October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    1) When you want to pace "anything sub-7:30" DO NOT START OUT AT A 7:03 PACE, DUMMY.

Sounds like you did exactly the same thing I did last year at the Huntsville Half. I ended up 12 seconds slower than my PR which was set 7 months previous. Hopefully I will not make that mistake this year. (must learn to start out slow) I have practiced that this year and was a bit successful.

Last year's splits:

tyump88eibj9.jpg

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    After thinking about it, having food and some rest, enabled the clearer thinking!, I've decided that the problem had to be with maymyrun. There is absolutely NO WAY I did an extra 2+ miles. If that was the case there would have been a riot. AND, I remembered the 3 hr pacer passing me at about the 10 mile marker (for the second time). So as much as I want to believe that I reduced my time by 27 minutes (without training and WITH a migraine), the truth wins. I still beat my Colfax time by a tiny bit, and it's still a PR, it's just not nearly as impressive as my oxygen and food deprived brain wanted to believe! But Colfax is 7 months from now and major improvements ARE possible!

Oh and did I mention that if something COULD hurt, it probably does? Yeah. Just ouch. All over!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks for the insight. I always run alone because everyone is much faster than me. That would be great to have someone to run and chat with. Good advice. I'll be on the lookout.

@katharmonic That is truly awful. My son (19) has suffered with major depression since puberty and has been suicidal some of that time. My heart goes out to her and her family.

Starting out slow will be the largest challenge. I used to run by feel. Then, after some heart problems (arrhythmia and a viral infection of my heart that almost killed me), my doctor advised me to consult a kinesiologist. He tested my max, lactate, and gave me zones. I have collected my heart rate data for years before that; this is the first time I've run by heart rate in order to build my aerobic base, which was pretty much nil after the infection and not great before the infection because I always ran too hard. It's been over two years now, a slow recovery process; I have made progress by staying 80% or more of my time below my aerobic threshold. It seems difficult to think about ignoring my heart rate for the race. I'm going to try. Thanks for all the advice, different methods, and encouragement!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In shocking news though, a body was found in the lake yesterday in the very state park that I walked in today and almost every day as there is a trial right from my neighborhood. I'm thinking it must have been a clear accident or suicide as there was no police presence this afternoon and there is no word about being on the lookout for anyone. It's scary and sad, though. Across town in another park we frequently run in, a guy was exposing himself to women on one of the trails yesterday. He was found and given basically a warning which is ridiculous. I hate that we have to be so concerned about safety running in the day time in a public park.

A group of runners with my wife's Fleet Feet NoBo group were flashed during that incident on the West Shore Trail - it is a more isolated area which is why my wife doesn't like to run there.

Green lakes looks beautiful - I tried to run through there yesterday but ended up in the campground area instead of the lake - I'll try again next week to find the lake :)

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm back baby. I avoided anything running related during my week off. It was pain but I pulled through.

Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1 - 5.9 km - Easy - Niggle in left IT band
    October 2 - 11.9km - Easy - Calves a little tight, fine after warm-up
    October 3 - rest
    October 4 - 6.7 km - Tempo - Fine, no pains
    October 5 - 6.2 km - Easy - Fine, taper fine, wanna go fast
    October 6 - 7.0 km - Easy - Very fine
    October 7 - 5.0 km - Easy - Springy, rested legs
    October 8 - 5.0 km - Easy - Ready to race
    October 9 - 21.1km - Race - Dead legs are dead
    October 10- rest
    October 11- rest
    October 12- rest
    October 13- rest
    October 14- rest
    October 15- rest
    October 16- rest
    October 17- 6.1 km - Easy - Tight calves

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 I'm sorry about the boyfriend, I hate that his family caused this. Can't we as parents learn to be happy for our kids. I pray that no matter who Skip brings home that I'm good enough of a person to be happy if she is happy. I think all we can ask (and want) for our children is for them to find someone who loves them, respects them and helps them to be all they can be. BTW been there done that with my EX hubby, his mom would actually try to fix him up with other people while we were married.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Naija82 . Sorry to read about your knee. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks seems to be okay today, I think I need new shoes, mine are a bit worn
  • Naija82
    Options
    @katharmonic That is truly heartbreaking! My heart goes out to her family and the poor girl I can't imagine the pain she must have been in. I've had some dark days and when you are there everything feels hopeless.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    My post is waiting approval but I ran 2 5ks this weekend. Boy, i got out of shape. but I only have 3 min to make up to get back to my best pace. Seems doable
  • Naija82
    Options
    Just a mile today, knee was much better but it's high time I bought some new shows

