Treadmill Recordbreakers

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a sanity check for running you can estimate your net calories expended using the following formula (courtesy of Runners World)

.63 x weight in lbs x distance in miles

eg: a 200lb person would expend about 126 cal / mile (assuming relatively level terrain)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    o92p39w3ebdd.png

That's all I got.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    fitbisi wrote: »
    Remember your weight depends on also how much calories you burn. The more lbs you have on, the more calories you will burn.

And your weigth also affects your ability to move rapidly.

I'm still sceptical

My husband weighs twice what I do and runs at the same pace as me, so he usually gets almost twice the burn on a treadmill counter. Running calculators say he burns 1.5x what I do instead of 2x. So while the treadmill readouts aren't really accurate, heavier people do burn significantly more...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

As a sanity check for running you can estimate your net calories expended using the following formula (courtesy of Runners World)

eg: a 200lb person would expend about 126 cal / mile (assuming relatively level terrain)

I did this test on a 5 mile run (outside I might add) and according to this my 5.0 mile run would have burned 346 calories, my forerunner hrm came to be 395.. so pretty close..
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt you, but I was in a debate on a bike forum with somebody who insisted that walking and running burn the same number of calories for the same distance, kept saying that running only gets it over with more quickly. I pointed out that running involves jumping and is more physical work, but to no avail. Being able to cite this would have been useful.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill... *shivers*
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My husband weighs twice what I do and runs at the same pace as me, so he usually gets almost twice the burn on a treadmill counter. Running calculators say he burns 1.5x what I do instead of 2x. So while the treadmill readouts aren't really accurate, heavier people do burn significantly more...

As highlighted upthread, bodymass and distance are the key points.

For me, at 160lbs, I'll need to run 10 miles to burn 1000 cals. My best 10 mile time is 80 minutes.

If I were 320lbs then it would only take 5 miles to burn 1000 calories. Having never been 320lbs I've got no idea whether running 5 miles in an hour is realistic at that weight.

Wouldn't disagree that some treadmills might display that figure, it's just not credible though.
  • BrianSharpe
    edited October 2016
    Options

Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt you, but I was in a debate on a bike forum with somebody who insisted that walking and running burn the same number of calories for the same distance, kept saying that running only gets it over with more quickly. I pointed out that running involves jumping and is more physical work, but to no avail. Being able to cite this would have been useful.

Running burns roughly double the number of calories compared to walking the same distance.

runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Running burns roughly double the number of calories compared to walking the same distance.

runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

You could also point the guy to a MET values diagram. Running MET is roughly double that of walking.
  • dmullen75
    dmullen75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Polar H7 hrm along with the Polar Beats app and my 45 minute treadmill run tonight calculated at around 750 cals. I was varying my incline but ended up with a 156 bpm average. Sound about right?
  • fitbisi
    fitbisi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @Sued0nim I don't keep a steady pace either, it varies from running to fast walking.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    @Sued0nim I don't keep a steady pace either, it varies from running to fast walking.

So that number is probably a bit optimistic, then - do you know how many miles you covered? That can help with estimating too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    dmullen75 wrote: »
    I'm using the Polar H7 hrm along with the Polar Beats app and my 45 minute treadmill run tonight calculated at around 750 cals. I was varying my incline but ended up with a 156 bpm average. Sound about right?

How many miles did you run?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I weigh 238lbs right now which I guess would almost be about right.

So six miles in that hour?

A decent pace then.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

How far did you run? How much do you weigh? (There is not a linear relationship between heart rate & caloric expenditure....) 750 cal in 45 minutes sounds optimistic.......
  • jamesdaustin70
    jamesdaustin70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, what is the highest number of calories you burn on a treadmill and within what time frame? My maximum so far is 971 cals in 65mins.
    Constant logger | Add as friend | New to MFP

Mine is 405 in 65 min. last night. I just started 4 weeks ago and I was in rough shape.
  • dmullen75
    dmullen75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

How far did you run? How much do you weigh? (There is not a linear relationship between heart rate & caloric expenditure....) 750 cal in 45 minutes sounds optimistic.......

I'm at 203 and did 4 miles at a straight 6mph with a .25 mile cool down. Again the app calculated the calories burned and has my weight in it.
  • fitbisi
    fitbisi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh 238lbs right now which I guess would almost be about right.

So six miles in that hour?

A decent pace then.

Actually it's like 4.3 miles within the hour and a 6" incline the whole time