Low calorie energy drinks that aren't bad for you ?!?

Options
I have to pull two all nighters this week, tonight and Thursday night, because I have 2 midterms and haven't studied.... I'm being a typical college student cramming it all in the night before. I know I'm going to be tired since I woke up at 8 and will be watching my 19 month old all day so does anyone have any suggestion for low calorie energy drinks that aren't bad for me to take? I used to just drink Starbucks or Monster but with about 200 calories in one that isn't going to cut it anymore. Thanks!

Replies

• msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What about the 5 hour enery little shot thing...I think it is about 5 calories..Have you ever tried that?
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Why not have a cup of coffee...

I don't really know anything about energy drinks but when I need a serious pick me up coffee does the trick.

I put stevia in it and skim milk.
  • hunterdog
    hunterdog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Monster has a absolute zero and a low carb version. Even though energy drinks arn't the best for you, I really like these two. The low carb one tastes like cotton candy in a can. WAHOO :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Look for something organic if you can. Sambazon makes some good ones.
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like red bull sugar free, but I dont know if they are or arent bad for you? I would assume that a day or two wouldnt be terrible for you.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like FRS ' non carbonated can energy drinks the ones i buy have 25 cals.

http://www.frs.com/
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    I personally like the Monster Rehab. It's like 10 calories per serving, and it doesn't just give energy, it also rehydrates you, and it's not carbonated (which is what I HATE about regular energy drinks).
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    The 5 Hour Energy shots are VERY dangerous. The commercials don't tell you that the serving size is actually half that little bottle. I took one once and thought I was going to have a heartattack. Of course though, everyone is different, those things just scare me. Black coffee is always good, and not bad for you. Also, Rockstar makes a zero carb fruity punch option and the regular flavor no sugar no carb option. I have no idea what the sugar content in that might be though, the fruity punch one I mean.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there's no such thing as an "energy" drink that isn't bad for you. Black coffee is your best bet.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ya, like I said I never tried the 5 hr energy shot things but im not into it at all anyways. I dont want to be taking something that is unnaturally speeding up my heart rate..The thing for me is that coffee doesnt really wake me up or give me any energy...its just the habit and comfort I get. lol
  • allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm not much of a coffee drinker unless it's Stabucks and I always end up getting really sugary/high calorie content coffees. I think I'm going to go with Monster Rehab, I'm so addicted to Monster Energy drinks already. It'll keep me hydrated and also has only 20 calories a can. Thanks everyone for the great advice though!
  • licklicklolo
    Options
    all energy drinks are bad for you so you need to stop using them, this is a serious problem and i know somone who passed from energy drinks it won't make a dfference if it is low cafbs people are dead , you can have heart attack and heaps of other stuff too, you can get diabetties from this ,. its just isn't a good picture in your head for example you wouldn't wnat you familey or pears to have a heath issue or scare, this is criticaland it needs to be stoped,
  • onevision
    Options
    I have to pull two all nighters this week, tonight and Thursday night, because I have 2 midterms and haven't studied.... I'm being a typical college student cramming it all in the night before. I know I'm going to be tired since I woke up at 8 and will be watching my 19 month old all day so does anyone have any suggestion for low calorie energy drinks that aren't bad for me to take? I used to just drink Starbucks or Monster but with about 200 calories in one that isn't going to cut it anymore. Thanks!

I don't think you can have an "energy drink" that is low cal - calories are a measure of energy. If what you need is to keep awake then I always go for the low cal "black coffee"!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Crystal light energy is cheap and mostly B vitamins
  • licklicklolo
    Options
    help me on this and join the face book group ENERGY IS MY ENEMY(energy drinks)
  • Rocnut
    Rocnut Posts: 19
    Options
    Need to ween myself off the daily rockstar sugar free drink. I can't get going without it. But I feel like crap after drinking the 16oz. tall can.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Black coffee? Espresso?
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hydrive is a water drink that I *think* is good for you. It's non-carbonated. Energy drinks are bad, I've recently gotten off my oneaday kick for over a year now (yikes!).

Organic coffee and tea. Your tastebuds will adjust :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    um, my take is that since you don't have time to experiment, DO NOT try something new. I imagine that doing well on your exams is important to you. Given your stated study plan for those exams, I think you need to go with something that YOU KNOW WORKS FOR YOU. If you try something new for you simply to consume something with fewer calories, then one of these three things will happen: (1) you will make it through the study session fine and be at your best for your exam; (2) the new energy drink you try won't keep you awake sufficiently to study; or (3) the new energy drink you try will wreak havoc with your mind and body and you'll be a mess by the time of the exam. This isn't the time to experiment. Go with something you know and something you trust. Screw the calories. You need to pass these exams, no?
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    WOULD NOT recommend this for long term usage, but caffeine pills are disturbingly easily acquired if you go to whatever supplement store.

Most come in 100 pill packs for about $16 CAN. 200 mg of caffeine per tablet, so it comes out to about 8 cents per 100mg.

If it's efficiency you want, can't get much cheaper. A similar amount of caffeine in a coffee costs ten times more.

But like I said, DO NOT PROLONG USE. Best if you didn't have to do this at all. Also drink lots of water, because you WILL feel dehydrated.