1/Oct - 8.82 miles
    2/Oct - 1.58 miles
    3/Oct - 5.01 miles
    4/Oct - 7.18 miles
    5/Oct - 5.02 miles
    6/Oct - 3.30 miles
    7/Oct - 1.27 miles
    8/Oct - 2.05 miles
    9/Oct - Oxford Half Marathon
    10/Oct - 1.64 miles
    11/Oct - 5.05 miles
    12/Oct - 8.06 miles
    13/Oct - 4.04 miles
    14/Oct - 5.14 miles
    15/Oct - 13.16 miles
    16/Oct - 2.99 miles
    17/Oct - 1.68 miles

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Totally did not want to get up to run this morning. So I didn't :-p I don't remember if I mentioned I was awake half the night Saturday night with asthma? Then I had a long day taking a group of kids to a corn maze/pumpkin patch Sunday. A nap would've been nice.

So I get off work a little early today and I'm gonna try for a 3pm run but goodness, it's 81 degrees outside (and climbing) and crazy windy! This oughta be fun :-/ Our next cool front hits Thursday - hallelujah! I hope this is summer's last hoorah. I suppose I should have a little mercy on myself and skip the hills today with the 20mph wind.

@AdrianChr92 Welcome back to running. I know a week can be an eternity to a runner who's not running :-D

@mmteixeira Lovely pic! This is my favorite season (although summer won't seem to leave us here).

@RespectTheKitty Hang in there and don't give up. Just do what you can.

@KatieJane83 Sorry for your situation :(
  • mmteixeira
    Options
    Just so that you know why I couldn't resist, this is the nice trail leading up the mountain:
    62ioy6uao14r.jpg

And this is the view from above the treeline (full panorama here):
    vr153iisnfud.jpg

Insanely jealous!! :)

• mmteixeira
    Options
    Ate some humble pie at my race today... I should have looked at the elevation chart with a more critical eye before I decided this was my fall goal race for the half.

@kristinegift I feel your pain - my first 10k two weeks ago was almost all hills - I did learn a great deal about what I could do though so worth it in the end - but I still wish I had scouted it first :)

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 I'm sorry about the boyfriend, I hate that his family caused this. Can't we as parents learn to be happy for our kids. I pray that no matter who Skip brings home that I'm good enough of a person to be happy if she is happy. I think all we can ask (and want) for our children is for them to find someone who loves them, respects them and helps them to be all they can be. BTW been there done that with my EX hubby, his mom would actually try to fix him up with other people while we were married.

Thank you! Yeah, I feel like when I have children, as long as they're happy and not hurting themselves/others I'll be happy. But what can you do. I have an ex hubby too, but ending that was a very good decision on my part, lol, considering how I was treated. And I learned one of life's most important lessons from that experience - know your own worth!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Date    Miles   Total
    10/01    3.1    3.1
           + Strength
    10/02    6.4    9.5
    10/03    Rest
    10/04    Strength
    10/05    4.0    13.5
    10/06    3.2    16.7
    10/07    Strength
    10/08    3.3    20.0
    10/09    7.0    27.0
    10/10    Rest
    10/11    3.2    30.2 
           + Strength
    10/12    Rest
    10/13    5.0   35.2
    10/14    Rest (Forgot to do the strength training...)
    10/15    4.3   39.5
    10/16    8.3   47.8 <- Total So Far

The church youth group had a lock-in Friday night and I was staying with them. I thought I would have to sacrifice my Saturday group run. But 2 of the girls had set their minds to run on Saturday morning and so, I didn't need to miss my run, yay! We took a long way to get donuts to the group and we run walk the way back.

