New to running

Options

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on how to like running? I know this is kind of a silly question..I did the c25k for like a week and a half..and quit because my knees were killing me (I was doing a squat challenge at the same time, so that probably didn't help) I know I definitely get a better workout while doing the c25k, but I absolutely dread it. I don't have a treadmill so I have to do it outside, and I'm alright on flat road, but the hills at the end of the run kill me. I know most of you are going to probably say just do it. And that's probably what I need to do. But I'm scared of the "ding" that tells me to start running. I listen to music too when I"m doing it. Just would like some advise please:)

Do you actually want to run? I don't see the value in trying to force yourself into a hobby you don't actually enjoy. There are so many types of exercise, it should be easy to find one you love.

If you actually want to run, my advise is to slow down. Even if you think you're already going slower than a turtle, slow down. You can work on speed later, but in the beginning you just want to finish the run.

• cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @Mamzelc606 Way to go !!!! Keep it up. Glad you are enjoying your runs. I too run mostly on the treadmill. One thing I do to help build up my speed is to use inclines. I might run 5 min at 0% then 2 min 1%, then 5 min at 0 again then 2 min 3%. It keeps you thinking and makes the run a little more fun.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I want to want to run..if that makes sense. I want to be able to run. To even be able to run a mile without stopping..would be such an accomplishment for me..I would feel unstoppable if I could do that!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'd say ditch the app, and you do you. just go out and go for a run. when you are feeling out of breath, slow for a walk. when you are no longer breathing heavily, start running again.

as far as pace goes, you shouldn't really be pushing yourself too hard for like, 80% of your runs, especially in the beginning. one day you might be looking to do a marathon or come in under 20 minutes for a 5k, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. at the moment, your pace should be comfortable enough that you could talk to someone next to you. if you don't have a running buddy, just try humming or low singing.

good luck.
  • alc649
    Options
    That's a good idea @Capt_Apollo . How would you recommend logging it on mfp? Just as a walk maybe?
  • cbro70
    Options
    If you do intervals you log part as a walk and the rest as jogging. I good walking pace is like 3.4/3.6.
  • alc649
    Options
    Would you do half walking half running?
  • alc649
    Options
    as far as logging i mean
  • cbro70
    Options
    Yeah, that is what I would do. Last year when I started I wrote everything down. Is an great way to keep track of what you did. I look back now and it feels so awesome to see how far I have come in just 8 months
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I walk because I never thought I'd run again with all of my previous injuries, nerve damage, etc. But, I found that this summer I could run up hills when walking which seemed to make the hills easier. Then I simply ran a bit more and more, and now I run about half of my walking routine which is a 5k or more six days a week. I love to run, but am not good enough to run a full 5k, I can do about half if I walk in-between spurts of running. However, I lost the majority of my weight by fast walking up to 4mph. If you don't like running, don't do it.. just walk as fast as you can. When you lose your weight that you want, you will find it easier to run, and you may enjoy it better. Both running and walking are great forms of exercise!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Mamzelc606 wrote: »
    I am doing c25k right now. I had already started in the past and quit because it was killing me. This time I run waaaayyy slower and I enjoy it, actually look forward to my runs. I am on week 4 now and I can already see my speed naturally increasing. (I run on a treadmill btw)

Really really don't worry about speed right now. In a couple of weeks you'll hit the dreaded 20minute run, and I found the best way through that was to go at a slower pace until o got to the end. Otherwise you become one of the many who fail at that week.

C25k is about increasing your endurance not speed. The key idea is to get you to run for 30 minutes continually. That may or may not get you to a 5k distance (it probably won't).

I started c25k about this time last year. I'm now considering a half marathon in the spring and am in a constant state of surprise that I am actually now a runner.
  • cbro70
    Options
    @girlnahat that is awesome !!! congrats. The same happenes to me, I was amazed last week when I ran 8 miles. I have not ran that distance since I was in the Army, a very long time ago. I am now able to run a faster 2 mile than ever have. It comes with time !!!
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Check with your local running stores; they often have running groups, and sometimes they will have a beginning running group. I go to one once a week. The group does a lot of walk/run intervals, or whatever pace/interval/run as the group that day feels like. It's a good pace plus you get to converse to take your mind of the running, and you get the benefit of getting advice from others that have been running and/or are recently new.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but have since come to love it. I'm actually training for my 1st marathon which I would have thought was crazy!! You do want to start very slow, doing walking / running intervals. Your pace when running should be one where you can hold a conversation while talking. Gradually build to longer times / distances running.

The other thing is that neither running nor squats should cause pain in your knees. If it does, you probably need to correct your form or you could have a medical issue with your knees. I myself used to experience knee pain and once I corrected my form, the knee pain has went away. I'll still get it on occasion when I do long runs (over 10 miles), but it's very rare.

Here is a link on proper running form: http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form

With squats, make sure you are sitting back in your heels and that your legs/glutes are doing the work. don't let your knees go past your toes.

Hope that helps! :)
  • newhighnewlow
    newhighnewlow Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how fast I was going, I wasn't actually running, just jogging really. I'll try and keep that in mine @peleroja thank you :) I've got alotta weight I'm lugging around..I've lost 20lbs but still at 264.

For me, when I was 225... running was out of the question. Too much weight on my knees. Instead, I rode a bike until I had built up a bit of quad/hamstring strength, and then went back to running. I think at that point, I was closer to 200 or 210... but I had enough leg strength to support the weight... at about an 11 or 12 minute mile.

Fast forward 6 months and I can run 10+miles without feeling like death, and I'm running about 4 minutes faster per mile (I have been an on and off runner for a long time, so I wouldn't necessarily expect most people to get down to 7 minute miles in a 6 month period... but I do think you can gain endurance and speed that will make running feel much more rewarding!)
  • alc649
    Options
    OH man I dk what to do..Maybe I should ride my bike instead before I try running again? I don't know man.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to run maybe 2 minutes and give up. That was when I was skinnier a few years ago! I hated running. This summer I gave C25k a shot. Like others have said, go slow. I used map my run while using C25k. When I started, my runs were 15-16 minutes per mile. I jogged at a walking pace to ease my joints into it. You have to pace yourself or you'll never get to your goals. Four months later and I'm running 4.5 miles in under an hour! I never thought I'd be able to run for a solid 45 mins! Running is a mental game, keep telling yourself you can do it. Don't worry about pace, that will come with running more and going farther. I did a 5k in 30 minutes last month. Which is a huge improvement from my 45-50 minute 5k.

Good luck OP. You'll be amazed what you can accomplish by staying motivated. :)
  • avonarlene86
    avonarlene86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K back in May and then other commitments (rehearsals 3 times a week which were also a good workout!) And re-started the app today. Was running for 60 secs and walking for 90secs, definitely didn't feel as bad as when I started the first time! There is a 5k in my area in 12 weeks so going to sign up for that this week!
  • alc649
    Options
    @josette06 that's about what my time was when I was doing the c25k week 1.16 mins per mile..I think I might give the running thing a shot again. Just go slow. And I might not do that app right away..just run/walk on my own and build up to the app. Thank you so much for all of the advise. You guys are AWESOME!!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I listen to the Zombies, Run app. They have a Zombies, Run 5k as well. Similar to C25K. I enjoy the story line and it distracts me a bit from running.