Why do people do this ?

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    27 pounds is significant to me!! And....Love your haircut!!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    if you listen to what "they" say you will never do anything.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I suggest turning off the posts going to Facebook. If you feel that you need accountability or feedback, build up a nice group of friends on here and use the forums.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Overeating is so normalized by mainstream culture imo that people can't really be blamed for thinking sensible portions are undereating- we have no idea what a reasonable portion looks like anymore, especially in the case of energy dense foods.

Ihave had friends over for dinner and had them insinuate I'm massively undereating and that's why I can't stop losing. Meanwhile I'm logging 3000 a day. Let it lie and stop posting on Facebook about it if her commentary bothers you, it isn't anyone's business but yours what you eat.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    Ok, I think everyone thinks I'm starving myself or something. Is 1600 calories for someone who is 5'2 and active not enough or something ? I post what I eat on facebook and my friend tells me I need to eat more. I usually eat a little less so my post says "Candice was under her calorie goal for the day" almost every time. She tells me I'm not eating enough when I go to work. I live with my parents and younger brother, my brother orders pizza all the time with coke, trying to get me to eat it lol. My parents are trying to get me to eat things like chocolate covered almonds from Trader Joes and candy coated roasted peanuts. I think they think I'm depriving myself , which I'm not, I weigh like 203 right now used to be 230 at the beginning of this year. It just seems like everyone's trying to thwart my plans

I'd argue that 1600 is a little low for an active teen who weighs more than 200 pounds. (I don't know whether you're a teen or young adult, but thought you might be a teen from the comment about living with your parents and brother.) Not crazy low or scary low, but lower than an active teen at that weight needs to go. Even if you're a young adult, 1800 would likely be more appropriate if you're quite active.

That said, you don't need the candy coated nuts, pop or pizza unless *you* are the one who wants them. Like others have said, stop sharing the food diary on Facebook and tell people (nicely) to mind their own business.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    So people on FB commenting that you don't eat much, reasures you of your diet progress, and in return is some kind of motivation for you..? As long as it works. ;)
    There are features on FB to avoid such posts ppl. No need to hate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Why are you posting what you eat on Facebook?
    my fitness pal is set up so my activity is posted on facebook. :) it's in private settings or something like that.

so if you're happy to post it to the whole world, you have to put up with the comments.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    So many people will knock you when what you need is support. I don't talk about my diet to anyone, because I know that will happen to me too. So I keep my diet here. There's so much help and advise here.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Just as much as I don't want to see a mapmyrun update shared every day on FB, I don't want to see a diary close notification from MFP there either. That's what MFP is for.

The odd manual update is fine but a constant stream would annoy me as much as the constant stream of "inspirational" memes in my feed. Keep the cat videos coming though!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    ok I want to make my activity on MFP public, so I guess I will have to get used to people trying to feed me XD. I haven't lost any significant weight yet, so I expect it to only get worse as I progress lol.

Fabulous that you've lost almost 30 pounds and are close to "Onederland". You must feel terrific. That is serious dedication. Sorry to hear that your family is trying to undo your progress.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    So people on FB commenting that you don't eat much, reasures you of your diet progress, and in return is some kind of motivation for you..? As long as it works. ;)
    There are features on FB to avoid such posts ppl. No need to hate.

No one is hating... Just stop.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    I'm on 1600 and I'm a grownass man of some not inconsiderable height and of enviable taste.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The answer is probably that they care about you and you have not communicated your goals or concerns well. Sit down with your family and explain your healthy weight loss plan and what is a healthy weight. Let them know they can eat what they want but you will not be eating as much.
    It may be people repeatedly seeing messages on facebook that you are eating under your calorie goal that makes them think you are not eating enough. Turn off the messages or eat to your goal.
    Did people really never eat and offer you these foods before you started losing weight? It may be you are over-restricting and just being more sensitive. Fit foods you find tempting in your calorie goal more often.
    Don't talk about it if you don't want input.

I made a decision this time not to talk about my weight loss to anyone I knew. I talk about it with anonymous internet strangers. I eat normal food so I don't look like I'm dieting. I don't post on facebook that I lost weight. If someone offers something I just say thank you but I don't want it right now unless I want it and can fit it in my goals. It has been easier not telling people everything.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    If you don't want input on something, don't post it on a platform that encourages discussion.

I keep FB and MFP separate for a reason. I don't need well-meaning but ultimately clueless folks I know chastising me for eating fewer calories - so I don't give them the opportunity to do so.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Ok, I think everyone thinks I'm starving myself or something. Is 1600 calories for someone who is 5'2 and active not enough or something ? I post what I eat on facebook and my friend tells me I need to eat more. I usually eat a little less so my post says "Candice was under her calorie goal for the day" almost every time. She tells me I'm not eating enough when I go to work. I live with my parents and younger brother, my brother orders pizza all the time with coke, trying to get me to eat it lol. My parents are trying to get me to eat things like chocolate covered almonds from Trader Joes and candy coated roasted peanuts. I think they think I'm depriving myself , which I'm not, I weigh like 203 right now used to be 230 at the beginning of this year. It just seems like everyone's trying to thwart my plans

I'd argue that 1600 is a little low for an active teen who weighs more than 200 pounds. (I don't know whether you're a teen or young adult, but thought you might be a teen from the comment about living with your parents and brother.) Not crazy low or scary low, but lower than an active teen at that weight needs to go. Even if you're a young adult, 1800 would likely be more appropriate if you're quite active.

That said, you don't need the candy coated nuts, pop or pizza unless *you* are the one who wants them. Like others have said, stop sharing the food diary on Facebook and tell people (nicely) to mind their own business.

She's not a teen or a young adult. Also, she could probably get away with eating more, but she may also have her goal set to lose 2lbs a week, which is not unhealthy. I do agree that she could probably get away with eating a bit more, but we also don't know what her definition of active is. Does that mean she's on her feet most of the day while also exercising 5-6 days a week? or getting 10k steps daily? or exercising 5 days a week? So a definitive answer for how many calories she should be eating can't really be given. She could have started eating at 1800 calories and wasn't losing at the rate she wanted.