Wonderful people over 60

Options
I am (a young) 65 and I have to lose 80 to 100 pounds. I realize that at our age we need a bit more support and incentive. I'd like to hear more from seniors embarking on this journey. Let's be friends.

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I am one of those 69, been on here for three years got to keep going. Good luck
  • cjoy1022
    cjoy1022 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Been on MFP 45 days. Serious about this. Will be 68 next week. Not allowed more than 1200 calories a day because of my height. Grateful for this free app and the Internet in general. It makes it so much easier than it used to be (and less costly) to get healthy. Fighting a little fatigue, though. Gotta keep going in order to enjoy the "golden years."
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    61 now, started at 59, and am in my maintenance range, wanting to lost 3 more to get to low end of the range. Nearly 2.5 years, & 148 lbs lost. My view is that it's not necessarily harder at "our age". If it's a little harder physically, it can be easier mentally. Maybe we are more committed because "doing it for health" means a lot more. We have the life experience to stick with our goals and commitments. What "other people" think doesn't affect us as much. The mental aspect of weight loss is the hard part, and we have lots of skills in that area. Younger women frequently ask me what I've done & how I stay motivated. So it's not like they have it figured out and it's a breeze.

What matters is that you decide what you want, make a plan, set some good habits, and follow them day in and day out. Don't sit around waiting to "feel motivated." Just act on your plan and follow your new habits, the same way you brush your teeth and take a shower.

I don't think about whether I "feel motivated" before I fix my meal, go on a walk, or go to fitness class. I do it because that is my plan and my decision. I don't want to go back to where I was--I felt awful physically and mentally--and that's enough to keep me on track. It's not easy, but it can be done. I've done it and after 29 months I'm staring my goal in the face.
  • Angiepeg
    Angiepeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 now - I started in July 2015 weighing in at 296 lbs my weight today is 205 lbs. Still a long way to go. I stick to around 1200 calories per day, strength training at a gym three times a week, cardio on my stationary bike five times a week. I walk when I can and try for the 10,000 steps a day, but I don't beat myself up when I don't make it. I use anything at all that motivates me - visualisation, positive thinking, anything. Some things work well or they only work for a few days or weeks. Keep looking for new motivations all the time. Plan food intake and plan the odd favourite meal now and then. It's important not to see food as a reward or as a crutch to lean on. I know this is easier said than done, it's kind of brainwashing yourself and it works in the long term.
  • Chinatot054
    Chinatot054 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 myself and I just started in June and is down 30 lbs. I'm trying to get below 300lbs. I don't ever remember being below 300 lbs in my whole lifetime, so it's going to be a big deal hitting below 300. I have been a food addict as long as I can remember, tried everything, nothing work until I came to MFP and find all of you here working this program. I plan to be here for a long time until I lose all my weight. I don't know how long it will take but I am staying the journey this time. I always tell myself one day at a time, but sometimes it get as bad as one hour at a time, but I haven't given up. Thanks to all you ladies that has gone on this journey before, to let us know it's not impossible. It can be done!
    Jennifer