October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing that!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    12 October - 1.5 miles
    13 October - 1.0 miles
    14 October - 1.5 miles 11:46 mile

Goal: 24 miles
    Total to date: 4 miles

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 2.08 Easy
    10/4 - 4.0 Easy Track AM
    10/4 - 2.04 XC Indian Run PM
    10/5 - 7.18 Easy W/ 2 @ MP
    10/6 - 5.13 Easy
    10/7 - 5.25 Easy
    10/9 - 26.53 Prairie Fire Marathon
    10/10 - 1.12 Super Easy
    10/11 - 3.31 Recovery
    10/14 - 2.0 Treadmill - Strength Training Warmup

Total 58.64 of 140 Miles

Did some Elliptical the other day and took yesterday off to let the legs have some extra time to heal. Legs are about as fully recovered from the marathon as possible, at least there is no residual soreness or aches and pains. Today's treadmill run was in my easy pace range finally and felt great. Could have easily extended this one out many more miles but I really need to start getting back into the gym more often. Tomorrow I'll probably do an easy 5 and start with an easy 9-10 mile long run on Sunday. Hope to return to 40-50 mile base weeks by the end of the month and look to a spring marathon. Part of me wants to attempt a 50k in about 4 weeks, but not sure if I'm fully prepared for it yet. It's a run as many as you can in 6 hours, and with a relatively easy marathon experience in a tad over 4 hours I feel like I could stumble way for another 6 in just short of 2 hours. Anyone here run a 50k? Thoughts? Experiences?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 long runs for the first 2 plans top out at 18 miles. I was just curious because, while the 6,2 mile gap between most plans' longest run and a full is pretty big, an 8.2 mile gap seems HUGE....despite only being a 2 mile difference.

When you consider that an 18 or 20 mile long run comes after already running 25 to 40 miles, but a marathon comes after the recovery effects of a two week taper, then throw in the adrenaline of the race and the knowledge that you don't have to save anything during the race for the following week's training, I don't think the difference of 6.2 or even 8.2 miles is a big deal.

^^^^^ This is a key.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I just noticed something. GC is not using my custom HR zones for training plans. I had put one in my calendar, just to play around with, and when I looked at the workouts, the HR's the easy runs had were way lower than the ones I use based on HRR.....that's annoying....Maybe I need to re-sync my Forerunner?

There should be a window in your Garmin settings mode to set your various HR zones. How are you synching them?

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    2 x 4km "fast" runs was the plan this morning. Was very stiff and therefore a little slower than planned and almost gave up after the first one, but took a stretching rest (instead of a slow jog recovery) and was able to do the second one. Made sure to stretch properly afterwards today as not stretching after my cycle yesterday probably contributed to this morning's sluggishness.

I have been slightly off the pace on my faster runs this week but I can put both down to not stretching after previous days activities and inadequate warm ups. My distance is still coming along nicely to plan, so overall I'm very pleased with how the month is going. Cardio rest day tomorrow (probably do some walking) but hopefully fit in some strength work as have been slacking on that last few weeks and need to get it back into my routine.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I just noticed something. GC is not using my custom HR zones for training plans. I had put one in my calendar, just to play around with, and when I looked at the workouts, the HR's the easy runs had were way lower than the ones I use based on HRR.....that's annoying....Maybe I need to re-sync my Forerunner?

There should be a window in your Garmin settings mode to set your various HR zones. How are you synching them?

Should have been more specific with what I said. Both my Forerunner, and my GC account show the same HR settings. However, the GC workouts from the training plan, show z2 HR range that is lower than both what my GC account and forerunner say.....Not something I'm too concerned about, just something I'm playing with because it's kind of fun.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I have spent waaayy too much time loafing around that Daniel's table here at work. Lots of interesting stuff in there. I have found the race pace predictors to be pretty spot on accurate for me.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »

I do note, however, that since she hasn't run yet today, I'm ahead of @kristinegift on the Garmin leaderboard. For now. Small victories.

I don't run on Fridays, so enjoy your victory day, @9voice9!

Both of you should be crushing me this week :)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 long runs for the first 2 plans top out at 18 miles. I was just curious because, while the 6,2 mile gap between most plans' longest run and a full is pretty big, an 8.2 mile gap seems HUGE....despite only being a 2 mile difference.

