70% of women and 40% of men have low iron

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just because your iron levels are occasionally too low to donate blood doesn't mean you have an unhealthy iron level that needs to be supplemented. It just means your iron level is too low to donate blood. Your iron level can be in the normal range, but still too low to donate.

And also as someone else mentioned, those deficiency numbers are worldwide, meaning they include areas of the world struggling with famine, food shortages, and areas where women don't necessarily have access to a balanced diet. I couldn't Google anything definitive quickly, but it looks like in the US it is more like 10-15% of women, not 70%.

For my n=1, I am a petite female who eats a pretty standard diet and doesn't take a multi, and I have been donating blood and platelets for about 10 years. I was twice told by the mobile donation van that my iron was too low, but otherwise it has been fine and my regular donation center actually questioned the results the mobile van came up with as they were so outside my norm.

If you are concerned about your iron level, consult your doctor before you do anything, as iron supplementation can be tricky and not something to do if you don't really need to!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

kimny72 wrote: »
    Just because your iron levels are occasionally too low to donate blood doesn't mean you have an unhealthy iron level that needs to be supplemented. It just means your iron level is too low to donate blood. Your iron level can be in the normal range, but still too low to donate.

And also as someone else mentioned, those deficiency numbers are worldwide, meaning they include areas of the world struggling with famine, food shortages, and areas where women don't necessarily have access to a balanced diet. I couldn't Google anything definitive quickly, but it looks like in the US it is more like 10-15% of women, not 70%.

For my n=1, I am a petite female who eats a pretty standard diet and doesn't take a multi, and I have been donating blood and platelets for about 10 years. I was twice told by the mobile donation van that my iron was too low, but otherwise it has been fine and my regular donation center actually questioned the results the mobile van came up with as they were so outside my norm.

Yes, this.

Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency in the world. But there are many places in the world where their only sources of iron are poorly absorbed (think grains, vegetables, etc.)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

To me, supplementation (especially when I do not normally take a multi) just seems like the easiest option. Compared to modifying (which, to be honest, I think of as "overhauling" my diet). I wonder if there's some smaller level, like half a pill that'll raise the iron level but also not hurt my stomach
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

To me, supplementation (especially when I do not normally take a multi) just seems like the easiest option. Compared to modifying (which, to be honest, I think of as "overhauling" my diet). I wonder if there's some smaller level, like half a pill that'll raise the iron level but also not hurt my stomach

This is why I take spatone which is an iron enriched water that is highly absorbed. It's only like 30% RDA but it's improved my levels tremendously and it's the only iron supplement I can take that doesn't majorly jack up my stomach or stain my teeth black.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

This is why I take spatone which is an iron enriched water that is highly absorbed. It's only like 30% RDA but it's improved my levels tremendously and it's the only iron supplement I can take that doesn't majorly jack up my stomach or stain my teeth black.

Thank you! To be honest, I'd prefer a less costly option, though. The generic multi was $3 for 60 pills and I'm still not done with the one bottle. In my case, since I test just below the allowable donation level, my other alternative is to just not give blood :|
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How do you all have low iron? Is it hereditary or something? I would think you would have to try and get low iron or just eat chips to have low iron
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For those seeking an iron supplement that's easy on the stomach, I rec Ferrous Gluconate. I bought "Nature's Blend" brand from Amazon.

And yes, gotta reiterate that people should only supplement after getting their ferritin tested, even if they know their hemoglobin is low. (Blood donation centers test your hemoglobin, not ferritin.) Low hemoglobin can have other causes besides iron/ferritin deficiency.

Hemoglobin is not a measurement of your iron. Ferritin is.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    How do you all have low iron? Is it hereditary or something? I would think you would have to try and get low iron or just eat chips to have low iron

If you're a woman with a period, you can have low iron levels.

That would be why a greater percentage of women experience low iron levels than men.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I had gi bleeding and malabsorption
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started donating blood as soon as I found out I'm O neg. 18 months in I was anemic and 1 year, 4 iron infusions later I'm still sadly anemic.
    For those seeking an iron supplement that's easy on the stomach, I rec Ferrous Gluconate. I bought "Nature's Blend" brand from Amazon.

And yes, gotta reiterate that people should only supplement after getting their ferritin tested, even if they know their hemoglobin is low. (Blood donation centers test your hemoglobin, not ferritin.) Low hemoglobin can have other causes besides iron/ferritin deficiency.

Thank you for that! I've had issues with all the supplements I've tried so I've always gone off them, it's been a roller coaster but I'll give these a try. =)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Ferritin isn't the only measurement of iron. It's your iron store. My ferritin was low normal but my serum iron was undetectable.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    Well I mean without a medical issue for low iron, like strictly low from your diet.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    I started donating blood as soon as I found out I'm O neg. 18 months in I was anemic and 1 year, 4 iron infusions later I'm still sadly anemic.

