October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say that all his HR, zones, vo2, etc. etc. is too much for my brain. I just have 4 modes: Conversational (most of my runs are done at this "pace"); faster for a while (marathon pace); faster so you can't talk (HM pace); so fast you might die (5k pace). No HR straps, no calculations, just "can I breathe? can I talk? ok ok!" I'm old school :p

@kristinegift that's a great way to run, for sure! Running doesn't have to be complicated. Shouldn't be complicated. That's one of the reasons I hesitated to post the link to the Daniel's tables. Speaking for myself, though, I love digging in to the minutia of anything I do but for most runners it's just way more that is necessary.

@MobyCarp though I feel sorry about your injury, I do enjoy reading about how you benchmark against your eggs cooking. Before you know it you'll be able to run down the hall long enough to cook eggs and bacon.

@shanaber I'm an electrical engineer and my wife has her Master's degree in Math. My kids are math geeks too. Two of the three are/were on the math team at school, my middle kid had a perfect score on the math portion of the ACT (science portion too), and my youngest is the only freshman in a class full of junior in advanced high school math. So yeah...you could say that we math at our house. I have my run data on two different spreadsheets on Google Docs, which repeats data from Garmin Connect, but I have it set up so I can easily see what I want, and easily plan ahead, whether it be for the next week or as I currently have it, my training through my April ultra.

@9voice9 ah yes...Lynyrd Skynyrd, my favorite band in my youth...I gave up a pair of free tickets to the 1987 World Series, Game 7 (in which my beloved MN Twins beat the St. Louis Cardinals, thanks for asking!) so I could go with my friends to see Lynyrd Skynyrd on their reunion tour (when Johnny first joined) in Indianapolis. At the time, that was as close as they were going to get to Minnesota. The real pisser was that we ended up getting back to Minnesota early enough that I could have made the game. The double pisser was that Skynyrd eventually did make their way to Minneapolis. I went to that concert too. I still like them quite a bit, but now lean more towards The Allman Brothers.

@RespectTheKitty that is amazing! What makes it even more cool is that this happened so soon after your other "friend" disrespected you and your running. You're awesome and people are noticing!

@RunRachelleRun I had trouble figuring out my goal pace on my first HM. The problem is, it takes running an HM to know what it feels like to run an HM, and then to know what level of effort you can sustain. I cant' recall if I was using the Daniel's table then or not. What I do know is that I went out what I thought was too fast (even though my perceived effort felt sustainable) so at about the mid-way point I took what I call a running break. I didn't walk, but i did slow down so my pace was slower...maybe a minute per mile slower...for about a half mile to let my HR drop and rest up. So I guess what I'm saying is, when you're out there, slowing the pace for a while is a viable alternative to walking to let your body rest and recover. In any event, be conservative. Not only does it leave more room for a PR on your next one, there's less chance of injury. I still haven't run a 5K all out because I'm paranoid but injury.

@katharmonic that's creepy on both counts! Love the pix though.

@kristinegift sorry your race didn't go as planned but you learned some valuable lessons that will certainly help you next time. Sounds like you're determined to do better next time and I have no doubt that you will.

@virkati awesome job on that HM!! Look at the plot of your race. Notice how jaggy the lines are? I'm sure you didn't wander about like that during the race. Your phone GPS didn't get a strong track on the satellites and the result is an erroneous distance. That's why I gave up on using my phone for tracking my runs.

@ereck44 congrats on the bloodwork! I have seen similar results and need to get back in for a new lab test.

@mmteixeira I'd love to run that path!

@mbaker566, Doubling up on the 5K's, nice! Adam was with you the entire way this time. I love that you ran with his ring.

@katiejane83, that just sucks!! WTH!! I just don't get some people (the parents). Obviously your Bf was in a tough spot, a spot his folks shouldn't have put him in. perhaps they caught a glimpse of your current MFP profile photo? (JK!) @skippygirlsmom I actually hope my kids find partners very much different than us. It will make family gatherings much more interesting!

