Toning/6pack?!

Hi everyone, I've recently lost a stone and am now at 8st8. I've been going to the gym more and have now got the fitness bug! I'd love to push myself and achieve proper toning, almost to the point of a 6 pack! But, I find conventional crunch style exercises impossible because I need a hip replacement and so I need ab workout exercises without putting any emphasis on my pelvic area. Any ideas or tips on how to tone and build muscle? (Maybe without turning into the hulk

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    You cannot spot reduce and you won't "turn into the Hulk" by accident. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. You don't need to do ab specific exercises for a 6 pack, just a low enough BF% which comes from diet.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    To build muscle, you need to eat in a surplus and use a progressive strength training program. But you can lose your abs because you develop fat while developing muscle as well.

To reveal what you currently have? Continue eating in a deficit.
  • shayminhog
    shayminhog Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks so much, I didn't know that- do you have any idea what weight I'd need to reach to get there? I'm 5'2" and 8st8 and I already feel quite small... I'm by no means underweight but I also don't want to look crazy skinny- that's why I wanted to go down the fit/toned route from now :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    shayminhog wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I didn't know that- do you have any idea what weight I'd need to reach to get there? I'm 5'2" and 8st8 and I already feel quite small... I'm by no means underweight but I also don't want to look crazy skinny- that's why I wanted to go down the fit/toned route from now :)

A progressive strength training program helps.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    You don't really have to do ab exercises because your abs are really supporting everything you do. IF you "bulk" your abs, you get a bigger waistline. Just be aware. That said, I do some ab exercises when I'm on a bulk, so I'll see even more definition when I cut :wink:
  • shayminhog
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    You cannot spot reduce and you won't "turn into the Hulk" by accident. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. You don't need to do ab specific exercises for a 6 pack, just a low enough BF% which comes from diet.

I really really really really really really hate it when women say they "dont want" muscles... as if they are easy to get

I don't mean they're easy to get, I just don't know if it's possible to gain muscle in areas without too much bulking - like you answered with your waistline comment :) I'm a complete novice, I don't know what's possible for me or how to get there. (All I know is I'm managing to grow some pretty impressive guns almost accidentally and I don't want too much bulk in other places) :) you look amazing, I'm not undermining your effort at all X
  • shayminhog
    Really didn't mean any offence... I'm just trying to learn. I ultimately just want to get what you've got and I'm trying to find out how. I'm sorry
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    If you want the "washboard abs" look, you have to train your rectus abdominis like any other muscle group. Their use in a secondary capacity in other exercises, ie. the squat and deadlift, *will* help you to build a strong core, but I wouldn't rely on them for building and sculpting your rectus abdominis, transversus abdominis, or obliques. They simply aren't engaged enough in that scenario.
  • shayminhog
    joeboland wrote: »
    If you want the "washboard abs" look, you have to train your rectus abdominis like any other muscle group. Their use in a secondary capacity in other exercises, ie. the squat and deadlift, *will* help you to build a strong core, but I wouldn't rely on them for building and sculpting your rectus abdominis, transversus abdominis, or obliques. They simply aren't engaged enough in that scenario.

So what would you recommend for me to do? Do you have anything that doesn't involve the hip/pelvic area?
    Thank you :)
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Really didn't mean any offence... I'm just trying to learn. I ultimately just want to get what you've got and I'm trying to find out how. I'm sorry

I didn't mean any offense either. You won't bulk up too much - you'll be fine. :smile:

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Lower body fat is generally all you need and genetics will play a role on some degree. Many people including myself dont do isolation exercises for abs and just have lower body fat. Although squats, deads, chins etc does help when bulking.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    So what would you recommend for me to do? Do you have anything that doesn't involve the hip/pelvic area?
    Thank you :)

if you have medical cautions or proscriptions, it's probably best to ask whoever told you to be careful. or a physiotherapist.

with that said, maybe planks and deadbugs? those both ask for a neutral spine throughout the movement. you can raise/lower alternate arms and legs for the deadbugs, if you advance the exercise. that movement comes from the hip and shoulder joint and isn't supposed to involve spinal or pelvic movement at all.

but as i said: not a medical professional.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    reading back up and seeing 'hip replacement' i'm not so sure about the planks anymore. ^^^ but honestly. doctors shouldn't just whang in a new hip without giving the person some slightly more specific of what can/can't be done. something better than 'avoid the pelvic area'.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    I can do all the ab exercises in the world but it won't help me get a 6 pack/toned stomach, Low %BF is what works for me, now to trim off the layer of fat and get these abs out again. Having said that ab exercises are good for making them stronger

Maybe go back to Doc and see what exercises will be safe for you to do?