Help!

Options
Has anyone experienced hair loss while dieting?? I'm losing hair by the handfuls it's scary

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How deep is your calorie deficit? Are you getting adequate protein?
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and i eat around 1300-1400cals a day and my protein intake is 50-60
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • AveyHam
    Options
    That's how much i eat on days i exercise. on sedentary days i eat 1200cals
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Are you at your goal weight? Have you had a check up with your doctor lately?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whats your exercise routine? And how much weight have you lost?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Hair loss is not normal or ok!!!

You could be exercising too much, eating too little, too stressed out (mentally or physically), eating too little protein, anemic, have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, there's something wrong with your thyroid, or something else is happening- that's why you should see a doctor to figure it out.

In your profile pic you look thin, I wonder if you have reached your ideal weight and now need to slowly reverse diet to a proper maintenance calories level? 1200 calories on rest days and 1300 to 1400 on exercise days is probably not enough, and it's not good to eat in a deficit forever.

Definitely see your doctor and have them run tests, losing hair by handfuls is not normal. A little hair loss every day in your hairbrush is normal but not an excessive amount.
  • AveyHam
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'm almost at my goal weight and no i haven't
  • AveyHam
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

My workouts are pretty intense i do 40 minutes of HIIT plus 30 minutes of weight training 5-6 times a week
  • AveyHam
    Options

You could be exercising too much, eating too little, too stressed out (mentally or physically), eating too little protein, anemic, have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, there's something wrong with your thyroid, or something else is happening- that's why you should see a doctor to figure it out.

In your profile pic you look thin, I wonder if you have reached your ideal weight and now need to slowly reverse diet to a proper maintenance calories level? 1200 calories on rest days and 1300 to 1400 on exercise days is probably not enough, and it's not good to eat in a deficit forever.

Definitely see your doctor and have them run tests, losing hair by handfuls is not normal. A little hair loss every day in your hairbrush is normal but not an excessive amount.

I take iron and zinc supplements daily so i don't think it could be iron deficiency but i will see my doctor soon thanks for the reply
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    AveyHam wrote: »

My workouts are pretty intense i do 40 minutes of HIIT plus 30 minutes of weight training 5-6 times a week

THAT! Next question: What is your maintenance level of calories?

And then the next question: What is your weekly weight loss goal?

And, the last necessary question: What is your self-selected "activity level" in myfitnesspal?

• psuLemon
    Options

So if you are working out hard, lean and young, why would you eat so little? Aggressive cuts in calories, with fairly low protein, can definitely contribute to deficiencies.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor for a blood test. It could be anemia, b12 deficiency, low protein, a stressful event, and more. We can't possibly know until you go and get a test.

I was also losing hair and went to my doctor (this happened a few months ago) and It took over 3 months for me to start losing my hair after being ill with pneumonia in the early summer. It took about 4 months for the hair loss to stop and then i was told it could take another 6 months after the hair loss stops to start seeing regrowth. So... who knows! Go see your doc!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I take iron and zinc supplements daily so i don't think it could be iron deficiency but i will see my doctor soon thanks for the reply

How much iron and what form is it? To correct iron deficiency anemia, much more iron than the RDA is generally needed. Do get your iron levels tested, as well as discussing the other possible causes mentioned in this thread with your doctor.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »

And, the last necessary question: What is your self-selected "activity level" in myfitnesspal?

Omg..none of you are doctors. There could be many things other than food causing hairloss. Doctor is the best answer

Yea bro we get that. Doctor was already suggested multiple times. Doesn't mean the OP can't take active steps until that occurs, driven from the experiences of others. OP isn't the only one who has gone through this.

Yep, agreed. We have a young OP who's basically at goal weight cutting at basically TDEE -50%. Like everyone said, yes get to the doctor, but the level of cut here is a giant flashing red light.
  • AveyHam
    Options

Probably around 2000cals

I aim for 1-1.5 pounds

And I've selected sedentary
  • AveyHam
    Options

How much iron and what form is it? To correct iron deficiency anemia, much more iron than the RDA is generally needed. Do get your iron levels tested, as well as discussing the other possible causes mentioned in this thread with your doctor.

50 mgs of elemental iron
  • psuLemon
    Options

Probably around 2000cals

I aim for 1-1.5 pounds

For a lean active person, 800 calorie reduction is very aggressive, especially with low protein. I would bump to 1600 and get protein around 100g ish. If you are trying to get more defined, you need a dietary program and workout to support that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Probably around 2000cals

I aim for 1-1.5 pounds

For a lean active person, 800 calorie reduction is very aggressive, especially with low protein. I would bump to 1600 and get protein around 100g ish. If you are trying to get more defined, you need a dietary program and workout to support that.

Agreed, and honestly (shot in the dark, but...) with all of that exercise maintenance is probably closer to 2300 to 2400.