@mom3over40 going from 5k to HM on those tables only work *IF* you get in a large base of miles so that basically your fitness level in relationship to an HM matches the fitness level you had for a 5K. Particularly for a first time a longer race distance, I would not expect to be able to meet the expected times. You're body is probably just not adapted to it yet. Daniel's table told me I could expect a 3:58 marathon. I made 4:00 my goal. I ended up with 4:09 because my quads just hadn't' been built up enough to withstand the beating. As far as HRMax, you could use one of the equations as a starting point, but I feel there is so much variability between runners that it's not a very good tool when you're trying determine a zone range within a few BPM. I use 185 because 182 is the highest reliable number I've been able to reach on my Garmin HR monitor (ignore first mile spikes, which can be crazy) so I added a few BPMs to it and declared that to be the number. One equation tells you to subtract your age from 220 to get your max. That would give me 171 but I've gone over that many times. With the tables it's really an iterative process for me. If I use the correct numbers for HRMax, then the various paces vs. HR should be correct (assuming not outlying issues such as high heat). After some tweaking, I've gotten it to work well for me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Envy that you can wear The Salomon Speed Cross trail shoes. Unfortunately I have DUCK Feet so I need a Big Toe Box and the Salomon running shoes just don't have that. I have 2 pairs of Salomon Hiking boots and they have the wide Toe Box option. Salomon has always had one of the best Tread patterns for Nasty Soft Terrain Trail shoes. On Hard Rock-Mountain Trails the lugs are a little to stiff and get ripped off/destroyed.

@juliet3455 (and a tag for @_nikkiwolf_ and @elise4270 who asked about them)Don't be so quick with the envy! I won these and had my choice of 4 different models. These seemed to be the model which would work best, however, my first run didn't go so well. A 6.3 mile trail run over hilly trails left me with a big blister on the outside of my big toe. The toe box was very snug. I'm not willing to give up on them right away. I had used my thicker trail socks, and hadn't used any "Trail Toes". After my blister is gone I'll try again with some thin, slippery socks I normally don't like, and I'll lube up Trail Toes.

The tread, on the other hand, was fantastic! The trail was a mix of loose sand, hard-pack sand, packed limestone gravel, and rocky/rooty dirt. I don't think I ever slipped.

I'm not sold on the quick lace system. I want to be able to loose the toe box portion without my heel slipping.

I'll try these again on my next trail run.
    shanaber wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - Love the pictures! Kody looks SO happy! Do you have to worry about ticks when you run with him there?

@shanaber we definitely have ticks here! As a hunting dog, Kody needs a good tick repellent and I use Vectra 3D. He's 8 years old, spent a lot of time in the woods and in the fields, and I've never found a tick on him. The stuff ain't cheap though.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Speaking of the Danielson tables. I plugged in the 15k time from my last HM and the 10k time was within seconds of what my recorded PR is. It will be interesting to see next summer how things look after I've been running for a year. The predicted marathon time really intrigued me. I don't think, even when/if I train up for one next year, that I'd be able to get the time the table says, but it was cool to see
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 (and a tag for @_nikkiwolf_ and @elise4270 who asked about them)Don't be so quick with the envy! I won these and had my choice of 4 different models. These seemed to be the model which would work best, however, my first run didn't go so well. A 6.3 mile trail run over hilly trails left me with a big blister on the outside of my big toe. The toe box was very snug. I'm not willing to give up on them right away. I had used my thicker trail socks, and hadn't used any "Trail Toes". After my blister is gone I'll try again with some thin, slippery socks I normally don't like, and I'll lube up Trail Toes.

The tread, on the other hand, was fantastic! The trail was a mix of loose sand, hard-pack sand, packed limestone gravel, and rocky/rooty dirt. I don't think I ever slipped.

I'm not sold on the quick lace system. I want to be able to loose the toe box portion without my heel slipping.

I'll try these again on my next trail run.

@7lenny7 I had considered the Speed Cross 3's on sale a week or two ago on Amazon - shoe looked awesome and the tread looked great but I read the lugs on the outside are not durable and they run narrow (which you have confirmed) - I also wasn't a fan of the quick lace system - I ended up getting the Saucony Peregrine 6's which I had demoed on a 3 mile trail run and really liked - wider toe box and very aggressive treads... now I just need a chance to go out and run in them :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Oct total (goal 50)
    10/01/16 :::: 5.8 :::: 5.8
    10/02/16 :::: 2.8 :::: 8.6
    10/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.8
    10/04/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 13.9
    10/05/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.9
    10/06/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 16.1
    10/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.1
    10/08/16 :::: 1.2 :::: 17.3
    10/09/16 :::: 13.1 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/11/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/13/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 swim 20 minutes
    10/14/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/15/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/16/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 32.6 plus 5 mile walk w/ Stella!
    10/17/16 :::: 1.4 :::: 33.9

Today: ugh, 20 minute run felt like I'd never run before. My legs felt terrible. Not sure I will do my group workout tomorrow night. I should probably squeeze in more yoga/stretching.

