Options
13»

Replies

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Rainbowbow -
    Thanks for that list! I've been struggling with iron deficiency anemia for several months now. So naturally I've read a lot on the subject, but I don't remember coming across eggs inhibiting absorption. I wonder if that's been a major contributor for me. I eat a lot eggs! Actually, I eat a lot of everything on that list. :(
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    @JaneiR36 - Ha yeah, it's a crazy name. :blush: It was my nickname for an old cat of mine when she'd be in her chubby phase.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    from the OP's post I don't see where they told her that her hemoglobin was low, or that iron was going to fix that medical issue.

I was referring to the first two paragraphs of the OP's post.

The blood donation center tests hemoglobin which is not an iron test. So when we're "too low to donate," all we know for sure is that our *hemoglobin* is below the cut off (which is typically 12.5).

That does not necessarily mean that we need more *iron.* There are other reasons that could cause our hemoglobin to be low/below the cut-off.

Now, consuming additional iron through food or even a multi isn't likely to be a problem. Those sources don't bombard us with iron. Getting a little more iron is fine.

Supplementing with an actual iron supplement could be dangerous bc it contains a lot of iron. So people shouldn't do that until they know for sure that their *iron* level is low.

Blood donation centers are confusing the issue when they treat hemoglobin like an iron measurement. They shouldn't be framing it that way. I think it would be better if they said that iron is *one* of the things hemoglobin needs, so getting a little more iron *may* raise our hemoglobin.

Maybe that's the nitpicky former law student in me lol, but hemoglobin is so commonly thought of as an iron test, and that's not accurate.

To be fair, it's not just blood centers that equate hemoglobin and iron like that. It seems like many doctors may also discuss blood test results with their patients like that. Many people will say, "My iron is x," when really they're reporting their hemoglobin.

Ok. The donation center didn't tell her to consume super iron heavy supplements, though. I don't necessarily agree with The idea that their information is dangerous because they tell donors to eat food. The additional iron in all likelihood will increase hemoglobin to donation levels, so their approach seems consistent with reality to me. In my case, I was explicitly told that being just below the cutoff was no cause for alarm as regarding my personal health. I suppose I don't know if OP was told that, too.

By the way - the supplements you've recommended from my very limited research seem to contain either 100 or 200% DV iron, same amount in a multi. Is it the 200% ones that tend to be too high? Or perhaps the iron only ones are a bit more potent, or absorb at higher levels?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm confused by those numbers thrown around.
    A friend and I went to donate blood recently and beforehand they did an iron test where they gave us a little prick in the finger, swabbed up a drop of blood and put it in a machine that gave a number out. Apparently 9.1 and 9.6 respectively were totally fine there. Was that just a different scale or a different iron thing or what?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Using this resource: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/
    as well as pages on that site for C, Iron, and Calcium, I created a spreadsheet formula converting mg of C, Calcium and Iron into RDA. I used the Iron recommended for fertile women as the RDA in my calculation. I convert A in RAE to RDA.
    I frequently edit the MFP food database to correct the Potassium, A, C, Calcium, and Iron RDA values.
    Using this resource: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
    I get trustworthy and accurate values for Potassium, A, C, Calcium, and Iron in the foods I use.
    For A in RAE, I use a target of 900. For C in mg I use a target of 90. For Calcium in mg I use a target of 1000, and for Iron in mg I use a target of 18.

• Chunkahlunkah
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok. The donation center didn't tell her to consume super iron heavy supplements, though. I don't necessarily agree with The idea that their information is dangerous because they tell donors to eat food. The additional iron in all likelihood will increase hemoglobin to donation levels, so their approach seems consistent with reality to me. In my case, I was explicitly told that being just below the cutoff was no cause for alarm as regarding my personal health. I suppose I don't know if OP was told that, too.

Ah, I see what you mean. The "danger" I was referring to wasn't about whether being low means deficiency. I'm referring to how people equate iron and hemoglobin. They're two different things. One could have hemoglobin below the donation cut off and have good iron. Their iron isn't what's causing the low hemo. Also, one could have lowish but still "normal" hemo (say, between 12 and 12.5 for a woman) and be iron deficienct.

The danger I'm concerned about is the way blood donation centers and many other health care workers discuss hemoglobin. It often leaves people with the impression that their hemoglobin reveals their iron status, and that's not the case.

