Anybody Run?

Options
Hi my name is Chris. I started my weight loss journey in March of 2015. Since then I've lost as much as 130 lbs. I credit the majority of my weight lose to running. I started slow of course but now I run 4 to 5 miles during the work week and occasional 10 mile run on the weekend. I'm looking for other friends that have a passion for running and also for occasional advice since I still consider myself a novice to the sport. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    HI

I'm a keen runner.

I'm currently not able to at the minute, because of a bad injury, but was in training for marathon/ultras and will get back to it as soon as possible.

Happy to support.

Anyone can add me
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss that is impressive!! I am fairly new to running. I have mastered the 5km run and now I am working my way up to 10km. I run about 23 - 25km per week.

@AprilCoe slow and steady wins the race. Walk/run slowly increasing your running. The most common mistake is doing too much too soon!!

Feel free to add me!!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been running for nearly 9 years now. I'm not fast by any means, but I run!
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for 13 years and ran almost everyday but after I got out in 2005 I didn't run at all anymore. I started running a little last summer but as soon as it got cold I quit. In January I quit smoking and started up again. At first I couldn't run more than 5 minutes. Now I run 60 min or more 5 times a week. I love to run and talk to others about running. If anyone wants to add me, feel free.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hey, that was an awesome weight loss. I run around 100k/month (not much) but I find it wonderful exercise. Running is PERFECT!!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    @epr3996 I don't know what to tell you as I am musically motivated. I have different playlists for different runs. I lose myself in my run! I am so happy that the weather has turned colder finally ... 0-10C is my favourite running temperature. @cbro70 congrats on the quitting smoking...I am coming up on 6 years now...it is not an easy thing to do!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    @epr3996 I forgot to add that when I started running I hated every moment of it. I couldn't catch my breath, I felt like I weighed 500lbs and found myself heavy footed. I was just plain miserable. I stuck with it! When I found myself improving and being able to run for longer periods I started liking it. Now I LOVE IT!! I had a rest day from running today...and really wish I had of run this morning. I am feeling grumpy and sluggish!! Now of course not everyone will love it, but I do hope you keep at it for a while to see if you start enjoying it.

Have you thought of running with someone...maybe conversation will spark something for you?
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I run 5-10 miles three times a week. I love running. It's helped me lose 30 pounds since the spring. Plan on running a half marathon soon.

Best way to start is to use a couch to 5K app. It will ease you in slowly.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and yes to running!!! :)

I run.. you might be able to tell by my avitar.. been running for nearly three years and I race some too.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    @epr3996 ohhh Jackie Bradley Jr has time on his hand now too!!!!

Just slow down then. You don't have to run fast. How I started was walk/run. So I would run for as long as I could then walk to catch my breath. As soon as I did I ran again for as long as I could. I didn't think I could ever run a straight 5km(3.1 miles), but I kept at it and now I can run 8km...I am running 10km on the weekend. I have been pondering training for a half marathon...which I thought was beyond my reach! I would run with you if we were near each other...you could laugh at me too cause I sing when I run. I have my ear buds in and the people around me can only hear my awful voice...LOL
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    epr3996 wrote: »
    I started running or Jogging as I like to call it 2 1/2 months ago looking to lose some weight and get off some daily pills. I find it harder and harder to not be bored while running any suggestions i've tried different routes and different music but still bored after 10 minutes or less!

I listened to podcasts when I was first running on the treadmill, but now I run outside and don't have any distractions apart from trying not to fall on my face. I run with a club sometimes so maybe that would work? Otherwise I tend to just talk to myself and solve all of life's problems during my runs.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I run!

A great place here on MFP is the monthly running challenge thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10463158/october-2016-running-challenge/p1

There is a corresponding MFP group as well: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/21182-monthly-running-challenges

Lots of super friendly, supportive, funny people. And also a great opportunity to learn, even if you just passively read posts, because there are a ton of very experienced runners there as well.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    epr3996 wrote: »

I try and solve all the world's problems but I solve one and find 2 more!

all the more reason to run more - after all, you need that run time to keep solving the problems!!!

• Joanna2012B
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you @epr3996 I get up at 4:45am to run at 5am so I can come home and get ready for work. I have one lady that joins me periodically, but anymore I enjoy running on my own. I get lost in my music or my thoughts. I had to train myself to do so! I am so proud of you my friend!!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I run and walk a lot. Marathon or ultra two to three times a mth. Am into trails now, hope to do the at in a couple of yrs.
  • RLW0930
    RLW0930 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just started walk/jogging last month. Tuesday I did 4.88 miles in 75 minutes. (Slow, I know) but get a little better each time. My next goal is a full 5 miles in 75 minutes, then to get quicker from there. I have a treadmill, but find that running outside keeps my mind occupied. Sucks that it is raining today! Guess treadmill it is!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    @RLW0930 way to go! You are lapping everyone on the couch!!! Have you tried running in the rain? I ran a race earlier this year and it was rain or shine. Well it rained and from that day forward I vowed I would never miss another run because of rain!! It is one of my favourite times.
  • RLW0930
    RLW0930 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @RLW0930 way to go! You are lapping everyone on the couch!!! Have you tried running in the rain? I ran a race earlier this year and it was rain or shine. Well it rained and from that day forward I vowed I would never miss another run because of rain!! It is one of my favourite times.

Thanks Joanna2012B! When I attempting running many years ago, I did run in the rain one time. It was rather refreshing. I may just try it! Thanks!