Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    How much iron and what form is it? To correct iron deficiency anemia, much more iron than the RDA is generally needed. Do get your iron levels tested, as well as discussing the other possible causes mentioned in this thread with your doctor.
    AveyHam wrote: »
    50 mgs of elemental iron

50 mg? Are you sure? That's very high for someone not diagnosed with anemia.
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty sure. I thought it was iron deficiency so i figured the supplements would help but they didn't. i'm going to see my doctor on Tuesday. Thank you! (:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah pretty sure. I thought it was iron deficiency so i figured the supplements would help but they didn't. i'm going to see my doctor on Tuesday. Thank you! (:

Try to never self diagnose yourself. There is actually issues with having too many minerals.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Iron is one of those things that your body doesn't actually flush out. So it is possible to get to much and become toxic on it.

Personal opinion here: Increase calories, as suggested. You want to fuel the workouts you are doing, and an aggressive cut can certainly lead to deficiencies which could cause hair loss. Stop the iron supplementation until you see your doc and get blood work, once you have the results, then supplement based on that. See your doctor.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Doctor...not internet forum.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Sorry have you been tested for iron deficiency? You really shouldn't supplement without medical advice and tests

You clearly need a work up so I would absolutely prioritise visiting your doctor

That said, eat more ...your defecit is too sharp at your size, your activity level is high and your protein is low where's your rest say
  • AveyHam
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Doctor...not internet forum.

Yep i'm going to see my doctor this week the reason i posted here was to know if anyone else has experienced this
  • AveyHam
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Sorry have you been tested for iron deficiency? You really shouldn't supplement without medical advice and tests

You clearly need a work up so I would absolutely prioritise visiting your doctor

That said, eat more ...your defecit is too sharp at your size, your activity level is high and your protein is low where's your rest say

Yes I'm going to increase my calorie intake.
    And i have one or two rest days each week