Personally I'd advise that if someone is below the hemoglobin cut-off to give blood, that they *should* go to their doctor and get their iron tested. It's possible that they're already iron deficient. The body can work very hard to keep hemoglobin levels "normal" even when it has inadequate iron. It can only do that for so long though. Eventually the iron stores get used up and hemoglobin then plummets (since iron is one of hemo's building blocks). That was exactly what happened to me. I think it's a shame that iron testing (i.e., ferritin, iron serum, and TIBC) isn't typically a part of routine blood work. I hope that changes.

As far as iron...My supplement contains 208% RDA per dose. My doctor has me taking it 3x a day now. Multis don't contain above 100% afaik.

Re: absorption...That's a great point. One of the reasons I'm taking ferrous gluconate (besides it not killing my stomach :wink: ) is that a doctor told me that it's the best absorbed form of iron. Iron is a personal interest of his. Many otherwise excellent GPs don't have much in depth knowledge on iron and unfortunately still recommend forms of iron that aren't as good.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    A friend and I went to donate blood recently and beforehand they did an iron test where they gave us a little prick in the finger, swabbed up a drop of blood and put it in a machine that gave a number out. Apparently 9.1 and 9.6 respectively were totally fine there. Was that just a different scale or a different iron thing or what?

Hmm, that wouldn't make sense for hemoglobin, ferritin, iron serum, or TIBC.

I'm curious if anyone here has insider knowledge about that scale.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Weird so y'all don't eat a lot of iron? Btw you don't need red meat for iron. I don't eat any meat and my last iron count was 15 and this was right after my period and they are pretty heavy. Maybe try some more beans, chickpeas, soy, etc

Some people are more prone to having low iron than others. I started with my pregnancies. Each one I had low iron and it's bad. Now that I am older I have heavier periods so it tends to get low then. I am not a red meat eater. Not that because I think it's bad I just don't like the taste.

Also milk and milk products if you tend to eat or drink a lot of those can drain the iron from you. That is the cause of my younger two's iron deficiency but they act like they are dying if I limit them.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah , that's a lot of iron! 3x per day! Hope your levels get to where you want them soon. If you don't mind my asking, how did you get to needing to monitor your iron/ferritin/hemoglobin levels this closely?

Someone mentioned cereal and other fortified foods. I don't particularly like breakfast cereals, and a lot of them are indeed fortified with nutrients we may not otherwise get from our diet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

@stevencloser , I don't know if it's a scale issue. I believe the hemoglobin unit being used in my case is grams per deciliter (g/dL) and the donation level for me was around 13 g/dL
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How do you all have low iron? Is it hereditary or something? I would think you would have to try and get low iron or just eat chips to have low iron

I have RA
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah still exhausted but that's part of crohn's. Oh my blood was a mess as I also had very low albumin and b12. I noticed I waa losing my colour again but I see ppis can cause your iron to drop? I started taking omeprazole in July.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah , that's a lot of iron! 3x per day! Hope your levels get to where you want them soon. If you don't mind my asking, how did you get to needing to monitor your iron/ferritin/hemoglobin levels this closely?

Someone mentioned cereal and other fortified foods. I don't particularly like breakfast cereals, and a lot of them are indeed fortified with nutrients we may not otherwise get from our diet.

@JaneiR36
    I don't mind you asking at all. My blood is an open book lol.

Looking back, it's clear that I've had iron issues since I was about 12 years old. That's when my hemoglobin started reading as "borderline low" and it stayed that way. Unfortunately, my doctors didn't test my iron too. Generally, doctors only test your iron if either a). Your hemoglobin is below the normal range and/or b). You specifically ask for it or complain of extreme fatigue. (Or they have other reasons to suspect iron issues.) I've always been a little on the tired side ;) but I thought that was my normal.

I'm in my 30s, and it was only a few months ago that I developed totally debilitating fatigue. My doctors tested my iron level for the first time. That's when I learned that I'm very iron deficient.

We're not yet certain why I'm so low. I think most of it is due to my period. I've gone on a bc pill to reduce the amount of times I get it a year. I also have ibs, so absorption issues may be at play as well. A blood donation triggered my anemia.

