Best exercise routine to lose weight

Options
CW:250
Mid goal weight :180
What would be the best exercise routine to lose weight for me? I'm not really concerned about gaining muscle or anything.

Replies

• a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ^ What she said.

But also of importance: Does it matter to you what you look like when you've lost the weight? You say you're "not concerned about" gaining muscle, but I don't know whether to take that as "I'm not afraid to" (a lot of women are), or "this isn't an important issue for me".

If, when you reach your goal, you want to look "sleek" or "toned", then weight lifting is how you achieve that. If you just want to be a smaller version of yourself and don't mind that your body fat percentage will still be (relatively) on the higher side, then either no exercise or only cardio is fine.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight training 3 days a week combined with HIIT 2 days. To get big muscles requires lifting heavy and lots of protein. You can do a total body workout 3 times a week. 3 sets 8 to 10 reps pre body part. No more than a minute rest between sets.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    Weight training 3 days a week combined with HIIT 2 days. To get big muscles requires lifting heavy and lots of protein. You can do a total body workout 3 times a week. 3 sets 8 to 10 reps pre body part. No more than a minute rest between sets.

I don't think the OP said anything about getting big muscles......and given their question regarding exercise I would suspect a total newbie, HIIT would not be on my list of recommendations just yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What would be the best exercise routine to lose weight for me? I'm not really concerned about gaining muscle or anything.

Do what you enjoy and will stick with...consistency is more important than any one particular exercise.

Also, exercise isn't necessary to lose weight...I wouldn't recommend going that route, but it's not necessary...to lose weight you just need to consume less energy than you expend. Regular exercise will fractionally increase you daily energy expenditure...but really, for most people (outside of being an athlete and training like one), the expenditure from exercise pales in comparison to the energy you expend merely existing and doing your daily.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »

I don't think the OP said anything about getting big muscles......and given their question regarding exercise I would suspect a total newbie, HIIT would not be on my list of recommendations just yet.

Let's not even discuss the fact to get big muscles, you generally have to be a guy or a girl on steroids and years of dedication. Add in the fact that total volume has a greater impact the a specific rep range, in fact the majority of the post was fairly inaccurate. Although, a full body routine is very good for newcomers to follow.

OP, ideally the exercise you can stick with is best, but I would recommend some type of resistance training to help preserve you muscle mass and some cardio; maintaining muscle means you would have quicker body fat loss. Also, muscle directly is tied to metabolism. So maintaining muscle means you would have improved metabolic functions and a leaner and tighter body.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. It can help but it's the eating less part that makes you lose weight.

It's a calorie deficit that causes weight loss. (Or, surgery.) Exercise and eating can both contribute to a calorie deficit. Neither one is more "correct" than the other, it's simple math.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Cross-country skiing. If that's not available, running. Simply based on the fact these are the two most efficient ways to burn calories I'm aware of.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Cross-country skiing. If that's not available, running. Simply based on the fact these are the two most efficient ways to burn calories I'm aware of.

Cycling, swimming, rowing... all huge calorie burners.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can stick with will be the best exercise.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Plate push-aways and fork put-downs.

Not heard that tired line for awhile
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Op just make a plan and stick to it.
    You can do any exercise you fancy
  • kcflyer1957
    kcflyer1957 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. It can help but it's the eating less part that makes you lose weight.

That's exactly what my doctor told me. He said the exercise will make me healthier, but for weight loss - it's the diet
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

It's a calorie deficit that causes weight loss. (Or, surgery.) Exercise and eating can both contribute to a calorie deficit. Neither one is more "correct" than the other, it's simple math.

Exactly. A calorie not eaten has no greater effect on weight loss than a calorie burned through exercise.