Am I too thin?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about clothing sizes. I am a 0 at Gap and a 10 in other brands. Generally it's a big shock to see someone lose so much weight. Unless they're jealous, it's probably hard for them to compute the huge difference in the way you look. Give them time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think you look wonderful.

People are so used to seeing overweight and obese people that that they aren't accustomed to what a healthy, normal weight person looks like. People who know the formerly overweight you are so used to seeing that version of you that now they judge you by that standard. You can feel free to ignore them!
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think you look wonderful.

People are so used to seeing overweight and obese people that that they aren't accustomed to what a healthy, normal weight person looks like. People who know the formerly overweight you are so used to seeing that version of you that now they judge you by that standard. You can feel free to ignore them!

I agree with the above. I started at 203 in June, now 183 and on my way to 160. People are telling me "don't get too skinny" and "If I were you i'd stay at what you are now"....I think people are used to seeing overweight/obese now (Houston, TX)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You look perfect!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They are trying to make themselves feel better about their weight. Ignore them.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Right after my weight loss my face looked really gaunt and saggy. This lends itself to looking too thin. At you height and weight you are right in the middle of BMI. If you give yourself some time and do some weight lifting your face and body will normalize. That has been my experience.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ~!~!~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ~!~!~

I think I have seen people say that adding muscle will help with the droopy. I am 43, I am not at my goal yet, but I have been there before and I know that my tiger striped belly is going to droop.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    They are trying to make themselves feel better about their weight. Ignore them.

Unlikely.

Usually, they just have a mental image of "you" that is what they're used to. And "real you" doesn't match "mental image you" anymore. As you maintain the weight, they'll get more used to "real you" and the mental image will change. Also, I think we're wired to perceive fast weight loss as being due to poor health (since historically poor health would be the main reason for sudden weight loss). As you maintain the weight and people get used to seeing you at that weight, that subconscious worry gets allayed.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You are the same height and weight as me, so you are a good size. Room to go a bit up or down depending on your preferences, but also just fine where you are!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    My BMI is smack in the middle and everything I read says 135 is ideal for my height. It is so hard to tell because I am droopy! Lol!

Droopy is a product of body fat %, not weight. A person weighing 160 with a lower body fat % than you might be less droopy than you. A person weighing 120 with a comparable body fat % than you or higher would still be droopy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    My BMI is smack in the middle and everything I read says 135 is ideal for my height. It is so hard to tell because I am droopy! Lol!

Droopy is a product of body fat %, not weight. A person weighing 160 with a lower body fat % than you might be less droopy than you. A person weighing 120 with a comparable body fat % than you or higher would still be droopy.

Droopy is also a product of loose skin.
  • Blondieee00
    Blondieee00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    5'6. 51 years old, tomorrow.

Not at all... I'm almost 4 inches taller than you , weigh the same and am looking to lose ten lbs XD
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    They will get used to your new and smaller size soon.
    :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    They will get used to your new and smaller size soon.
    :)

Yeah they will. I stayed around the same weight for all of my adult life (143ishlbs). I then put on around 30lbs, which i stayed at for a couple of years. I lost the weight and got down to around 145lbs, this is when i started to get the "Are you on drugs" and "Do you have cancer" comments!

Long story short, people got used to the overweight me so quickly and magically forgot what i used to look like just 2 short years before... Very strange lol
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

My droopy is loose skin. I am pretty muscular. Just droopy belly and underside of my arms. Doctor has already confirmed it.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks for all the comments. I forgot I had said it was my birthday in my post.

I am 20 pounds lighter than my profile picture. I love being considered too thin! Such a change! My mom is always telling me I will look old if I keep losing weight. And my Fitbit Charge HR hurts when I wear it at night now, which makes no sense to me because my wrist circumference hasn't changed any. I have tiny wrists and the Charge is so bulky!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

My droopy is loose skin. I am pretty muscular. Just droopy belly and underside of my arms. Doctor has already confirmed it.

I've lost 92 pounds. I feel you! I even have it on the inside of my thighs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

In that case, losing more weight might produce more droopy.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Whether you are too thin is an issue between you, your doctor, and perhaps the few people closest to you that you trust to be honest and only have your best interests at heart. It has nothing to do with your pants size, but more with your general wellness (mental and physical) . I say this because sometimes people do see us more clearly than we see ourselves. A lot of folks ate giving a hard rap to any concern, but if it's someone whose judgement you value, it's be worth a consideration.

Everyone else can be given a smile and say "Thank you, I feel great.!" If they were genuinely concerned, it should mollify them. If they were being passive aggressively critical, it'll shut them down, and if they were trying to compliment you, they're acknowledged without embarrassment.