It may be diet related too. I eat a ton of those inhibitors rainbowbow mentioned: eggs, calcium, etc. :( I really like those foods too, damn.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah still exhausted but that's part of crohn's. Oh my blood was a mess as I also had very low albumin and b12. I noticed I waa losing my colour again but I see ppis can cause your iron to drop? I started taking omeprazole in July.

Man, that's tough. I hope you have more good days than bad ones. Chronic illnesses suck.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My doctor tested serum iron in the past and it was always ok, together with hemoglobin and other blood count things. I've moved since then, thus no point in asking. I'm sure though that I had iron problems for ages. When I took iron pills I was suddenly able to walk uphill without being so extremely out of breath and having heavy legs. It also took a huge chunk of my tiredness off me. When I stop taking iron pills my ferritin drops from around 50 to below 28 again in 4-5 months, and I feel the same again. I have no idea why as I hardly ever have my menstruation (taking pill, with only 3-4 stops per year, and it's light).

Likewise, I have no idea why b12 deficiency gave me severely damaged nerves and brains that were completely useless even though again the values weren't that particular low. Same with Vitamin D3. Substituting it improved my eyes so much! in the last at last 16 years I always had to wear sunglasses because the light hurt. In the last 3 years or so I even had to wear sunglasses on overcast winterdays. Since taking D3 this is completely gone! And then there were still smaller and larger deficiencies in calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphate. I honestly have no idea what is going on, though being in the UK the doctors here don't seem to care nor find out what is the reason.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Well I mean without a medical issue for low iron, like strictly low from your diet.

like i mentioned as well.... most non-meat sources of iron are poor. There's a good reason it's the most common deficiency in the world.

Not everyone has access to consuming red meats or foods fortified in iron. In my country we don't have any fortified foods (think oatmeals, cereals, breads, etc.). Unless i get iron from the foods i eat (which are all non-heme because i'm a vegetarian) it's super easy to get 20-30% RDA each day.

Just think about all the places in the world where either finances or culture dictate a more plant-based diet. Most non-meat sources of iron are packed full of iron inhibitors, meaning even though the food may be "high in iron" the iron is poorly absorbed. for example:
    • Medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach such as antacids or proton pump inhibitors.
    • Calcium (like iron) is an essential mineral, which means the body gets this nutrient from diet. Calcium is found in foods such as milk, yogurt, cheese, sardines, canned salmon, tofu, broccoli, almonds, figs, turnip greens and rhubarb and is the only known substance to inhibit absorption of both non-heme and heme iron.
    • Eggs contain a compound that impairs absorption of iron. Phosphoprotein called phosvitin is a protein with a iron binding capacity that may be responsible for the low bioavailability of iron from eggs. This iron inhibiting characteristic of eggs is called the “egg factor”. The egg factor has been observed in several separate studies. One boiled egg can reduce absorption of iron in a meal by as much as 28%.
    • Oxalates impair the absorption of nonheme iron. Oxalates are compounds derived from oxalic acid and found in foods such as spinach, kale, beets, nuts, chocolate, tea, wheat bran, rhubarb, strawberries and herbs such as oregano, basil, and parsley. The presence of oxalates in spinach explains why the iron in spinach is not absorbed. In fact, it is reported that the iron from spinach that does get absorbed is probably from the minute particles of sand or dirt clinging to the plant rather than the iron contained in the plant.
    • Polyphenols are major inhibitors of iron absorption. Polyphenols or phenolic compounds include chlorogenic acid found in cocoa, coffee and some herbs. Phenolic acid found in apples, peppermint and some herbal teas, and tannins found in black teas, coffee, cocoa, spices, walnuts, fruits such as apples, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries all have the ability to inhibit iron absorption. Coffee is high in tannin and chlorogenic acid; one cup of certain types of coffee can inhibit iron absorption by as much as 60%.
    • Phytate is a compound contained in soy protein and fiber. Even low levels of phytate (about 5 percent of the amounts in cereal whole flours) have a strong inhibitory effect on iron bioavailability. Phytate is found in walnuts, almonds, sesame, dried beans, lentils and peas, and cereals and whole grains. Phytate compounds can reduce iron absorption by 50% to 65 %

this coupled with a heavy period... i mean, come on. it's not that hard to understand. Women's RDA is already twice the value of men.... and you need MORE iron if you have digestive disorders, have recently donated blood, have a Malabsorption syndrome, or are pregnant. I'd say these are fairly common.

i think i could not drink tea with meals....just drink it separate of meals.

has anyone been told to get colonoscopy to fix iron issues....seems odd to me...not having any particular GI symptoms....no dark stools.
  • yirara
    Options
    Well I mean without a medical issue for low iron, like strictly low from your diet.

like i mentioned as well.... most non-meat sources of iron are poor. There's a good reason it's the most common deficiency in the world.