I mainly got the book for the HR and 80/20 split data....the training plans were just a bonus for some fun....but I guess I started a decent discussion because of them....

I've not run the full and don't really plan on one, but I'd think for my first I'd be okay with the 18 slow miles. I left off doing 7-9 miles for a long run (kinda, not really since I was building) and it was plenty to keep me half ready. But I am not an authority. Nor have the experience. Yeild to the experts here.

I'm interested in the 80/20 thing. But I'll be back to base building. Guess you can still run your base building miles at this pace split?

Definitely a good conversation to iron out the plans and views.

I have a few of MF's books. I love them. I don't abide by them or cook out of 'em much anymore.... But they've been helpful. And I use his dqs app :blush: sorry @Stoshew71 , don't think of me as a traitor. Maybe when I get faster and stronger I'll branch out and study others philosophies :smiley:. I'd be down if Lauren Fleshman put something together!

I'm not quite sure how you would assume that I am thinking that you are a traitor.
    Not everyone is going to draw to the different philosophies.

@MNLittleFinn So you are talking about the 80/20 book. I actually do have that one. I got it at the same time that I got Lydiard's book and Running Wild. I just haven't gotten to open his book yet. I have been so busy with a bunch of other personal stuff that my reading came to a screeching halt. Your posts may encourage me to open up the book and actually read it now.

Yeah, you recommended the book in your February running challenge when the discussion drifted to running books. I thought that you had read it already. I am reading the book also, and am going to try to use some ideas to work on my running base.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner , @Elise4270 , @greenolivetree ....thanks for your advice. The pain mysteriously went away the next day. I was going to run last night (long run), but decided to stay home with my husband....not going to risk aggravating anything.
    I plan to run Sunday....long run, slow pace.
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I mainly got the book for the HR and 80/20 split data....the training plans were just a bonus for some fun....but I guess I started a decent discussion because of them....

I've not run the full and don't really plan on one, but I'd think for my first I'd be okay with the 18 slow miles. I left off doing 7-9 miles for a long run (kinda, not really since I was building) and it was plenty to keep me half ready. But I am not an authority. Nor have the experience. Yeild to the experts here.

I'm interested in the 80/20 thing. But I'll be back to base building. Guess you can still run your base building miles at this pace split?

Definitely a good conversation to iron out the plans and views.

I have a few of MF's books. I love them. I don't abide by them or cook out of 'em much anymore.... But they've been helpful. And I use his dqs app :blush: sorry @Stoshew71 , don't think of me as a traitor. Maybe when I get faster and stronger I'll branch out and study others philosophies :smiley:. I'd be down if Lauren Fleshman put something together!

I'm not quite sure how you would assume that I am thinking that you are a traitor.
    Not everyone is going to draw to the different philosophies.

@MNLittleFinn So you are talking about the 80/20 book. I actually do have that one. I got it at the same time that I got Lydiard's book and Running Wild. I just haven't gotten to open his book yet. I have been so busy with a bunch of other personal stuff that my reading came to a screeching halt. Your posts may encourage me to open up the book and actually read it now.

Yeah, you recommended the book in your February running challenge when the discussion drifted to running books. I thought that you had read it already. I am reading the book also, and am going to try to use some ideas to work on my running base.

I was planning on it. I was so excited when it came in. I read the Lydiard book first, then life happened. Then my reading stopped. I actually just started reading it today. The books were right under my feet the whole time at work in this box under my desk. I was looking all over at home for it. LOL

EDIT: BTW Arthur Lydiard is also great. I read the Running the Lydiard Way book. it's an older book but still great. Lydiard is even referenced on the first few pages of the 80/20 book.
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Another 3 miles tonight although I found it tough going, but kept with it, I always usually just give up but I'm enjoying keeping track here and didn't want to let anyone down. (Only myself I know)

19 miles for the month now. 12 to target.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say that all his HR, zones, vo2, etc. etc. is too much for my brain. I just have 4 modes: Conversational (most of my runs are done at this "pace"); faster for a while (marathon pace); faster so you can't talk (HM pace); so fast you might die (5k pace). No HR straps, no calculations, just "can I breathe? can I talk? ok ok!" I'm old school :p

I LOVE your descriptions @kristinegift !! LOL! The only difference is Conversational for me is, "Can you sing along while running?" Yes, I am one of those people who often sings out loud while running...ha ha! I did sing a bit during my Half Marathon, so maybe I should have gone faster? ;) The 5K is totally spot on, and I know during my last 5K I questioned why I keep signing up for these things. I think I prefer running a longer race so I can go a tad slower.