Thank you for that! I've had issues with all the supplements I've tried so I've always gone off them, it's been a roller coaster but I'll give these a try. =)

I hope it helps!

That's awful how long you've been dealing with anemia. And brought on by blood donation, to boot! No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options

Ferritin isn't the only measurement of iron. It's your iron store. My ferritin was low normal but my serum iron was undetectable.

Yeah, absolutely. I was distinguishing hemoglobin from iron. People treat the two as synonymous when they're not. I'm alarmed that even the workers at the blood donation center told the OP her low hemoglobin was caused by iron deficiency. Although that's the most likely cause, they can't say that with certainty. It's so important for people to actually know what's causing their low hemoglobin so they can fix it. And, if it's low iron, to know what's causing that so they can fix it.

Another important measurement for iron is TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity). You probably are very familiar with all the tests though.

Your low serum iron makes sense since your condition was caused by absorption issues. Your body just wasn't able to take in what you were feeding it. Your ferritin stores probably started getting depleted as your GI condition progressed.

I'm glad your hemoglobin is up! I can't even imagine what it felt like at its lowest. Even where you are now is very low. How are you feeling? From your pic, it looks like it's not preventing you from some kick *kitten* workouts! That's amazing. I have low iron and it's really knocked me out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Well I mean without a medical issue for low iron, like strictly low from your diet.

Having a regular period isn't a medical issue.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah hahahha that's a funny name to type :). First of all, thank you for also sharing an iron supplement option. I generally hadn't looked into iron only supplements for my own use prior to reading some of the posts on this thread, but I'm starting to consider it more.

Yeah, absolutely. I was distinguishing hemoglobin from iron. People treat the two as synonymous when they're not. I'm alarmed that even the workers at the blood donation center told the OP her low hemoglobin was caused by iron deficiency. Although that's the most likely cause, they can't say that with certainty. It's so important for people to actually know what's causing their low hemoglobin so they can fix it. And, if it's low iron, to know what's causing that so they can fix it.

As to the section in bold, it can be a tricky distinction, but from the OP's post I don't see where they told her that her hemoglobin was low, or that iron was going to fix that medical issue. Just recounting my own experience again, hemoglobin levels needed to function normally are different from where a donor needs to be to spare a pint of blood. It appears in the two instances that she didn't meet the requirement, she was simply asked not to donate. They only gave her sources of iron rich foods a) at her request, and b) as an option for increasing her hemoglobin level so she can donate in the future. I guess I don't see the harm in recommending that people eat a bit more spinach, for example. An ideal outcome of reviewing that list, IMO, is that people recognize foods they like and/or can otherwise incorporate in their diets, and do so.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with my iron being low; that said, since starting MFP and logging, I've found that on days I eat cereal my iron is way higher than on days I don't. My daughter takes iron supplements for years now, but they make her feel funky. I think I'd rather manage with food.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    Weird so y'all don't eat a lot of iron? Btw you don't need red meat for iron. I don't eat any meat and my last iron count was 15 and this was right after my period and they are pretty heavy. Maybe try some more beans, chickpeas, soy, etc
  • Chunkahlunkah
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @JaneiR36 - Ha yeah, it's a crazy name. :blush: It was my nickname for an old cat of mine when she'd be in her chubby phase.
    from the OP's post I don't see where they told her that her hemoglobin was low, or that iron was going to fix that medical issue.

I was referring to the first two paragraphs of the OP's post.

The blood donation center tests hemoglobin which is not an iron test. So when we're "too low to donate," all we know for sure is that our *hemoglobin* is below the cut off (which is typically 12.5).

That does not necessarily mean that we need more *iron.* There are other reasons that could cause our hemoglobin to be low/below the cut-off.

Now, consuming additional iron through food or even a multi isn't likely to be a problem. Those sources don't bombard us with iron. Getting a little more iron is fine.

Supplementing with an actual iron supplement could be dangerous bc it contains a lot of iron. So people shouldn't do that until they know for sure that their *iron* level is low.

Blood donation centers are confusing the issue when they treat hemoglobin like an iron measurement. They shouldn't be framing it that way. I think it would be better if they said that iron is *one* of the things hemoglobin needs, so getting a little more iron *may* raise our hemoglobin.

Maybe that's the nitpicky former law student in me lol, but hemoglobin is so commonly thought of as an iron test, and that's not accurate.

To be fair, it's not just blood centers that equate hemoglobin and iron like that. It seems like many doctors may also discuss blood test results with their patients like that. Many people will say, "My iron is x," when really they're reporting their hemoglobin.