Vitamins/supplements turning my stomach

Options
I picked up the GNC vitamins pack for women and am having a hard time with them giving me heartburn. Anyone else have this issue? Any low calorie solution to help me? I almost lost my cookies this morning while hiking which kind ruins it for me

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Some brands can make a person feel sick.

I picked up a bottle of a multivitamin when I was living in Canada and going to university. I thought they'd be good given my stress level etc. I started taking one most mornings, but each morning that I took them, I'd end up dashing out of my first class and heaving over the toilet.

At first I thought flu, then I thought stress ... then I made the connection that the days I forgot to take the multivitamin, I was fine, but the days I did take it, I felt quite sick.

I finished that bottle, but I had to take them in the evening before I went to bed. I could take them and go to sleep and I'd be OK.

I have heard that some brands don't have that effect ... better quality, perhaps?

I am using a different brand, but since then I've always taken vitamins just before bed.
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking them with food? And/or at least 8oz of water
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of vitamin it's better to have a small meal. Also check with doctor on when to take if you take medicine daily. I take an iron supplement three times a day and can't be taken with my thyroid medication. I needed to adjust the time of my thyroid medicine.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I take mine after breakfast. I take omega 3, multi vitamin and iron and they do upset my stomach if I have them first before breakfast. Also drink a full glass, it also helps keep me full.
  • janjan1981
    janjan1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If i take my vitamins on an empty stomach I will throw up. I agree with the other commenters, take it after a small meal! Good luck!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    In addition to taking with food, maybe take them later in the day?
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful post. It is nice to know I am not alone. I have tried them different times of the day but they keep me up at night if I take them too late. I am going to try some extra water and maybe some yogurt vs. fruit to see if it helps. I actually have more energy and feel better when I take them it is just the heartburn and nausea that really sucks.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    TeaCurls wrote: »
    I picked up the GNC vitamins pack for women and am having a hard time with them giving me heartburn. Anyone else have this issue? Any low calorie solution to help me? I almost lost my cookies this morning while hiking which kind ruins it for me

Return them, and pick up a bottle of Alive multi for women at the grocery store instead. Use GNC for BCAA, Creatine, and Protein supplements. Maybe a pre-workout if you want one.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Take with a meal- a larger meal if it upsets your tummy like dinner instead of breakfast.

I also like food sourced vitamins like Garden of Life or New Chapter brand- they seem to be easier on the tummy.
  • JustmeSue
    JustmeSue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    also if you have any allergies, check the ingredients - I have a hard time with anything with coconut
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Take them before bed. I get very sick if I take vitamins in the morning.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Take liquids or chewable (GNC tend to be megadoses, and they make me sick too) and take them before bed, or right after dinner. Never on an empty stomach
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    TeaCurls wrote: »

Return them, and pick up a bottle of Alive multi for women at the grocery store instead. Use GNC for BCAA, Creatine, and Protein supplements. Maybe a pre-workout if you want one.

This. GNC/ Nutrishop should be for muscle building supplements (preferably in powder form). Regular micronutrients can be smaller doses, in a form you can tolerate. I use Natures Plus, source of life gold chewables.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try eating a little food a few minutes before you take the pills. Or take fewer pills at a time and spread throughout the day