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ...less than 100 miles to run in Nov/Dec, to make my yearly mileage goal.
    Yeah, like <100 miles over 2 months is gonna happen with you. :smiley:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Was able to get a 5 mile run on the treadmill this evening. I swear, running is like a drug. I feel miserable when I don't get a run, and I'm always looking forward to my next run. What has happened to me?! :)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @9voice9 ah yes...Lynyrd Skynyrd, my favorite band in my youth...I gave up a pair of free tickets to the 1987 World Series, Game 7 (in which my beloved MN Twins beat the St. Louis Cardinals, thanks for asking!) so I could go with my friends to see Lynyrd Skynyrd on their reunion tour (when Johnny first joined) in Indianapolis. At the time, that was as close as they were going to get to Minnesota. The real pisser was that we ended up getting back to Minnesota early enough that I could have made the game. The double pisser was that Skynyrd eventually did make their way to Minneapolis. I went to that concert too. I still like them quite a bit, but now lean more towards The Allman Brothers.
    And of course, I'm in middle Georgia, which was the stomping ground for the Allmans in the day. Eat at H&H when I can arrange it - just because it's connected. Not a HUGE fan, but I do enjoy a lot of their stuff - it's an interesting mix of an almost jazz-like harmonic and stylistic approach with the Southern Rock thang, with a good measure of the blues thrown in, just for giggles.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    I ended up getting the Saucony Peregrine 6's which I had demoed on a 3 mile trail run and really liked - wider toe box and very aggressive treads... now I just need a chance to go out and run in them :)
    @mmteixeira I have the 4's and <3 them. Like you said the Wider Toe Box ( Thank You Saucony ) and aggressive treads. I Recently did a 10 km Roots and Ruts race on some Gnarly Single Track Bush Trail. Didn't matter if it was a 2 or 20 step Vertical Hill (up or down - what our club members call Sissy Hills ) or side slopes they grabbed on and hung on. Making the race a lot of fun. I may not have had a good Clock time but I had a good time playing in the trees and hills. The Race Name is very accurate with Tree roots sticking up all over the place and Ruts from Motocross Bikes and ATV's. Then the mini-swamps/mud holes that could grab a shoe and suck it off your foot - Passed two Lady runners who had lost shoes in the widest-deepest swamp - one was rebooting and the other was still searching for her one shoe. Like a true runner they were both laughing about the adventure. Anyone who has ever lost a boot in spring gumbo mud knows what this is like. Seen them at the finish line and nominated them for Dirtiest Mudder award - they deferred to the kids who were doing 3/5km.

Had a really nice slow Riverbank Run tonight 11 km 69 mins, 3C=38F just a beautiful evening for a run.
    No major discomfort from my right calf. Definitely looks like my assessment of the one pair of shoes causing the trouble was right. My favorite Shoe store is joining up with some social agencies and doing a Shoes for Peru so most of my retired shoes will be dropped in the collection. As one lady said - An old pair of shoes that we consider to be worn out is better than sandals made from an old car tire and a piece of rope. Going to throw in a few soccer balls ( football for Europeans ) and hand pumps.

October Running 140km Goal 160km Stretch
    10/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – YTD 954.5 km
    10/01 – 6.0 km – 6.0 - 134 km
    10/02 – 1.0 km – 7.0 - 133 km
    10/04 – 2.0 km – 9.0 - 131 km
    10/06 – 2.0 km – 11.0 - 129 km
    10/08 – 6.0 km – 17.0 - 123 km
    10/11 – 10.0 km – 27.0 - 113 km
    10/12 – 10.0 km – 37.0 - 103 km
    10/13 – 5.0 km – 42.0 - 98 km
    10/14 – 6.0 km – 48.0 - 92 km
    10/15 – 8.0 km – 56.0 - 84 km
    10/15 – 11.0 km – 67.0 - 73 km – YTD 1021.5 km Mizuno Inspire Riverbank 69 mins

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    ...less than 100 miles to run in Nov/Dec, to make my yearly mileage goal.
    Yeah, like <100 miles over 2 months is gonna happen with you. :smiley:

