Logging bacon?

How do you log bacon? The package always says the raw weight and calories. But I don't really make a habit of eating raw bacon, lol. I know they can't give nutritional facts for cooked, since it depends on how much you cook the fat down. I bake it in the oven, on a rack, and dab the extra fat off with paper towel. What I've been doing, is weighing the cooked bacon and logging that, same as raw (so 50 grams of raw is 200 calories, but I ate 50 grams of cooked bacon and logged it as the raw weight, so 200 calories). Is that about right? And please, no "I don't eat bacon so I don't know.". If you're going to judge me for eating bacon, just scroll on. I don't need that kind of people in my life, lol. :P

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I would weigh it raw and then count the lost fat through cooking as a bonus. I think some people weigh the grease and enter it as a negative in the food diary.
  • MonicaRAmbs
    MonicaRAmbs Posts: 6 Member
    I believe the nutrition content does not change when cooked. I am Keto adapted and just log as is.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I would weigh it raw and then count the lost fat through cooking as a bonus. I think some people weigh the grease and enter it as a negative in the food diary.

Ugh I can't imagine weighing grease. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster in my kitchen, lol! But yes, that would be most accurate I bet. I'm too klutzy though!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Weigh it raw, log it.
    Cook it.
    Eat it.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2016
    cityruss wrote: »
    Weigh it raw, log it.
    Cook it.
    Eat it.

Doing it any other way would be overcomplicating it, IMO. The only thing I'd add to the above would be "Enjoy it". Because bacon. Mmmmm, bacon.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I generally do this:
    Weigh it raw, log it.
    Cook it.
    Eat it.
    I believe the nutrition content does not change when cooked. I am Keto adapted and just log as is.

It does though. There is a lot of fat that gets rendered off the bacon.

You can do this:
    Weigh the pan. Write down the weight. Log it using packaging information
    Weigh raw bacon
    Cook
    Pat bacon dry
    Place pan on scale
    Take down the Wright and subtract pan weight.

What is left is the bacon drippings weight (minus what drained on the paper towel.

Log the negative calories.

You'd still be over estimating as you're not counting the drippings soaked up via paper towel, but you'd be close.

• SunnyDayzMomma
    Found this article about fat drippings, interesting and sort of what I thought!
    http://graemethomasonline.com/more-fat-fiction/
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    edited October 2016
    I generally do this:
    Weigh it raw, log it.
    Cook it.
    Eat it.

It does though. There is a lot of fat that gets rendered off the bacon.

You can do this:
    Weigh the pan. Write down the weight. Log it using packaging information
    Weigh raw bacon
    Cook
    Pat bacon dry
    Place pan on scale
    Take down the Wright and subtract pan weight.

What is left is the bacon drippings weight (minus what drained on the paper towel.

Log the negative calories.

You'd still be over estimating as you're not counting the drippings soaked up via paper towel, but you'd be close.

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I mean it's like logging raw chicken with skin on, cooking it, removing the skin and excess fat and then eating it. There's so many calories and fat in that skin, enough to look into and figure out the actual amount. A few calories here and there, yeah I get that it's a wash and just forget about it. But we're talking a lot of calories. And about something very tasty, lol.

And that's a good way to do it, weighing the pan. I would have probably tried to pour the drippings into a bowl to weigh and spilt it somewhere along the way, lol!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

The calories per gram does change. If you want to be accurate, you should not log the cooked weight using a raw entry.

According to the USDA nutrient database, raw bacon (pork, cured, bacon, unprepared) has 417 calories per 100 grams, while baked bacon (pork, cured, bacon, cooked, baked) has 548 calories per 100 grams.

I admit this is counterintuitive to me, since I've always assumed most of the lost weight was fat, but apparently a good bit of it is water as well (so that the food becomes more calorie-dense with cooking, rather than less calorie-dense).

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Save the drippings for eggs and other things that need fat. Yum. Bacon.
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    Seems way too complicated. Buy the precooked bacon and log it that way. #lazygirlsolutions
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    You could put a piece of pre-weighed tinfoil in the bottom of the tray to catch the dripping fat and then just weigh that after. Might be easier than weighing the whole pan which may be much bigger than the scale. Also saves on washing up the tray... ;)
  • JimKeegan555
    JimKeegan555 Posts: 29 Member

The calories per gram does change. If you want to be accurate, you should not log the cooked weight using a raw entry.

According to the USDA nutrient database, raw bacon (pork, cured, bacon, unprepared) has 417 calories per 100 grams, while baked bacon (pork, cured, bacon, cooked, baked) has 548 calories per 100 grams.

I admit this is counterintuitive to me, since I've always assumed most of the lost weight was fat, but apparently a good bit of it is water as well (so that the food becomes more calorie-dense with cooking, rather than less calorie-dense).

Yea but 100g of cooked bacon is like 250g of raw bacon... so although it's more calorie dense you're actually getting more slices.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Save the grease for future recipes

I don't like bacon but pig fat is delicious
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited October 2016
    Weigh it raw, log it.
    Cook it.
    Eat it.

Yeah...KISS!

Also, what bacon are you using...I pretty much always see nutritional information for "X cooked slices"
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Save the grease for future recipes

I don't like bacon but pig fat is delicious

That's weird :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,317 Member
    edited October 2016
    I used to weigh it cooked, then used a "cooked bacon" entry.

What do I know? In real life, I just call it 80cals per two slices - because the package says that - and move on. It hasn't affected my weight loss or maintenance. I mean, it's not like this is an exact science outside of a research lab with controlled e v e r y t h i n g.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I have noticed Bacon as between 40-50 calories per slice..almost anywhere you look. Don't make it complicated.

that's 120-150 calories for three slices..and it's most likely just as accurate as you weighing raw bacon, weighing the grease that was fried off, weighing the fried or baked bacon, ie..finished product, etc.

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    I just log the raw bacon calories and then fry my eggs in the bacon grease..yum yum o:)