out there, Who thinks alike, please add me as a friend and let me know if your MFP experience thus far.

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I have been the same. I find that here I can freely talk about my weight loss and fitness and get positive feedback and constructive criticism . People on Facebook just get annoyed by that stuff. So my weight loss journey is kept for here!!!
  • suarez73
    suarez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm not much for FB or any type of social media but I do like MFP. I find it encouraging and motivating.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    FYI @Cutaway_Collar you can control what certain people see and what you see of other people. I have to say it's not the oldies that ruin it for me....it's the young ones. I have my kid and several of his friends on my FB so I have to watch what I say for them.
  • Fit4LifeGal79
    Fit4LifeGal79 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I've abandoned my FB account for MFP. I won't delete it but it's just there for a random post here and there. I rather interact with the people on here.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I can say things here I cannot say on FB with my in-laws and parents closely following my updates. What the fudge....

I miss being a jerk on FB. I sorely do.

Mark Zuck had the right intentions and spirit for FB when it began. But as usual, the oldies have to come in and ruin it all - quote psalms, share cat pics and share Mark Twain quotes which he never said.

How about those "Marilyn Monroe" quotes? Every time I see one I'm like "SHE NEVER SAID THAT!"

I definitely post more here than any place else because my family kinda sucks and judges me for every little thing I used to put on Facebook. Like when a family member calls my mom and says "oh so I hear Tracy had a date last night at The Cheesecake Factory!" And then I have to give my 80 year old mother a 20 minute explanation on why I "told the world" I was at the Cheesecake Factory. Bad times.

Now the only things I share on Facebook are things related to Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
  • Domino_75
    Domino_75 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. Facebook, especially these days with the stupid election, is all about people making their boring lives sound more important that what they really are. I have so much more in common with my MFP friends and am actually closer to my MFP friends than I am to people IRL. We all have a common bond and I am not the type of person who can go through this "getting healthy" process without a good support system and I definitely don't have that IRL.
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ohhh...I still have facebook lol
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I just follow the veterans' pages on FB these days. Glad you're finding the place supportive, @fitbisi --good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I actually have deactivated facebook recently.. SO tired of seeing all these political arguments and sometimes I find myself thinking,,,, "WHY am I spending so much of my time observing other people's lives?" Like its just a show... k thx byeeee FB
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Never had FB and I have never regretted that decision
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    I actually have deactivated facebook recently.. SO tired of seeing all these political arguments and sometimes I find myself thinking,,,, "WHY am I spending so much of my time observing other people's lives?" Like its just a show... k thx byeeee FB

And the selfie threads here are much more entertaining!

lol feel free to send me a selfie! ;):D
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    FYI @Cutaway_Collar you can control what certain people see and what you see of other people. I have to say it's not the oldies that ruin it for me....it's the young ones. I have my kid and several of his friends on my FB so I have to watch what I say for them.
    Oh Joanna, if you hadn't told me, I'd have died without knowing. Thank you.

Let's not kid ourselves. I don't want to be friends with these people though they are family. I don't need to know their stupid little opinions on Hillary and Trump. And I certainly don't want them to have a damn opinion on my beliefs. I want to be able to air my thoughts without filtering every damn time. Double U Tee Eff! ;)

I've blocked many family and old high school friends. I have hopes that after the election I can unblock them, but I'm sure it won't get much better. Besides, on FB I can't be an attention horse and post daily selfies. :lol:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I like MFP. I also like how I can post during certain hours on MFP but I can't on FB.