Help! Thinking about herbalife? Feedback please ♡

Hi guys, so my cholesterol has been increasing I don't know why but I'm starting to feel the physical symptoms. I have lost 20 lbs on my own this year but I never had an issue with cholesterol until now....it's at 240 and it was at 180 in april....I don't get it. I have a crew that does herbalife and they swear by it and they actually are losing weight all of them. Any opinions good or bad I would greatly appreciate thanks again.

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    A short term gimmick that'll probably give you results but it's not the sustainable lifestyle change that you need for a long and healthy life. Most people put straight back on all the weight they lose (or the ones I know did at least) despite eagerly saying it's to 'kickstart' their new regime. They go back to old habits after the initial honeymoon period wears off rather than creating new healthy ones.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    what kinds of symptoms are you having? not all cholesterol can be controlled by losing weight. I have familial hypercholesterolemia, and even losing 44 lbs and watching what I ate didnt help. I have had to get back on meds and there is still no guarantee it will go down(I may need additional meds or other medical intervention).as for herbalife helping with cholesterol,somehow I doubt that is happening,for those stating it is its probably for them the weight loss,or changing their diet.you can try whats called a low cholesterol diet and see if that makes a difference in your numbers,(most drs will put you on one before they put you on meds). if not you may need meds.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Pleas don't waste your money on a woo scam.

Are you on medication?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2016
    A cheaper way to help yourself feel more full (so you eat less) and to lower cholesterol would be to take a Metamucil or similar (off-brand is cheapest) supplement. http://www.healthline.com/health/psyllium-health-benefits#Overview1

Also, I do use a meal-replacement high-protein shake, but IMO they're all fairly similar and there are much cheaper options. You can get them at big box stores pretty cheap. I do think they help with my hunger and weight loss.

Herbalife also sells a bunch of supplements, right? I wouldn't take a bunch of tablets like that. That's a way to get very expensive pee, but it doesn't do much else.
  • marirey82
    marirey82 Posts: 14 Member
    Pleas don't waste your money on a woo scam.

Are you on medication?

No. It just recently started being a problem but the doctor just told me to watch my diet and that was 3 weeks ago and it went up a few more points. Uh!
  • marirey82
    Golbat wrote: »
    A cheaper way to help yourself feel more full (so you eat less) and to lower cholesterol would be to take a Metamucil or similar (off-brand is cheapest) supplement. http://www.healthline.com/health/psyllium-health-benefits#Overview1

Also, I do use a meal-replacement high-protein shake, but IMO they're all fairly similar and there are much cheaper options. You can get them at big box stores pretty cheap. I do think they help with my hunger and weight loss.

Herbalife also sells a bunch of supplements, right? I wouldn't take a bunch of tablets like that. That's a way to get very expensive pee, but it doesn't do much else.

Which shake do you use? Yes I think I should try metamucil...I know fiber is a big plus to getting this down. Thanks again!
  • Golbat
    I have no brand loyalty and move from brand to brand, however I avoid whey ones as they don't sit well on my stomach. Many people prefer them though so don't assume that would be an issue for you. The Vega ones are pretty good.
  • marirey82
    sarabushby wrote: »
    A short term gimmick that'll probably give you results but it's not the sustainable lifestyle change that you need for a long and healthy life. Most people put straight back on all the weight they lose (or the ones I know did at least) despite eagerly saying it's to 'kickstart' their new regime. They go back to old habits after the initial honeymoon period wears off rather than creating new healthy ones.

Really so they did gain the weight back. Man it sounds so good but I'm in limbo with it.
  • marirey82
    I have no brand loyalty and move from brand to brand, however I avoid whey ones as they don't sit well on my stomach. Many people prefer them though so don't assume that would be an issue for you. The Vega ones are pretty good.

I was thinking about whey protein but then I'm like we'll I should give them a try (herbalife)...what's the difference between them.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Eat good fats - fatty fish, nuts, olive oil. Eat fiber, both soluble and insoluble - fruits, veg, beans, whole grains. EXERCISE!!! Lose more weight if you have not lost all you want to. My cholesterol dropped from 279 to 232 and my HDL (good cholesterol) skyrocketed to 81. All this occurred after losing 34 lbs. and walking daily.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    No ... don't do this. It's over the top expensive and you can get your numbers down with real food. Not something you have to suck down from a shaker. I've done this on a free trial for a month. It's the only reason I did it. It is NOT worth it. The weight will come right back on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    No. Do not risk permanent damage to your health by talking this junk!
  • Golbat
    edited October 2016
    marirey82 wrote: »

I was thinking about whey protein but then I'm like we'll I should give them a try (herbalife)...what's the difference between them.

Mainly price. Also, what kind of protein they use. I think Herbalife uses soy.

Oh yeah, and how they taste. I have no idea how Herbalife's taste compares to the others, but some brands taste better than others.

I keep adding to this post! I think the price difference is probably because Herbalife is sold as a multi-level-marketing company. That always adds to the cost. You can get basically the same thing cheaper, as far as shakes go if they help you and you like them.

If you don't like the taste of shakes, you might not want to go that route, because if that's your way to keep calories down so you can lose, you might have to continue taking them after you've lost so you can maintain. I like shakes, particularly for breakfast, so that's easy for me, but if I had to choke them down, I wouldn't be able to keep it up and I would risk gaining my weight back after I'd lost it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    No. Do not risk permanent damage to your health by talking this junk!

I was just thinking, wasn't Herbalife the one in the news recently that was sued because their products caused liver damage?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,629 Member
    My dtr in law & family use Herbalife & they are healthy and look great!!
  • Golbat
    I read that they were contaminated with a bacteria at one point years ago that caused liver damage in a few people, but I don't think these shakes or any on their own cause liver damage.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Eat good fats - fatty fish, nuts, olive oil. Eat fiber, both soluble and insoluble - fruits, veg, beans, whole grains. EXERCISE!!! Lose more weight if you have not lost all you want to. My cholesterol dropped from 279 to 232 and my HDL (good cholesterol) skyrocketed to 81. All this occurred after losing 34 lbs. and walking daily.

doesnt work for everyone. Im proof of that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Remember heredity too. It is great to make healthier choices and our bodies thank us for it, but for some people the only way to bring cholesterol under control is to seek medical intervention.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0002870348906462