I don't know. That seems like a lot.....
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Was able to get a 5 mile run on the treadmill this evening. I swear, running is like a drug. I feel miserable when I don't get a run, and I'm always looking forward to my next run. What has happened to me?! :)

ADDICTED
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @shanaber I also have a degree in Math/Stat field. I had 2/3 of my college credits in Math and the majority of the rest was Computer Science. Before I throw in the towel claiming that the Excel spreadsheet wouldn't work on my Mac, I did try and tweak the formulas and make it work. Mac does not interpret duration as a number. I was able make the changes so it calculated my VDOT and VO2Max. But I could not yet get the pace and decided not to waste my time any more because I can get those numbers online else where. I guess I have become less of a number geek after these years of being a stay home mom :sweat_smile:
    @mom3over40 - I know you can get excel for Mac - my daughter uses it quite extensively. I also have the free Excel on my ipad but while curious I have not yet had a chance to try the Daniels spreadsheets with it. I have my doubts that the macros and scripting will actually work. I suspect the numbers geek in you is still there and will make an appearance with your kids. My daughter still teases us (my husband is one too) about having geeks for parents :laugh:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk
    7---0.6 walk
    8---rest
    9---state fair walk, 1+ miles
    10---3.36
    11---pt appointment
    12---sore/rest
    13---35 minutes bike trainer/2.45 TM walk/few weights
    14---4.4 walk
    15---4.8 walk
    16---2 poké walk
    17---2.1 Robbers Cave hike. http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.6415?CMP=PPC_G_SP123_RobbersCaveStatePark&gclid=Cj0KEQjwj7q6BRDcxfG4pNTQ2NoBEiQAzUpuW2-_ubXgRJIWqQp62L0OvdsHTDSII--On_mCJgMB8CkaAn9Y8P8HAQ

35.22/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered) DNF

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I lived in Wilburton a short while as a child and have been to Robbers Cave! I'd love to go again as it's not far from where I live now but my husband is so not into hiking. Sigh. That's one of my favorite childhood memories though <3
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

October goal...run to earn wine and ice cream

10/1: core/strength training, 2 mile run and 20 minutes of fancy footwork trying to herd the neighbor's stray cow out of our yard
    10/2 rest
    10/3 slug...never got out of my nightgown and played computer games (it was FABULOUS!)
    10/4 4.10
    10/5 3.11
    10/6 core/strength training
    10/7 rest
    10/8 3.25
    10/9 6.48
    10/10 3.18
    10/11 Snorkel 3 hours
    10/12 4.28
    10/13 core/strength and 2.41
    10/14 rest
    10/15 4.50
    10/16 core/strength and 2.07
    10/17 3.22 Today is my son's birthday.....7 months ago we weren't sure he would see this one...Halleluia!

Total 35.38

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    I love seeing that so many of us have math or math related backgrounds - wow. We really are a bunch of running, numbers geeks! Fascinating!!

I have been reading through on all the posts and see lots of great races and runs getting done!
    @kristinegift - I'm sorry the HM didn't work out the way you wanted but it seems like you learned a lot from it that you can put to good use!
    @skippygirlsmom - I am so sorry that Skip is having a rough time this season... It has been a rough fall for both of you and you have been through a lot! I bet she had a wonderful time at the Prom - doesn't seem like she could be old enough to going to one yet!
    @mmteixeira - love the scenery that you have to run through! So beautiful!!
    @Virkati - I had a similar issue with MMR when I ran the SF Marathon 2nd Half. It was off starting with the 1st or 2nd mile - said I was running VERY fast so I slowed down and the race was a pacing mess for me from that point on. I think the next race I am going to turn the notifications off and just use the pace on my watch. It isn't accurate either but much closer than MMR.
    @mbaker566 - I can't believe you ran 2 5ks in one weekend but it does look like they were so much fun and you got great bling! It is a great idea to wear your husbands ring with you so you can keep him close! You know he would be so very proud of you! I also love your pup keeping you from getting up and going anywhere!
    @lporter229 - I hate when people move up in corrals just so they can start earlier or be right at the front! I am surprised that there wasn't a meet up tent at the finish line. In SF they had one and it made it much easier to find people after the race. Great job on the PR (1 second PR IS still a PR!) and great race report.
    @HonuNui - Happy Birthday to your son! This is definitely a sweet one to celebrate! I am hoping that he is continuing to do well and see improvements.