I do wear a heart rate monitor, but I don't really look at it that much while running, but I like to see the data afterwards. I like to run by feel. I'd have to do one of those Lactate Threshold Heart Rate Tests to make sure I'm within the appropriate zones. I ended up getting referred to a cardiologist after my annual physical this summer, which was really freaky, but just found out that my EKGs are abnormal because I'm a runner. So, I definitely don't trust any standardized heart rate chart by gender/age.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say that all his HR, zones, vo2, etc. etc. is too much for my brain. I just have 4 modes: Conversational (most of my runs are done at this "pace"); faster for a while (marathon pace); faster so you can't talk (HM pace); so fast you might die (5k pace). No HR straps, no calculations, just "can I breathe? can I talk? ok ok!" I'm old school :p

Tuesday I learned a new pace (it was me, Cole, and Scott). The pace is called "what the hell you trying to do to me Scott?" It's ~7:30 pace which we did for 7 miles straight to include some pretty challenging hills. Scott is this short guy in his 50's (really great nice personality too) had been running pretty much his whole life since his military career. Fast as anything. All he has is an old Timex watch. So all he knows is how long he's been running (no pace no GPS very old school), but he's damn fast. Cole is young in his early 30's. Both him and I were struggling to keep up, but we did it. I turned off at the end and asked Cole if he wanted to do an addition 2 miles with me (since I knew Scott wasn't) and he said yes. After we turned off, I told Cole we are not doing these last 2 at Scott's pace. He agreed whole heartedly.

@kristinegift - Maybe I do half marathons wrong; I can talk at that pace.

@Stoshew71 - Heh. Reminds me of a pub run about a year ago. I'd been pacing 8:30 on Saturdays, and a guy who had run in my pace group wanted to do the recreational pub run with me. A younger guy, I guess late 30s or early 40s.

Him: "Running 8:30?"
    Me: "Maybe a little faster. It's short, and I'm not pacing tonight."
    Him: "Not too fast, please?"
    Me: "Pick a pace, and I'll just run with you."

So I let him set the pace, and I went out with him. Looked at my watch, and we were doing about 7:30. I got into a groove, and just kept running at that pace; then I hear him laboring to keep up. We ended up averaging 7:35 for 5 miles. He looked whipped, and it felt like a light tempo run to me.

The next training session, he dropped back to the 9:00 pace group for long runs.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Daily check-in:

After yesterday's intervals, this morning's hallway jog was uncomfortable; but I was able to jog long enough for the eggs to cook. The ache migrated back to the Achilles tendon and the shin.

Went to PT, and talked about what I'd done and how I felt. I didn't know whether I was treading water or setting myself back. The PT thinks I'm getting better, but it will sometimes come in fits and starts. Got through all the weird stuff she had me do, and managed to meet my walking step goal today; so I'm not crippled. Running was clearly off the table, though.

Went to packed pick up for Finish Strong 15K, got my long sleeve tech shirt, and told the organizers I couldn't run it. They sympathized. For those of you following the shirt discussion on the other board, I won't feel the least bit guilty about wearing this shirt in appropriate weather. I ran that 15K the last 2 years, when all they gave out were cotton short sleeve tees. And with this addition, I think I have enough long sleeve tech shirts to get through a week of healthy training in weather that needs a long sleeve tech shirt.

Tomorrow I will sleep late. It would be just too depressing to get up early and go watch people run a race in great running weather on a course I like, when I can't run.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 Mi

10/1/2016: 4 Mi Total, 1.5 Mi Running
    10/3/2016: 4 Mi Total, 2.0 Mi Running
    10/6/2016: 4 Mi Total, 2.5 Mi Running
    10/8/2016: 4 Mi Total, 2.25 Mi Running
    10/10/2016: 4 Mi Total, 2.5 Mi Running
    10/14/2016: 4.4 Mi Total, 2.75 Mi Running

Distance Left: 16.50 Mi

Consistent 1/2 miles intervals with 0.25 mi rest, almost midway at the middle of the month

exercise.png