Nutrition & working out not loosing

Options
I started March 20,2016 at 318 lb. I worked on nutrition no exercise 1200 calories a day to loose weight, now I'm 237.4. I started exercising 3 times a week for 1 hour for 3 weeks now, eating 1200- 1250 calories a day sometimes less. Since I started working out at a gym I haven't lost anything?????. I'm eating healthy?.any advice or answers why.

Replies

• DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    are you measuring yourself? As you reduce fat, which weighs less and replace it with more muscle, which weighs more, your weight will even increase at times. You will lose inches though over time. You have come a very long way already!! good for you. You can also have your body fat% calculated weekly and see the change that way. Don't get discouraged.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    DiKoehler wrote: »
    are you measuring yourself? As you reduce fat, which weighs less and replace it with more muscle, which weighs more, your weight will even increase at times. You will lose inches though over time. You have come a very long way already!! good for you. You can also have your body fat% calculated weekly and see the change that way. Don't get discouraged.

It's extremely difficult to gain muscle in a calorie deficit; even more so for women.

OP, you probably gained water weight due to the new exercise affecting your muscles. It should be going down soon. In addition, how do you measure your calorie intake?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding the diet break, here's something that may be somewhat useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/putting-the-diet-break-into-practice-751385
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say that seventy pounds is outstanding.

My weight loss slowed down when I began exercising too. I gained in other ways such as mobility and overall fitness. People started commenting how healthy I looked.

I think if people treat exercise as a weight loss accelerant they tend to be disappointed.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    First of all congrats on your weight loss -- that's outstanding.

As you diet down there's a few things that happen that are really unfortunate.

Your energy expenditure will likely reduce not only because your body is smaller (less weight requires less energy to move) but also due to a reduction in spontaneous activity. Essentially you will unconsciously become more efficient and more sedentary and please keep in mind that this is involuntary and it's a regulatory mechanism to resist weight loss.

Hunger levels will tend to go up due to some hormonal adaptations, and it's also very normal in my experience for people to eventually start eating more even if they aren't aware of it.

So when you combine all of these things you typically end up with a scenario where you have someone burning fewer calories during non exercise periods, having an increase in hunger levels, and usually eating more than they believe they are eating from an energy standpoint.

I'll also note that there's ample research demonstrating the difficulties in food logging where even registered dietitians eat more than they think they do. Let me be clear here too that this is not necessarily a function of honesty and so when I say that this may apply to you, I am NOT saying that you're dishonest, or any other potentially insulting thing that people may take this for. TONS of people eat more than they think, myself included.

How to go about attenuating these issues depends on the individual.

When I have clients in this situation (and it's fairly common) I tend to do the following things:

1) Objectively look at their data.
    2) Average out bodyweight over weeks and intake over the same time period to look for trends.
    3) Look at food logs for logging accuracy and consistency issues.
    4) If no significant logging issues are readily apparent, I'd figure out an estimated maintenance intake and move the client to maintenance for AT LEAST 2 weeks. Depending on how fried they are mentally and how long they've been stalled this may be longer than 2 weeks.
    5) Reintroduce a reasonable deficit after the maintenance phase.

Note, if I see significant logging accuracy issues, I will absolutely address these. Depending on how bad they are I may just go this route if it's clear to me that there's a substantial issue because addressing this typically results in immediate weight loss.

I know you're probably frustrated as hell. Do your best to remain patient, and celebrate the success you've already had because that's a fantastic job you've done.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions.
    -Patrick

OP--this is extremely useful and thoughtful, please take this advice seriously. Actually, alot of us needed this--thanks SS.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Your energy expenditure will likely reduce not only because your body is smaller (less weight requires less energy to move) but also due to a reduction in spontaneous activity. Essentially you will unconsciously become more efficient and more sedentary and please keep in mind that this is involuntary and it's a regulatory mechanism to resist weight loss.

Hunger levels will tend to go up due to some hormonal adaptations, and it's also very normal in my experience for people to eventually start eating more even if they aren't aware of it.

So when you combine all of these things you typically end up with a scenario where you have someone burning fewer calories during non exercise periods, having an increase in hunger levels, and usually eating more than they believe they are eating from an energy standpoint.

I'll also note that there's ample research demonstrating the difficulties in food logging where even registered dietitians eat more than they think they do. Let me be clear here too that this is not necessarily a function of honesty and so when I say that this may apply to you, I am NOT saying that you're dishonest, or any other potentially insulting thing that people may take this for. TONS of people eat more than they think, myself included.

When I have clients in this situation (and it's fairly common) I tend to do the following things:

2) Average out bodyweight over weeks and intake over the same time period to look for trends.
    4) If no significant logging issues are readily apparent, I'd figure out an estimated maintenance intake and move the client to maintenance for AT LEAST 2 weeks. Depending on how fried they are mentally and how long they've been stalled this may be longer than 2 weeks.

Note, if I see significant logging accuracy issues, I will absolutely address these. Depending on how bad they are I may just go this route if it's clear to me that there's a substantial issue because addressing this typically results in immediate weight loss.

I know you're probably frustrated as hell. Do your best to remain patient, and celebrate the success you've already had because that's a fantastic job you've done.

-Patrick

OP--this is extremely useful and thoughtful, please take this advice seriously. Actually, alot of us needed this--thanks SS.

You're very welcome, and thanks for the positive comment =)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/putting-the-diet-break-into-practice-751385

Thank you for this. I am at or approaching maintenance (I haven't decided yet after discussing my weight loss with my doctor). I started in January and am down 46 pounds. I took a diet break late this summer without fully understanding the logistics of a diet break. Having read this, my approach to maintenance should be much more gradual than I anticipated. This was me: "There's a time and place for diet breaks but in SOME people it can just become a validation to not diet."