Not everyone has access to consuming red meats or foods fortified in iron. In my country we don't have any fortified foods (think oatmeals, cereals, breads, etc.). Unless i get iron from the foods i eat (which are all non-heme because i'm a vegetarian) it's super easy to get 20-30% RDA each day.

Just think about all the places in the world where either finances or culture dictate a more plant-based diet. Most non-meat sources of iron are packed full of iron inhibitors, meaning even though the food may be "high in iron" the iron is poorly absorbed. for example:
    • Medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach such as antacids or proton pump inhibitors.
    • Calcium (like iron) is an essential mineral, which means the body gets this nutrient from diet. Calcium is found in foods such as milk, yogurt, cheese, sardines, canned salmon, tofu, broccoli, almonds, figs, turnip greens and rhubarb and is the only known substance to inhibit absorption of both non-heme and heme iron.
    • Eggs contain a compound that impairs absorption of iron. Phosphoprotein called phosvitin is a protein with a iron binding capacity that may be responsible for the low bioavailability of iron from eggs. This iron inhibiting characteristic of eggs is called the “egg factor”. The egg factor has been observed in several separate studies. One boiled egg can reduce absorption of iron in a meal by as much as 28%.
    • Oxalates impair the absorption of nonheme iron. Oxalates are compounds derived from oxalic acid and found in foods such as spinach, kale, beets, nuts, chocolate, tea, wheat bran, rhubarb, strawberries and herbs such as oregano, basil, and parsley. The presence of oxalates in spinach explains why the iron in spinach is not absorbed. In fact, it is reported that the iron from spinach that does get absorbed is probably from the minute particles of sand or dirt clinging to the plant rather than the iron contained in the plant.
    • Polyphenols are major inhibitors of iron absorption. Polyphenols or phenolic compounds include chlorogenic acid found in cocoa, coffee and some herbs. Phenolic acid found in apples, peppermint and some herbal teas, and tannins found in black teas, coffee, cocoa, spices, walnuts, fruits such as apples, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries all have the ability to inhibit iron absorption. Coffee is high in tannin and chlorogenic acid; one cup of certain types of coffee can inhibit iron absorption by as much as 60%.
    • Phytate is a compound contained in soy protein and fiber. Even low levels of phytate (about 5 percent of the amounts in cereal whole flours) have a strong inhibitory effect on iron bioavailability. Phytate is found in walnuts, almonds, sesame, dried beans, lentils and peas, and cereals and whole grains. Phytate compounds can reduce iron absorption by 50% to 65 %

this coupled with a heavy period... i mean, come on. it's not that hard to understand. Women's RDA is already twice the value of men.... and you need MORE iron if you have digestive disorders, have recently donated blood, have a Malabsorption syndrome, or are pregnant. I'd say these are fairly common.

has anyone been told to get colonoscopy to fix iron issues....seems odd to me...not having any particular GI symptoms....no dark stools.

Oh gosh, this is a zombie thread. But yeah, no idea where my iron vanishes to, but it tends to be low. Getting iron shots for the first time ever now. Picked up the second today so lets see if it makes any difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Oh gosh, this is a zombie thread. But yeah, no idea where my iron vanishes to, but it tends to be low. Getting iron shots for the first time ever now. Picked up the second today so lets see if it makes any difference.

I've never had iron *shots* but I do get iron *infusions* regularly and had a *blood transfusion* once. I felt better the day after the transfusion. Infusions take a lot longer to kick in. Can be weeks, and might not be that obvious.

I'm curious how fast the shot kicks in for you - keep us posted!
  • yirara
    Options
    The shots are basically infusions without all the extra fluid, really. So basically i.v. injections. There are some types of iron that really burn when administered this way and there's a posh iron product that's rather expensive, about 40 Euro per vial. I'm getting the posh one and health insurance pays. Advantage is that it only takes 5 minutes including all preparations.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin every day with my breakfast. At my last blood test/health check up my Doctor said my iron levels were a bit high.