I love my body but not my belly

Options
Ok so I needed to gain weight so I did. Went from 8 stone 3 to 10 stone 9.
I love my body, but I want my belly to go. Any tips?
I'm currently eating 1350 calories.

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Build muscle, lose fat. That way you get to keep your size and curves, but the tummy will go away (it is mostly fat).
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Build muscle, lose fat. That way you get to keep your size and curves, but the tummy will go away (it is mostly fat).

Ok? So what sort of weights would be good for the tummy??
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    madiha1397 wrote: »

A program that has you work every body part at some point during the week. It's not about exercising your abdominal muscles, but building overall muscle. One suggestion is New Rules of Lifting for Women, but there are many free exercise programs online. Bodybuilding.com has a bunch and they all have videos to show you how to do them.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    No- you can't spot reduce.

What I mean is take up weight lifting and work all of your body. You can build more muscle on your butt, quads, arms, back.. you can do abs & core exercise too they will improve your posture and strength and suck the tummy in a little.

As you gain muscle all over and lose fat all over you will naturally hold less weight in your stomach area due to your fat percentage being lower overall. But your body will have a good shape from the muscle.

Do you get what I mean?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I second the weights. I just do upper body and core. Makes a big difference in shape. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    madiha1397 wrote: »

A program that has you work every body part at some point during the week. It's not about exercising your abdominal muscles, but building overall muscle. One suggestion is New Rules of Lifting for Women, but there are many free exercise programs online. Bodybuilding.com has a bunch and they all have videos to show you how to do them.

It's important to note that almost every single compound movement requires core bracing. Since the core is built up of mainly slow twitch muscle fibers, they take a long time to fatigue, and thus working them out by forcing them to stabilize is significantly more effective than doing "ab" work.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I second the weights. I just do upper body and core. Makes a big difference in shape. Good luck!

Your legs have larger muscles and can increase your calorie burn as well as metabolism in the long run if you work them. It could mean eating more in maintenance. It's also great for knee, hip and ankle health. Strength training legs will improve the density of those bones causing less issues later in life.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Personally I would NOT skip lower body. If you want a booty but not a tummy you gotta build that butt.

Friends don't let friends skip leg day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Personally I would NOT skip lower body. If you want a booty but not a tummy you gotta build that butt.

Friends don't let friends skip leg day.

besides, why would you purposely train in an unbalanced way? Especially when the legs and butt are such huge muscle groups which burn so many more calories.
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I should do more strength exercises