My job prevents opportunities.

Options
I know blaming my job is an excuse, but hear me out. I work 5 days a week. 9am-8pm My wife works 11am-7pm. We have a baby boy who is almost 2 that stays with his grandma all day until i get out of work. By the time I get home all I want to do is spend time with son. I would work out at night after he's asleep, but he doesn't go to bed until around 11:30pm and I would work out in the morning but I can't function at work on less than 6-7 hours of sleep. Hello Mr find the time

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    2 years old and doesn't go to bed till 11.30PM?

I am guessing that is an adjustment to parents work schedule. No need to get up early for school at this time. I was thinking that at first as well, but both parents work late into the evening, everyone's schedule adjusts for that would be my guess.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Our first daughter, who was babysat by my mother, also went to bed late. My mom was just a genius at getting her to nap for long periods of time. I finally had to ask her to limit nap time to something a little more reasonable. Maybe that will help you too?

You didn't mention weekends. Can you slip off to the gym then and do on the floor bodyweight exercises with the little guy during the week?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that you don't have to have a structured workout every single day. So if you could get 2 workouts in on the weekends, you'd only have to find another day or 2 during the week to either get up earlier or do active play with your son after you get home.

Everyone has their "stuff" that could prevent workouts from happening. You either find a way or you'll find an excuse.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would love to say I or my husband ever got 6-7 hours of sleep with 2 year old..

It really all boils down to balance. You will have to work with the people and schedules you have. But can you go bed just 1 hour early and do this in the a.m... (does this fit around you and your wife's a.m. schedule)? I know that it is sacrifice from being with your son till 11:30, and yes all of this time with him is precious, so finding what compromises you need or can take will take some trial and error to see what works.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So far I have just been doing Push Ups and sit ups. I've seen great progress in both areas. I want to go to the gym on the weekend, but my mother in law makes a big fuss about it if I make her do anything on my days off because she has him so much. Maybe I'll try to go early in the morning on my days off when the baby is still sleeping. Around 6am should work. It would be better if we had the same days off, but we don't
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Pay for additional child care to allow you to focus on yourself?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know blaming my job is an excuse, but hear me out. I work 5 days a week. 9am-8pm My wife works 11am-7pm. We have a baby boy who is almost 2 that stays with his grandma all day until i get out of work. By the time I get home all I want to do is spend time with son. I would work out at night after he's asleep, but he doesn't go to bed until around 11:30pm and I would work out in the morning but I can't function at work on less than 6-7 hours of sleep. Hello Mr find the time

go to bed at midnight, get up at 6.30, workout before you need to get ready for work?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weekends? Lunch breaks? Get up half an hour earlier in the AM?

If it's a priority you'll find time for it............
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your child needs to learn how to self-play as well as having parents to play with - working out only takes 10 min a day, wouldn't it be good for him to learn to self-play for 10 min a day while you workout? Plus, what a great example to set for him so when he is grown he recognizes that it's important for him to look after his health by exercising.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

go to bed at midnight, get up at 6.30, workout before you need to get ready for work?

I would need to get up a little earlier cause he gets up at 6:45 on the dot. I think if I do it right I'll be okay.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Work out on your lunch hour.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So far I have just been doing Push Ups and sit ups. I've seen great progress in both areas. I want to go to the gym on the weekend, but my mother in law makes a big fuss about it if I make her do anything on my days off because she has him so much. Maybe I'll try to go early in the morning on my days off when the baby is still sleeping. Around 6am should work. It would be better if we had the same days off, but we don't

Is there a gym near you with daycare? Your little guy might relish the opportunity to interact with other kids while you workout.

PS Congrats on the progress in push-ups and sit-ups. Have you heard of You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG)? There's lots more you can add.

• Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Weekends? Lunch breaks? Get up half an hour earlier in the AM?

If it's a priority you'll find time for it............

I'm just starting again, so I am making it a main priority of mine. Really just needed to hear other people to tell me to stop making excuses. :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I would need to get up a little earlier cause he gets up at 6:45 on the dot. I think if I do it right I'll be okay.

you have a 2 year old who manages on 7 hours sleep... that's hardcore.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Your child needs to learn how to self-play as well as having parents to play with - working out only takes 10 min a day, wouldn't it be good for him to learn to self-play for 10 min a day while you workout? Plus, what a great example to set for him so when he is grown he recognizes that it's important for him to look after his health by exercising.

I guess I just feel guilty for being gone so much. 10 min shouldn't kill him. Thanks for that :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Can you budget to get the equipment to do the type of exercise you want to do at home? This could help both you and your wife. It cuts out the getting to and from the gym time. Plus your child will see you working out, which is you setting a good example.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Your normal work day is 11 hours? Do they give you lunch time? 1-3 hours? Split shift? We get 1 hour off, and there are people here where I work that spend 30 minutes of that on an elliptical just to get time to work out. Then on their two days off (usually a weekend) they spend at least a couple hours of one of those days working out (or 1 hour per day Sat/Sun). It can be done. But I have been where you are. My previous job was a 9-11 hour shift every day, and we didn't get to leave for lunch, work paid for lunch so we would stay and work/answer phones. It was horrible and I could not wait to leave it. I managed to do it for 7 years and it just about made me want to change careers. I now work 8am to 5pm, get 1 hour off for lunch each day. I work out from 5:30am until 7am every morning (I get up at 5am) 4 of the five work days each week, then work out for at least an hour each of my weekend days off. I am usually getting ready for bed at 8pm during the work week and am almost always IN bed by 9pm, and asleep before 10pm. I get an average of 7 hours of sleep a night and it's enough for me at least until the weekend when I can catch up on an hour or two extra Sat/Sun.

If you're getting home at 8, dinner is going to monopolize your time until at least 9 ish, and my guess is you are up until a minimum of 11pm each night after your toddler goes to sleep. Doesn't honestly leave much time for time with your wife or time for yourself. So my guess, and this would be me as well, is that you likely go to bed around midnight each night so getting up at 5am isn't such a good idea.. but what about 6 or 6:30am on a work week? Get up, have some caffeine, get ready and work out from 7-8, then get ready for work. It took me a while to get into a routine, and I had to give up watching TV in bed for 2 hours a night. But honestly after a couple of weeks of forcing myself to get up at 5am to work out by 5:30 it wasn't a problem. I couldn't keep my eyes open beyond 9:30-10pm. It's all about priorities I guess.

One thing is for certain, you'll have to fix the toddler's sleeping schedule within the next 3 years for school. That may help, but I wouldn't want to work out before bed, there's no way I could sleep after all that. But maybe at that point you can get to bed earlier. My kids are all raised, so that's a big plus on my end of things, as well as the 40 hour work week. If you can find even 30 minutes in the mornings to work out you'll be much happier with your results, and it really helps to kick start your metabolism for the day.