When you're depressed/stressed and you just want to stuff your face.

Options
JLKulio
JLKulio Posts: 15 Member
I tend to want to stuff my face with the worst food/drink when I'm feeling down. It's like I almost don't feel like I'm worth all the hard work it takes to lose weight.

I know it's not an uplifting topic but it's where my head's at right now and I'm trying desperately to stay on track.

What do you do when you're feeling this way to keep yourself from messing up your healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I often feel this way and I totally understand. If possible I go out for a walk, safest way to stay away from the fridge/cupboard. Call a friend if anyone available. Have a shower/bath. Have a manicure.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Oh, and look for support on MFP of course ;)
  • theGarinator
    theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    JL, I roll over, get up and go for another run... It's not much of an answer but it works for me. I guess I'm lucky cause I hate alcohol and fried and prepared foods that use industrial cooking oils like palm oil, literally make me sick. I've taken to eating green and red peppers, the long sweet ones with some hot sauce and a tsp or so of low fat mayo. It seems to do the trick. PLUS, being able to talk to all you guys... that's a big help. I live with PTSD btw....
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    chew gum, I exercise when I am stressed. If I mess up, it is ok, just don't keep on messing up. Work thru stuff with pen and paper help also especially if I have to confront someone. That has actually been better than eating!
  • JLKulio
    Options
    Oh, and look for support on MFP of course ;)

Haha, where were you before I thought of this??
  • JLKulio
    Options
    oldnevada wrote: »
    JL, I roll over, get up and go for another run... It's not much of an answer but it works for me. I guess I'm lucky cause I hate alcohol and fried and prepared foods that use industrial cooking oils like palm oil, literally make me sick. I've taken to eating green and red peppers, the long sweet ones with some hot sauce and a tsp or so of low fat mayo. It seems to do the trick. PLUS, being able to talk to all you guys... that's a big help. I live with PTSD btw....

I'll have to try the peppers sometime!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No answers for you cause I've found no healthy ways to cope with my stress and depression just wanted to say I know how you feel and good luck!
  • JLKulio
    Options
    bellabari wrote: »
    You are worth it. Even when you don't feel worth it, you are. Everybody struggles. It's just sometimes the negative voice is louder than the positive voice and we feed the negative voice to shut em up.

Too be honest sometimes I give into the urge but then after reflect on my triggers because food is comforting to me. I don't beat myself up when I indulge, I just put in an extra work out or watch my foods better when I feel better. I have replaced food as my comfort with other things very slowly, things like listening to music (to side track thoughts of food or things that are depressing), going out with a close friend, watching diy videos to learn new creative things, i.e.: making jewelry etc, reading. I try to stay away from tv or the kitchen because then I want to nibble.

This might sound stupid and is probably not true, but I read somewhere that if you brush your teeth (minty flavor toothpaste) or drink mint tea, the minty flavor makes you want to eat less. The shower/bath idea is a really nice tip though too. Good luck and remember you're not alone and you are worth it!

Side note: The way you do your eyeliner is awesome!

I like the shower idea... and I think I could play with makeup more (maybe follow tutorial videos on Youtube). Thank you for the reply and thank you for the compliment on my eyeliner!
  • JLKulio
    Options
    No answers for you cause I've found no healthy ways to cope with my stress and depression just wanted to say I know how you feel and good luck!

You know what? It's nice just to hear I'm not the only one struggling with it!
  • Pterod
    Pterod Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had a whole month of struggling with this. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Staceym2112
    Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this daily. If I have a bad day, I stuff my face usually with carbs galore. The only thing I've found that keeps me from eating out of stress is to stay busy or sleep.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I can't find a dang middle ground. Either I turn to comfort foods, or I can hardly eat for days. I'm working on dealing with stress, or sadness in better ways.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i try to keep low calorie snacks around like popcorn and fruit, no sugar pudding
    and sometimes i just eat that row of oreos or bag of doritos.
    and then run or exercise the next day.
    to avoid it, i'll go outside or take a bath or do my nails or do some yoga