Curry with no or low carbs

Options
jameses
jameses Posts: 22 Member
What else can you have with a curry that either has no or hardly any carbs. Im trying to stay away from the carbs and doing quite well but one of my favorite meals are currys (Madras) The homemade madras is quite low in calories itself but when you add either Rice, Bread, or Chapatis its really bulks up trhe calories.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Zolita
    Zolita Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make mine with Cous Cous, put some chopped coriander in it and you are good to go. Or my trainer says to eat brown rice as it is better for you than white rice.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vegetables?
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I put curry on my chicken salad with red grapes yum
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Miracle Noodles (No carbs, no fat, no calories). I use them all the time.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com
  • determined2bfit
    determined2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I put curry on my chicken salad with red grapes yum
    I do as well and it is soooo yummy!
  • jameses
    Options
    Im liking the look of the http://www.miraclenoodle.com idea, does anyone know if we have this sort of thing in the UK?
  • bununu
    bununu Posts: 12
    Options
    Could you post a recipe for a low calorie Madras Curry? I have always been intimated with exploring the world of curries; but I completely succumb to them about once a month at the Indian Food Carts on my campus. I'd like to make a diet friendly version.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i do shirataki noodles, veggies (bell peppers, bean sprouts, cauliflower, cilantro, etc) and chicken breast meat
  • sequoialea
    sequoialea Posts: 26
    Options
    How about quinoa? It low in carbs, high in protein. Here's the data from the food database on here.

Bulk quinoa:
    Calories 222 Sodium 13 mg
    Total Fat 4 g Potassium 318 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 39 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 3%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 15%
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How about some cauliflower 'rice' or mash?
    Feels and tastes like carbs, but isn't.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Im liking the look of the http://www.miraclenoodle.com idea, does anyone know if we have this sort of thing in the UK?
    You can get shiritaki noodles in Oriental food shops.

Also try having your curry with lentils - high in protein and "slow carb".
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i love madras and i love rice 2, i wanted 2 start eating brown rice as it is better 4 u but i heard lots of ppl say it was hard n horrible, i found a site that was very usefull, read the bottom and it says if u have never had it before do half white and half brown and soak the brown in hot water. I soaked the brown in hot water for half hour then put all the rice together in fresh hot water and cooked for 25 mins and i loved it, nxt time im having just brown. Good luck :0)
    http://www.health.food-recipe-cooking.com/brown-rice-health-benefit.htm
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i googled it 2 see and i found it in the uk. :0)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Low carb accompaniments:

Palak Paneer- Spinach with spices, a hint of tomato & indian paneer cheese cubes.

Cauliflower 'rice' (search the recipe forum here for recipe/method for this).

Cauliflower parboiled with turmeric (makes it yellow) then finished off roasted int he oven with cumin & mustard seeds.

Spiced roasted aubergines (eggplants)

Red lentil Daal

Cucumber & red onion salad with fresh corriander (cilantro) & yoghurt dressing.

Okra (Ladies fingers) with cumin & tomatoes
  • jameses
    Options
    Chicken/Lamb Madras (Authentic)

In order to make an authentic chicken madras you nead to do the prep work first, but if you do you will make authentic currys like the curry house. The preperation of this meal is not quick but once you have done the prep everything else is a piece of cake.

This is what the resturants dont want you to know.

You will see below that i will refer to Mix Power a few times, mix powder is the chefs mix of spices, you can find a example of my mix powder below.

Mix Powder (Mix together)

8 teaspoons of turmeric
    5 teaspoons of corriander Powder
    4 teasponns of mild madras powder
    4 teaspoons of cumin powder
    3 tesponns of paprika powder
    1 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1 teaspoon of ginger powder

You will also see me refering to pre cooked meat this is your chicken or lamb depending on what madras you are cooking. This is the reason why curry houses can knock your currys out quickly, this is how you prepare the chicken

Ingredients

Chicken Breast cut into chunks,
    Enough Water to cover the chicken by a couple of inches in the pan,
    ½ teaspoon of Salt,
    1 tablespoon of Tomato Paste,
    1 tablespoon of Mix Powder,
    1 teaspoon of Fenugreek Leaves,

1. Add all ingredients to a saucepan,
    2. Bring to a gentle boil,
    3. Simmer until the chicken is just cooked through.
    4. Drain and its ready for use or can be refrigerated until needed.

Step 1 Making The Curry Base (Garabi)

750 Grams of chopped onions.
    1 Carrot Chopped
    1 Red Pepper Chopped
    1 Green Pepper Chopped
    4 - 6 Garlic Cloves
    Fresh Ginger (A good chunk of it chopped)
    1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
    1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
    Good sized bunch of fresh corriander
    1 Fresh green chilli
    Salt

1. Put all the ingrediants into a a pan with a lid of boiling water and boil for 45 minutes or until all the ingrediants go nice and soft.

2. No we need to add the spices to the pan. you need to add 2 tbsp of mix powder (See Above) and then add half a tin 200g of plum tomotoes

3. Leave the lid of your pan and reduce the water down a bit, cook that for another 20 - 25 minutes

4. once you have done that all you need to do is blend it in a food processor or a hand blender until you get a nice smooth mixture. That is your base done. if after blending it is too dry then you can add some water to it but this consistancy should be fine

Ingredients
    1- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil,
    1 large teaspoon of Garlic,
    2 tablespoons of slightly watered down Tomato Paste,
    1 tablespoon of Mix Powder,
    1 teaspoon of Chilli Powder,
    1 teaspoon of Fenugreek Leaves (Methi),
    ¼ teaspoon of Salt,
    2 tablespoons of chopped Coriander,
    8 - 10 pieces of pre-cooked Meat
    300 ml of Hot Base Gravy,

1. Preheat a pan to medium heat.
    2. Add the vegetable oil
    3. Add the garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute or until the garlic starts to go golden.
    4. Add the tomato paste and stir in well for about 30 seconds or so.
    5. Add the Mix powder, chilli powder, salt and methi.
    6. Add a little water or base gravy if this gets toodry.
    7. Add 150 ml of base gravy and stir well. Turn up the heat and add the meat along with 1tablespoon of coriander.
    8. Keep stirring. Add a little more of the base gravy and stir in. Reduce to the consistency you want and
    9. When almost done, towards the end of the reduction, add the rest of the coriander.

You will have left over base gravy so you can either cook more currys and store them or store the base gravy either in the frige or the freezer until you want to use it again. If you have the base gravey the all you need to do is follow the rest of the recipe and should be really easy to make a quick curry. The base gravey is used in nearly all currys, i will add new currys on here in due course

Hopefully this has given you some insight on how to make an authentic curry

Thank you