Why do people do this ?

Options
Ok, I think everyone thinks I'm starving myself or something. Is 1600 calories for someone who is 5'2 and active not enough or something ? I post what I eat on facebook and my friend tells me I need to eat more. I usually eat a little less so my post says "Candice was under her calorie goal for the day" almost every time. She tells me I'm not eating enough when I go to work. I live with my parents and younger brother, my brother orders pizza all the time with coke, trying to get me to eat it lol. My parents are trying to get me to eat things like chocolate covered almonds from Trader Joes and candy coated roasted peanuts. I think they think I'm depriving myself , which I'm not, I weigh like 203 right now used to be 230 at the beginning of this year. It just seems like everyone's trying to thwart my plans

Replies

• pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Why are you posting what you eat on Facebook?
    my fitness pal is set up so my activity is posted on facebook. :) it's in private settings or something like that.

• pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ok I want to make my activity on MFP public, so I guess I will have to get used to people trying to feed me XD. I haven't lost any significant weight yet, so I expect it to only get worse as I progress lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll need to get used to it.

I read something today where a person was advised that anyone over the age of 20 should regularly be consuming 2500-3000 calories.

People have NO CLUE about energy balance, or varying calorie requirements for different heights, ages, and activity levels.

You most certainly are not eating too little. Your calorie goal sounds spot on to me. I'm your height and very active, though I am older and am just about at goal weight. That figure is pretty much what I eat to lose weight very very slowly too.

To give you some reassurance, when I was around your weight, my doctor advised me to eat 1500-1800 calories to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Why are you posting what you eat on Facebook?

This was my thought too.

1600 sounds fine, most people don't know anything about calories, but going on about what you eat is a good way to get negative comments. I found it much easier to just be subtle about my dieting.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying to turn off the notifications. People have no idea about portion control anymore. 1600 for 5'2" is great. I am the same height and older, and can lose 2lb/week on that, but need to keep active. The reality is in the results. You have lost nearly 30lbs over 9 months. That's a great, safe loss.

Awesome job! (but really, the best way to keep people out of your business is to not share it in the first place)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    ok I want to make my activity on MFP public, so I guess I will have to get used to people trying to feed me XD. I haven't lost any significant weight yet, so I expect it to only get worse as I progress lol.

But why? The only possible upside I see is a sense of external accountability, and you can get that here from your feed. Friend some more people.