hard gainer

2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Elite_nal I am currently going to the gym or work out at home.just started a few weeks, and doing strength training maybe 3-4 days a week. I am also taking Serious Mass protein shake ,that gives u about 1200 calories. This is how I manage to keep up with my daily calorie needs,which the app tells me I need about 2100 a day. I haven't seen any results though what am I doing wrong??

What are you trying to achieve? Also, two weeks may not be long enough to determine if things are working. Generally 4 weeks is more advisable. But if you are eating 2100 calories and not gaining, eat more. It really is that simple.

It's not always that simple! Some of us -well me,anyway -really struggle with this. Mfp set my daily calories at 2030. It may not sound much but there are days when it's a struggle.
    However, I manage it with calorie dense snacks plus I add whey protein to full fat chocolate milk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    psulemon wrote: »
    Elite_nal I am currently going to the gym or work out at home.just started a few weeks, and doing strength training maybe 3-4 days a week. I am also taking Serious Mass protein shake ,that gives u about 1200 calories. This is how I manage to keep up with my daily calorie needs,which the app tells me I need about 2100 a day. I haven't seen any results though what am I doing wrong??

What are you trying to achieve? Also, two weeks may not be long enough to determine if things are working. Generally 4 weeks is more advisable. But if you are eating 2100 calories and not gaining, eat more. It really is that simple.

It's not always that simple! Some of us -well me,anyway -really struggle with this. Mfp set my daily calories at 2030. It may not sound much but there are days when it's a struggle.
    However, I manage it with calorie dense snacks plus I add whey protein to full fat chocolate milk.

I would be fairly confident that I would have the ability to make it fairly simple to add more calories through modifications in your diet to increase caloric consumption without increased volume, even within the parameters of special dietary needs.

But I do recognize that people have issues with volume consumption and special dietary needs often.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Yes, you probably could :smile: Maybe I should open my diary ....I am starting to get the hang of it. I was fixated before on doing the 3 big meals a day and no snacks as it spoils your appetite (it's how I was bought up! )but I've let go of that and just eat high calorie stuff when I'm hungry, including drinks when I'm not hungry.
  • psuLemon
    Yes, you probably could :smile: Maybe I should open my diary ....I am starting to get the hang of it. I was fixated before on doing the 3 big meals a day and no snacks as it spoils your appetite (it's how I was bought up! )but I've let go of that and just eat high calorie stuff when I'm hungry, including drinks when I'm not hungry.

Send me a PM if you want help. I can take a look into things. And have you read the below?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • comptonelizabeth
    Thank you,yes I've seen that -it's really helpful.
    I will pm you -I'm actually exceeding my calorie goal but progress is slow. Maybe I'm too impatient! Thanks for your help - much appreciated
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited October 2016
    I struggled to hit 200. And these last 10 are tough. GOMAD (whole milk, chocolate) on top of all my food is making it easier. I recomped from 160.

GOMAD: Gallon of milk a day
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    I wouldn't spend money on shakes. Just throw milk + ice cream + peanut butter + protein powder into a blender. You'll get two boost pluses in one drink. I gained 35 pounds this way. Only had to go shopping once or twice. It will save you trips vs. buying packages of shakes. Plus you're creating less waste.
  • CALS0CCERBEAR87
    CALS0CCERBEAR87 Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016
    dillmilk wrote: »
    I wouldn't spend money on shakes. Just throw milk + ice cream + peanut butter + protein powder into a blender. You'll get two boost pluses in one drink. I gained 35 pounds this way. Only had to go shopping once or twice. It will save you trips vs. buying packages of shakes. Plus you're creating less waste.

ice cream and most pb brands are all BAD SUGAR.

BAD SUGAR=DISEASE AND DEATH

+ most dairy has a lot of puss cells and hormones, etc. in it. Research. GROSS.

i believe in shopping regularly and spending $$$ on high-quality, organic calories.
  • dillmilk

i believe in shopping regularly and spending $$$ on high-quality, organic calories.

She said she doesn't have time or money for shopping.
    Besides, everything's bad for you these days. Even breathing air is killing us.

• CALS0CCERBEAR87
    CALS0CCERBEAR87 Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016

Boost and Ensure, etc. are actually pretty expensive for what/how much you're getting... compared to better stuff that promote gain...maybe she has more time now seeing this was back in Jan..

whatever man, it's your life...knock yourself out on all the JIF/ben and jerry's your heart desires!
  • dillmilk

Boost and Ensure, etc. are actually pretty expensive for what/how much you're getting... compared to better stuff that promote gain...maybe she has more time now seeing this was back in Jan..

whatever man, it's your life...knock yourself out on all the JIF/ben and jerry's your heart desires!

Wow.. did not notice that. Why did someone go and revive an almost year old thread? I thought that's not allowed in most forums.

• psuLemon

Wow.. did not notice that. Why did someone go and revive an almost year old thread? I thought that's not allowed in most forums.

Why would bumping a thread be against the rules. Heck, I would rather someone bump a thread because it shows they put some effort into this and searched.
  • psuLemon

Thank god ice cream and JIF are loaded with the good sugars.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member

Oh, you sweet summer child.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    ]

"Bad sugar" is a misnomer at best, and fear-mongering at worst.

"A lot of pus cells" is wholly inaccurate. There are somatic cells present, but these are not pus cells. At most, there's one drop - literally - of pus in eight fluid ounces of milk, or a ratio of about 1:4750.

Oh, and organic vegetables, from CDC results, show eight times the incidence of e.coli infections.

• comptonelizabeth

What is bad sugar? Sugar is sugar surely -whether it's from fruit or ice cream.
    Re pus cells - I think I'm going to be sick. :neutral:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member

Reading while I finish today's gallon of milk. GOMAD BABY!
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    Good luck girl all the best. :smile: