protein HELP PLEASE

Options
I saw that I am eating too much protein....about double of what I need..I've read that protein will convert to sugar and make you gain weight....How can I cut this back..I'm not getting enough calories but feel satisfied...I'm so confused on the correct diet...I'm 200 lbs and 5_7 tall...30 to 50 lbs off would be great...Exercise is tough for me..Had full knee replaced..It's botched..no good... Swelling an pain...I do what I can...It's the diet I'm having trouble getting right...Any help please!!!!

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Excess protein will convert to glucose. It can only make you gain weight if you are in a caloric surplus. How much protein are you eating?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about protein so much - how many grams per day are you consuming?

As long as you're in a calorie deficit, nothing is going to make you gain fat. It makes no difference if you're getting more protein (or fat, or carbs) than you need if you're otherwise in a calorie deficit.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit and don't have any underlying metabolic or endocrine system issues then eating extra protein shouldn't be a problem.

I personally do try to keep mine at 20% of overall calories because I'm diabetic and some blood tests have shown that I do need to protect those kidneys.
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm below calories from 500+........I had to add food I didn't consume just for the thing to track me...lol...My protein is coming from salmon...eggs..yogurt...sardines..good sources....If I eat just salad no meat I'm under for the day by 800+ calories but would do only one point over on protien....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public so we can take a look...
  • onsickmom
    Options
    118 protein yesterday....That means before I joined this page I was easily eating that much...
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eat all the protein that you want - meat, fish, chicken, eggs, cheese (4 oz). Limit your carbohydrates to 50 g. per day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    118g of protein isn't too much unless it's pushing you over your calorie goals or you have some other health concern. I weigh 185 and maintain at that weight or a hair below it and eat between 170g to 200g of protein a day. Females generally need a bit less but 118 doesn't sound out of range to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eat all the protein that you want - meat, fish, chicken, eggs, cheese (4 oz). Limit your carbohydrates to 50 g. per day.

Why? Completely unnecessary....
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Defiantly not going over on calories....Not getting close to them.....I'm trying to get in the calories..I'd have to eat the whole garden....
  • onsickmom
    Options
    I just started....so if I make it public keep in mind I added stuff to get the calorie up..but didn't eat it all..my bad..
  • onsickmom
    Options
    I haven't ate lunch and dinner yet....I was putting food there to try and plan what I need to be eating????? I'm at a loss.....it's public now!!!!! Go ahead and see where I'm going wrong...Breakfast is happy in my stomach.. can't take that back..would love to tweak the other meals before I consume them
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Add some cooked chicken or tuna to your lunch. Eat protein and fiber at every meal. When you are eating at a deficit, you will lose both muscle and fat. Eating adequate protein will help protect existing muscle.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 125 g of protein a day. 118 is not excessive.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    118g of protein sounds pretty spot on. More won't hurt. MFP's default calculations set protein goals too low for most people. Don't worry about going over that number.

Also, you don't need to stick to salad. Eat what you like, just stay at your calorie goal.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I eat 250g protein and seem to be doing ok not getting fat because of all the glucose.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    I gained this weight from a botched knee surgery....I was hand delivered junk from my family..McDonald's..hotdogs..pizza..etc...Thank you all for your inputs....very much appreciated...I was just worried about messing my body up further not getting in the calories and the thought of protien turning into sugar...I only drink water or letter..A little chicken or beef bone broth if I need meds and tummy is empty