Difficult Weight loss with hypothyroidism

Options
I was diagnosed 5 years back and since then it's very difficult to lose weight, with all the fatigue and low motivation and energy again it get impossible. But with positive energy I started this weight loss journey. I was 210lbs and now 180lbs after 1 year of
struggle and I will keep going till I reach 143lb which was before my hypothyroid diagnosis. I know many of you out there have same problem. Let's join in and keep motivating each other.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been an issue really as long as my levels are right. If you're feeling fatigue, perhaps you should have your levels checked again. If you are properly medicated you shouldn't be having symptoms and it shouldn't be any more difficult to lose weight than it is for anyone else.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! That's a terrific start!

Is your hypothyroidism being properly medicated? The reason I'm asking is I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, am post-menopausal and lost 75 lbs in under a year. I didn't find it all that much more difficult to do than a 'normal' person would, once my thyroid levels were properly compensated for with meds. When was the last time you had your levels checked?
  • rupalikatole
    rupalikatole Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi snickerscharlie, you make a very good question. My thyroid is very sensitive, I have it checked every 8 weeks. I am 27 and my doctor says that I need to take meds different strength alternating days. It's really weird but my levels are normal now but too much water retention. That's why too much trouble.
  • visapanini
    visapanini Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi all - just joined. Use a UP24 band and try to get up to 7k steps each day. In summer, used to easily do over 10k.
    Have steadily gone from 68kg to 76kg over last 3 years with hypo thyroid being detected.
    Take thyroxine-and levels are stable.
    winter is harder as sleep more and have less sunlight so go out less and less active.
    Plus, love hot puddings!! Comfort food.
    Spend summer gardening alot but less after Nov.
    I also find im more sensitive to SAD or low
    Mood due to low light. Sweet foods are the goto for a mood lift.
    Be good to stay in touch.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi snickerscharlie, you make a very good question. My thyroid is very sensitive, I have it checked every 8 weeks. I am 27 and my doctor says that I need to take meds different strength alternating days. It's really weird but my levels are normal now but too much water retention. That's why too much trouble.

That's not unusual. I alternated between 125mcg and 137mcg for a time. Does your doctor treat according to labs only, or does he/she treat according to how you feel? My doctor uses labs, of course, but also wants to know that I'm feeling well. My labs may be in the normal range, but that doesn't mean they are optimal for me. If I were you, I'd ask my doctor to treat my symptoms, not just go by lab results.

• rupalikatole
    Options
    I would definitely ask my doctor this. Thank you for suggesting, it will change many things.
  • rupalikatole
    Options
    Visapanini you are absolutely perfect... I get sad and low and it becomes really difficult to stay away from sweet when every bone in your body is telling you to do so. Hopefully this winter is better and stay strong and stick to my goal
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Weight gain from water retention is not the same as fat gain. Are you perhaps also consuming too much salt in your diet?
  • visapanini
    visapanini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Rupal
    Thanks for friend invite - will accept.
    Also, with hypo thyroid infind I am always feeling colder than other ppl. Wear more layers and generally feel like going bed early as nights get darker - but after few hours, wake and cant sleep!! This is when get midnight munchies! Hot milk, biscuits etc!!!! LOl! So again, Winter is v challenging/ am now keeping Dry Dates and Figs and Prunes handy for healthy snacks at night.
  • rupalikatole
    Options

Weight gain from water retention is not the same as fat gain. Are you perhaps also consuming too much salt in your diet?

Yes you are right water retention is major problem and salt intake is very difficult to monitor. Although I am using MFP but it gives you grams measurements, how do you guys monitor?
  • rfjl
    rfjl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a thyroidectomy (they saved my 4 para-thyroids) a few years ago I do have a problem with weight loss and fluid retention. Figure most of it is my own fault! I have slipped about eating correctly and let my salt/sodium level go up. Plus I have a reaction to modern wheat that causes me to swell 3 to 4 pounds in one day. If I remember right, being almost 70, I do forget a lot of stuff, your sodium should be about 1500 grams per day according to fda. Believe it or not if you do not drink enough plain water that can cause swelling too.
    Good Luck and Bless you for getting a healthier lifestyle.
    PS keep in mind that lots of sea salts do not contain iodine which your thyroid needs. Be sure and check the label.
  • lynnae930
    lynnae930 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have hashimotos. My doctor orders labs every 6 months to make sure I am on the correct dosage. I just read a book called Menopause Diet where I learned a lot about diet during perimenopause, but I also learned that I was eating things that were making my thyroid medication less effective - uncooked spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts to name a few. The book recommends a balance of 40% protein, 35% carb, 25% fat for this stage, and the hashimotos throws a monkey wrench into it! Fitness pal makes it east to stay within the guidelines.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Rupa, I had hashimotos from my early 20s but was not diagnosed until late 20s. I also deal with a lack of motivation but it gets better when I follow a ketogenic diet which is high fat, moderate protein, extremely low carb.