Do you weigh yourself too often?

Options
One of the problems I have when I start focusing on changing my lifestyle, including my eating and exercising habits, is that I begin to get a tad bit obsessive. This is not my normal personality as I am firmly in the type B camp and rarely waiver into anything that resembles obsessive behavior.

As a result of the increased focus on my habits and my desire to lose weight (and of course look better as well), I weigh myself at least once a day and sometimes more. It wouldn't be an issue if I took the number with a grain of salt, but I don't. I let the number affect my mood.

Any tips on curbing this obsessive scale watching?

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I personally get on the scale at least 2x a day. I keep a log with a.m. and p.m data, everyday. I like to see the trends and also how what I eat might impact my weight. Last night before I eating, I weighed myself and there was a 4lb difference between then and this morning. Have no clue why, but it's interesting. So frankly, if you are gonna be doing this behavior, log it and compare it to your foods, the time of the month, your emotions for that day. Make the obsession work for you.....and I'm not an "A" personality, just like to make sense of behavior patterns.... :smile:
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support. I love that there are so many different ways that people manage their routines. It is so helpful to see the various options to try when something isn't working.

I like this idea of making the obsession work for me. I'm going to try this. :-)
    I personally get on the scale at least 2x a day. I keep a log with a.m. and p.m data, everyday. I like to see the trends and also how what I eat might impact my weight. Last night before I eating, I weighed myself and there was a 4lb difference between then and this morning. Have no clue why, but it's interesting. So frankly, if you are gonna be doing this behavior, log it and compare it to your foods, the time of the month, your emotions for that day. Make the obsession work for you.....and I'm not an "A" personality, just like to make sense of behavior patterns.... :smile:

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm type A through and through, lol. I used to be quite obsessive about weighing myself but now the number on the scale doesn't matter as much if there is no reduction in inches or I don't look slimmer. I weigh myself once a week
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday in the morning and sometimes 2 times aday
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning. I don't weigh at other times. For me it is enough information and is part of my Sunday morning routine.
    I think you have to think about what place the number on the scale has for you. How does it reflect your overall goals? How does thevfrequency of weighing help you? If it makes you feel anxious or unhappy then I'd say pull back and weigh less often. It isn't the only way to mark progress.

I'm losing weight to be healthier not be an absolute number. I have an ideal weight in mind but it is not the most important thing about losing weight to me. If I weigh myself every day am I healthier than if I do it once a week- or never? Am I healthier at 6AM but less healthy at 8PM if the number on the scale goes up slightly? No. My body fluctuates weights naturally day to day, hour to hour. It takes time to make significant changes good or bad. If my focus is on sticking closely to my calorie goal I really will move in the right direction over time.
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try to limit to weigh in wednesday....with the occasional peek if I had a really good weekend
  • micayla75
    Options
    Another good idea is having my husband hide the scale. Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into using a trend analysis app such as Trendweight (web), Happy Scale (iOS) or Libra (Android). Looking at the trend rather than daily weights is reassuring and a good way to make sure you're on the right track because your weight is in a constant state of flux and daily weigh-ins by themselves don't tell the true story. It's not uncommon to fluctuate up to 2-3 pounds from day to day, for several different reasons. Watching the overall trend smooths out the "noise" from those daily readings and shows you what's really going on with your weight.
  • micayla75
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't know about those apps. I will check then out!
  • MarkaStone
    MarkaStone Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Trendweight is great and has saved my sanity when I became obsessive about it all. Looking at that graph sliding downwards is great especially when you weigh yourself and have put on a bit of weight. It brings it all into perspective
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at the same time (after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything). But I ONLY record my weight on MFP if it has gone down from my previous recorded weight. If it's up by a bit due to normal fluctuations I do not record it. Sometimes it will take a few days or even a week to reach a new "lowest weight", so my report will show that my weight remained the same for a week before dropping again. By not recording every small weight spike I do not become discouraged or obsessive.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i try to weigh myself on thurs ams with no cloths on haven't ate or drank anything.. & monthly i try to meausure myself.. sometimes if ive had alot of extra excerise&haven't ate the nite b4ill weigh next am just so see how ive done.. ya seems like that scale plays tricks on us. Ive also herd of using the BMI too.. like when dr says ur ... i was last time a 39 i wood like to get under that somehow i think anything over 30 is consider obsese :( good luck Micayla75!
  • micayla75
    Options
    It really is fascinating to see all of the different methods for keeping track. I am so glad I asked this question as it has helped me feel so much better. :smile:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it on Libra so I can see the trend. I don't think that daily weighing is obsessive. It helps me to not worry about the normal fluctuations when I see them every day.