@theresam2469 Congratulations on your progress!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @SideSteel

Thank you for this. I am at or approaching maintenance (I haven't decided yet after discussing my weight loss with my doctor). I started in January and am down 46 pounds. I took a diet break late this summer without fully understanding the logistics of a diet break. Having read this, my approach to maintenance should be much more gradual than I anticipated. This was me: "There's a time and place for diet breaks but in SOME people it can just become a validation to not diet."

@theresam2469 Congratulations on your progress!

Congrats on your progress as well!

You may be correct, it's possible that for some people they are quick to go to maintenance when the driving factor is the appealing nature of eating more food.

And so in some cases it's quite possible that people take breaks when they really should not. And I would imagine these people have a hard time going back to a diet afterwards.

And on the flipside I encounter many people who are resistant to the idea of a diet break because they view it as a step backwards, When in many cases it is the very thing that will allow them to keep progressing forward.
  • theresam2469
    theresam2469 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I do weigh and log all of my food. I'm was tired of being overweight and unhealthy, this is a rest of my life change.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I started March 20,2016 at 318 lb. I worked on nutrition no exercise 1200 calories a day to loose weight, now I'm 237.4. I started exercising 3 times a week for 1 hour for 3 weeks now, eating 1200- 1250 calories a day sometimes less. Since I started working out at a gym I haven't lost anything?????. I'm eating healthy?.any advice or answers why.

Congratulations on dropping from 318 to 237. That's a great start and something to be very proud of to this point.

You mention that you have only been doing 3 hours per week for the past 3 weeks. That means it is relatively new to you, so give it some time. In addition, do you have the time to increase the amount of exercise that you are doing? Say along the lines of getting 6-8 hours per week of exercise?

You don't mention what those three hours entail, but it would be helpful to know the exercise, and intensity of what you are currently doing. As an example - I can ride a bike for an hour and only burn 237 calories, or I can ride a bike for an hour and burn at least three times that amount - all based on the level of intensity I pedal. The same is true of weight lifting, treadmill, walking, running vs. jogging, and just about any exercise. So it would be nice to know what level of intensity you are working out, and what exercises you are doing.

Rather than cutting calories more than your current intake, bumping up the calorie expenditure by increasing your exercise would be my suggestion. Whether that means going to 5 days a week instead of 3 days, or 6 days a week - I think you will be surprised the difference it makes. That combined with the newness of your just started exercise routine I think will get the scale decreasing as CICO with a deficit does what it always does.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    To lose 80 pounds in 6 months. That's fantastic! You won't keep losing at th as the rate forever, it's normal to slow down. It's normal to fluctuate or go a few weeks without seeing a loss on the scale. Just stick with your plan & it will keep working.
    In the first 6 months I lost 50 lbs, then 35 the next 6, then 20 in next 6 mo, then 15 in next 6 mo, and about 6 mo for the last 10. Total loss 148 with 3 to final goal.
  • theresam2469
    Options

Congratulations on dropping from 318 to 237. That's a great start and something to be very proud of to this point.

You mention that you have only been doing 3 hours per week for the past 3 weeks. That means it is relatively new to you, so give it some time. In addition, do you have the time to increase the amount of exercise that you are doing? Say along the lines of getting 6-8 hours per week of exercise?

You don't mention what those three hours entail, but it would be helpful to know the exercise, and intensity of what you are currently doing. As an example - I can ride a bike for an hour and only burn 237 calories, or I can ride a bike for an hour and burn at least three times that amount - all based on the level of intensity I pedal. The same is true of weight lifting, treadmill, walking, running vs. jogging, and just about any exercise. So it would be nice to know what level of intensity you are working out, and what exercises you are doing.

Rather than cutting calories more than your current intake, bumping up the calorie expenditure by increasing your exercise would be my suggestion. Whether that means going to 5 days a week instead of 3 days, or 6 days a week - I think you will be surprised the difference it makes. That combined with the newness of your just started exercise routine I think will get the scale decreasing as CICO with a deficit does what it always does.

I do the elliptic for 20 minutes then I do strength machines that works on all body. I agree I think I do need more workout time. Thank you.
  • theresam2469
    Options

-Patrick

Patrick first of all thank you for your time replying back. Great information and I will take all of your suggestions seriously. I am in this for the long run.
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options

-Patrick

You're very welcome, and thanks for the positive comment =)

Thank you!! This helped me as well
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options

-Patrick

Patrick first of all thank you for your time replying back. Great information and I will take all of your suggestions seriously. I am in this for the long run.

Congratulations on your awesome success!! You're well on your way especially if you listen to side steel!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!!! I know how frustrating it is to stay on target when you don't see any results...Keep up the good work..
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Great weight loss so far. See if you can add some more exercise time. Maybe just a 1/2 hour walk on your non-gym days or add a spinning or zumba class. something to complement what you are already doing.
    You are certianly on the right track.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A couple posters have already alluded to it, but it's a point that bears expanding upon - when you start a new exercise routine, it's quite common for your muscles to retain extra water/glycogen as an adaptation to it. This can cause upward fluctuations on the scale and temporarily mask weight/fat loss. Since you said the stall in weight loss coincided with when you started your workout routine, it's quite possible that this is the issue. Stick with what you're doing, don't panic and start making radical changes, and see what happens over the next few weeks.

Oh, and whenever @SideSteel speaks, pay attention. He knows what he's talking about and always gives solid advice.
  • katieeswiryd
    katieeswiryd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I first of all just wanted to say, congratualtions on your weight loss so far! You obviously worked hard for it