Then, I had my long run on Sunday afternoon. My kids took their bikes. DH ran with the youngest in the first 5 miles while I ran with my own pace way behind everyone else. At one point, I was thinking "wow, this feels comfortable" but that didn't last long. DH had to leave for an event and I ran the last 3 miles trying to keep up with my 7-year-old biking. She kept talking to me and I was like "I can't hear you when you are in front of me" when I was actually thinking "this is NOT my conversational pace!" My splits pace don't seem to be different much comparing the first 5 miles and the last 3 tho. Perhaps, I just did a lot more of chasing and slowing down in those last 3 miles.

exercise.png

Thank you, @7lenny7, for the information and the link to that table several pages back. The spreadsheet didn't work on my Mac but I could get the data online from other sites. With my 5k race PR, I should be able to run a HM in approximately 2 hours. But I could not even break 2:20 yet. Perhaps, I still need a lot more training for my legs like you said... Or, I really should have run the race faster but didn't have the experience to run in the right effort level. Also, HRmax still confuses me: I started C25k about 2 years ago and my age based HRmax estimate was around 177 but I remember the treadmill was showing 180+. It was higher than my HRmax. I don't have a HRM now so, I don't know what kind of zone I have been running in even though I do try to keep it easy. I would very much like to get a HRM or a GPS watch with that function soon so I have an idea. I feel like perceived effort could be so deceiving.

@shanaber I also have a degree in Math/Stat field. I had 2/3 of my college credits in Math and the majority of the rest was Computer Science. Before I throw in the towel claiming that the Excel spreadsheet wouldn't work on my Mac, I did try and tweak the formulas and make it work. Mac does not interpret duration as a number. I was able make the changes so it calculated my VDOT and VO2Max. But I could not yet get the pace and decided not to waste my time any more because I can get those numbers online else where. I guess I have become less of a number geek after these years of being a stay home mom :sweat_smile:

A few more pages to catch up...
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ended up walking about 10 miles yesterday (in addition to a relatively intense solo 70 mile bike ride) so I postponed my longer run until this AM. Did the first 7 outside, then finished up on the treadmill as it was getting a bit too hot and sticky. Looking forward to a nice long swim this afternoon to help with the recovery.

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles
    10/5 - 4 mile
    10/8 - 3 miles
    10/9 - 26.2 miles (3:04:57 - Chicago marathon)
    10/13 - 4 miles
    10/15 - 6 miles
    10/17 - 12 miles

Total: 76 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 64 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@virkati - Usually in bigger races through urban environments, GPS watches brutally fail. Short of a pacer route mistake (see portland/santa rosa), course setup mistake (Vancouver), it probably is 13.1 as too many folks use races like those to qualify for the Olympic trials. Chicago for me registered at 27.02 (vs. definitely 26.2) and 28.5 for another friend. Although my garmin gave me a marathon PR of 2:59 for it (vs. my actual 3:05), I'm more likely to just believe the course (as it is a world major).

@kristinegift - Sorry to hear about the 1/2, still, good to learn some lessons about pacing/etc.. in your setup races. For me, as my GPS wasn't happy in Chicago, just sticking with the 3:05 pacers seemed to do the trick early on with keeping me on track and way from early mile mistakes.

@ddmom0811 - Haven't tried the horse route near Gainsville. Have a bunch of friends who ride Clarmont every few weekends, which has some nice hills as well. My Ironman 70.3 course in Haines City had some nice rollers too.

@mobycarp - Given your outcome at Boston last year, I think you've done pretty well at the marathon distance, but definitely understand how pacing mistakes in marathons can make the races pretty miserable experiences.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I feel you. my first half they said there were some hills, they should have said some minimountains.
    and my 5k on saturday, even trail runners were humbled by the hills.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 great race report and fantastic job!!! Can you imagine your time if you weren't playing dodge with stupid people! Congrats!!!!! :star:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running daily check in: After yesterday's intervals, I was still able to jog the hallway while my eggs cooked this morning. I didn't hurt as much as the day after the previous set of intervals, so that's progress. But it still seems prudent not to run today. PT tomorrow, and I'll see how that goes.