Hip pain after HM

Options
So I ran my second 1/2 yesterday. It was rainy and very muddy and I slipped at about mile 9. Didnt fall, but came very, very close and felt myself wrench my left hip round to stay upright. Knew it wasn't good as I couldn't run on immediately so I walked it out for 2 minutes, then ran on feeling like I'd been stabbed in the outer hip. The pain is in my left buttock, where the hip joins the pelvis. I think I might have pulled a ligament when I slipped. It was really, really painful and didn't really loosen up for the rest of the race (I wasn't going to stop with 4 miles to go (possibly a stupid decision!))

So today it is still sore and I am walking with a noticeable imbalance. I'm reluctant to use painkillers as I think the pain will help me not re-injure. I really want a long, hot bath, but I'm not sure that won't make the situation worse rather than better.

Any tips, or should I just a couple of days off exercise with some gentle stretching/ROM to keep from seizing up?

Replies

• Mamatano
    Mamatano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just take a couple of days off.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Play it safe see a doctor.don't be a Macho guy. Speaking from experience.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »

I second this! Old girl here!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options

It's hard enough to get an appointment if you're dying - they won't be interested in an injury, just pack me off with some painkillers. I might get an appointment with my physio though, that's probably a better bet.

Actually, a day at work with a fair bit of sitting alternated with hourly walks and gentle ROM has really helped, so hoping it's just a niggle and a few days off will fix me up.....
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would definitely keep walking and stretching, but I'd also get it checked out. You don't want a minor injury to turn into a persistent one. I've been there.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

It's hard enough to get an appointment if you're dying - they won't be interested in an injury, just pack me off with some painkillers. I might get an appointment with my physio though, that's probably a better bet.

Actually, a day at work with a fair bit of sitting alternated with hourly walks and gentle ROM has really helped, so hoping it's just a niggle and a few days off will fix me up.....

I would look at getting a knew doctor. Mine See's me no problem. When I started having trouble with my hip years ago we had an x-ray. Then when it got to the point I couldn't put my sockets on we had another. He told me I needed a new hip. It's your body but if it was me I would find a better Doc
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice, physio
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Rest and ice it. If it's still bothering you in a few days then I'd make an appointment with an orthopedist.