I had a bit of good news from the sports chiro today - my Achilles is doing well and he may allow me to 'try' a very small amount of running in a week or two. I have another treatment on Friday and go back next week for the analysis to see if my orthotics need to be updated. I am continuing with my walking and the stretches and exercises he gave me.

I also got notice that the USA Invitation HM in November has been canceled due to permit issues- WHAT?!?! Honestly I was shocked! One of the race organizers is Merhawi Keflezighi (Meb's brother)! and they had so much press and excitement about it last year. The good news though is I was prepared to not be able to run it and now I will get my money back! I hope they are able to work things out and can have it next year... and that I can qualify again.

I slipped in the mud tonight at agility class (we actually had rain today!) and came down oddly on my other leg pulling something behind my knee. I have been icing it but it still feels like it is tightening up. Does anyone know of any good stretches for that part of your leg?

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 October – 10.6 km including parkrun
    03 October – 12.4 km
    04 October – 10 km
    05 October – 10.2 km
    06 October – 10 km
    08 October – 10.5 km including parkrun
    09 October – 13.6 km first try at trail running
    10 October – 10.9 km
    11 October – 10 km
    12 October – 6.7 km
    13 October – 9.3 km
    15 October – 10 km
    16 October – 13 km in the rain
    18 October – 10.2 km

Goal: 160 km (100 miles) Awesome Virtual Events October Challenge
    Total: 147.4 km

Events:
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km or HM

@lporter229 Awesome HMs!! You've still got it, baby!!

I got a B for maths in the final year of school. Didn't study it in university. 30 years later, I've been working in a Financial Planning office for 6 years.

I have a love/fear relationship with maths. I love exploring all the running apps and data, but there's always so much more to learn! And you guys are teaching me a lot.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/01 6.5 miles
    10/07 3.2 miles
    10/10 13.1 miles Half marathon PB!!
    10/17 3.2 miles easy/recovery run

First run back after the half, knee still not a 100% but I've got bored of waiting for it, not any worse after the run so keeping it at easy 5ks for now and see how that goes.

@7lenny7 thank you for the spreadsheet having fun looking at all the stats, definitely agree about the difference between 10k and half marathon base building as I'm still working on my base my half marathon time doesn't match the prediction for my 10k yet but I'm working on that over the winter.

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not running until later today, but I have to tell you about the massage I got last night because it was amazing and painful and great.

The place I go to, I don't have a regular massage therapist; I just get who is free. Last night I got a therapist I'd never worked with before. I told her I'd run a race the day before and that I'd prefer for her to focus more on my legs than my back/arms/etc. And boy, did she ever! She spent about 20-25 minutes of this 50 minute massage (last time I went in I got a full body and legs were maybe 8-10 minutes total) getting REALLY DEEP into my legs. She was using her forearm and elbow to dig deep into the knots in my hamstrings and calves, she pushed hard into my IT bands despite my pain giggles. When she found a knot, she would press and rub on it despite the pain until she was sure it was gone. I don't know where she did her training, but she went all the way up connecting muscle groups -- IT band into glute, hamstring into glute, calf down to heel -- instead of just massaging the bulky muscles. And she dug knots out of my shoulders I'd never known were there. It was so, so painful but I feel so good today. She complimented me on being able to take such a hard massage; she told me that she only massages men that hard and sometimes they tell her to tone it down! She also was really astute. She could feel how hard my muscles were and told me to drink more water because I was dehydrated (ding ding ding!). I will definitely be coming back to her after the Philly Marathon (though perhaps a couple days removed so I'm not so tender)!

My right hamstring IS still a little tender though (less so after a hot shower) so I will not be doing any speed work until Sunday for sure. Lots of easy, slower miles through the week since I have a big mileage weekend coming up. But I'm so glad I booked that massage for yesterday and was by chance assigned an excellent massage therapist who actually knows what "firm" means and didn't baby me just because I was a woman.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate 4 pairs of shoes and a couple of them are starting to show significant wear on the outside heels. The blue image is my New Balance m880v6's - with about 60 miles on them. The other image is my Hoka One One Clifton 3's with about 50 miles on them. The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

Any thoughts on why my shoes might be wearing out on the heels that quickly?

acq7l61f4wpi.jpg
    cliirfikzgy2.jpg