Treadmill Recordbreakers

Options
Hi guys, what is the highest number of calories you burn on a treadmill and within what time frame? My maximum so far is 971 cals in 65mins.
Constant logger | Add as friend | New to MFP

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No idea. I don't trust the calories on the machine and the ones at my gym shut off at the hour mark.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    fitbisi wrote: »
    Hi guys, what is the highest number of calories you burn on a treadmill and within what time frame? My maximum so far is 971 cals in 65mins.
    Constant logger | Add as friend | New to MFP

I only do 20 to 30 minutes at a time, so definitely no more than 250. But I've done way higher with 3 hours of gardening.

I have a friend who does 1000 at a time but I don't remember how long it takes her to do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the most i have burnt was around 1200 when i did a half marathon
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The longest I've ever spent on a Treadmill is about 30 minutes, because they're boring as hel.

So about 4 miles, would be 400 calories.

Most I've burned would have been about 6000 calories on a trail Ultra.

fwiw I'd be very sceptical of a treadmill giving nearly 1000 calories in an hour. That would be 10 miles for me, which is pretty rapid.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I went on a treadmill this morning because it's too dark for my normal outdoor run now. Even listening to a podcast I found the consistent pace and lack of scenery/change of terrain deathly boring.

MFP combined with my tomtom watch and fitbit tells me I burnt 245 calories in 20 minutes at 5.2mph on the treadmill plus a 5 minute run to the gym and back, just over 3 miles, which seems pretty high to me.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've done 10K on the treadmill a couple of times - at my state of fitness and weight at the time that'd have been over an hour and over 1000 calories.
  • Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    10 miles when I was marathon training a couple of years ago, which took me 1hr26mins & burned approx. 1100 cals
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You must be a pretty fast runner OP. the most I do is about 750 calories for 1 hour of slow running, keep in mind I'm obese, so someone who is lighter than me would need to be significantly faster than me to achieve the same burn.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I refuse to spend longer than 35 - 40 minutes on a treadmill and its only used in the winter months. I have burned approx 1000 cals in my outdoor half marathon.
  • fitbisi
    fitbisi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The longest I've ever spent on a Treadmill is about 30 minutes, because they're boring as hel.

So about 4 miles, would be 400 calories.

Most I've burned would have been about 6000 calories on a trail Ultra.
    fwiw I'd be very sceptical of a treadmill giving nearly 1000 calories in an hour. That would be 10 miles for me, which is pretty rapid.

Remember your weight depends on also how much calories you burn. The more lbs you have on, the more calories you will burn.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Remember your weight depends on also how much calories you burn. The more lbs you have on, the more calories you will burn.

Yes but the physics of it is still undeniable. To burn almost 1000 calories in an hour you are looking at clocking something on the order of 6:00/mi pace. Guessing you aren't doing that.

The more likely interpretation is that the treadmill is being VERY generous. I know my treadmill will easily report a 1000 calorie burn that is much closer to 500 calories in reality.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    777cbr wrote: »
    I have spent up to 3 1/2 hours on a treadmill before. Don't like running in the snow and in the dark. I feel like there is to much chance for injury. I just put on Netflix and go. I think it builds mental toughness being on the treadmill that long. The funniest thing I ever heard is a guy that would often put long runs on the treadmill and to toughen up all he would do is stare at a white dot on the wall. If he wanted a bit of excitement he would change the color of the dot.

I have learned to embrace the suck. I don't mind doing my long runs on the treadmill anymore. Longest I have ever gone was 2:10 for 18 miles.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    don't use the treadmill much, but once did a charity marathon on one. wasn't bad. Fun atmosphere
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

And your weigth also affects your ability to move rapidly.

I'm still sceptical

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty light so I don't burn as much as a lot of people. My treadmill max is 14 miles (-40 temps outside when half marathon training...I'm another one who prefers to stay in the warm, well-lit gym and avoid dealing with ice and frostbite and just read a book or something) and I burn about 1200-1300 calories doing that at about a 9 min/mile or somewhere in the 6.7-6.9 mph range, just a hair over two hours. I'm not fast, obviously, either.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I stayed on a treadmill until it said I burned 1000 calories once. I went 8 miles in 85 minutes. My iPod died after 2 miles. It was an exercise in self-torture, and I've hated the treadmill since.

(My real calorie burn was probably 700-800 cals.)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Zero. Ask about outdoors, though, and the answer changes drastically.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I stayed on a treadmill until it said I burned 1000 calories once. I went 8 miles in 85 minutes. My iPod died after 2 miles. It was an exercise in self-torture, and I've hated the treadmill since.

(My real calorie burn was probably 700-800 cals.)

I've had my bluetooth headphones die on me within the first few miles. It's enough to make me question my sanity after staying on all the way through 8 miles...
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options

And your weigth also affects your ability to move rapidly.

I'm still sceptical

It was a few years ago and I can't remember exactly what the treadmill read, but it was over 1,000 for an hour of running. I keep it on a 2.0 incline, and the total distance was a little over 7 miles. I'm 5'10" and a little over 200lbs, so I'm guessing the weight thing is what boosted the count.