October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of us are numbers/data geeks! Would love to know how many here have math/stats/engineering backgrounds???

I'll start off - my degree is in mathematics with minors in computer science, chemistry and biology. I did computer performance and capacity analytics for many years...

It seems I'm the odd one out - so I gotta comment on this & represent :wink:

I have a bachelor's in studio art with an English minor. I also worked on, but didn't complete (for various reasons) K-12 art teaching certification...I'm considering going back to school for a master's in art therapy, but still undecided about that. Right now I have too much on my plate to take on anything else.

No numbers, stats, or data in my educational background! Although I do appreciate a good spreadsheet....

Now I gotta go back & read all the rest of the posts I skimmed through :smile:

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 That looks beautiful. Enjoy! I bought the best hot dogs from Fred Meyer when we went camping in Oregon this summer. They were organic - just checked my diary: Teton Waters Ranch uncured beef frankfurters. Not a hot dog fan, but these were delish if you can find them!

The nearby kids sound hilarious; can't say I ever played that and I had three older brothers.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Got a question for the folks who run more/better/have more experience than me. With my current 4/6/4/6/4/8-10 schedule of all easy z2 running, How frequently should I look at doing cutback weeks and, how about adding mileage. Just do a similar rotation of 2-3 weeks of running, then a cutback week then add mileage?

Also, while I'm at it, how much mileage to add when I get back to it? I was doing the 1 mile added for each day I run method before, but I'm always looking for new ideas.

I have a LONG time until HM training starts, but I also don't want to get bored with the routine, and I'm looking to be in the 40-45mpw range when I start up HM training in late Feb. Any suggestions/advice on how to shape things?

Sorry for the randomness, I just was typing stream of thought.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't remotely keep up with all of you. This is such a prolific group and huge runs everyone! As a new runner I'm just so impressed. Since I'm one of the older ones here I doubt I'll ever catch up to any of you but it's fun trying......LOL. My epiphany this morning while I was running was how easy it is to run a 5K whenever I want to now. Never imagined I'd feel like that!

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills
    10/03 – Rest Day
    10/04 – 2.1 mile horse trail run with dog – testing out the new Garmin
    10/05 – 3.31 miles horse trail run with dog – looks like Garmin is about 7-8 bbm higher than my Polar
    10/06 – 95 min strength training
    10/07 – 3.6 miles horse trail run with the dog – AVG HR 146
    10/08 – Rest Day
    10/09 – 4.52 miles at the park – longest run yet – AVG HR 147
    10/10 – Another Rest Day……ugggghhhh
    10/11 – 3.1 miles horse trail run – Fastest 5K yet – AVG HR 147
    10/12 – 3.1 miles horse trail run plus a 3 mile walk this morning
    10/13 – 4 mile walk along the river trail
    10/14 – 95 min strength training
    10/15 – Spent the day at the Aquarium of the Pacific………..lots of walking
    10/16 – 4.6 mile horse trail run – AVG HR 143 but I did run one very steep hill and it got up to 160
    10/17 – 100 min strength training
    10/18 – 3.1 mile run – One big hill – AVG HR 136 a nice recovery zone for me I guess

Upcoming race:

Nov 19 - 10K Turkey Trot - San Dimas

I'd like to sign up for some 5K's as well but my husband is having a second surgery soon so I'm trying to just keep my calendar open. Looking forward to the 10K with my daughter and son in law though.

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oct 1 - Rest day
    Oct 2 - 2 mile run, .75 walk, 15 min bodyweight exercises
    Oct 3 - 2.75 mile walk
    Oct 4 - 2 mile run, 1.5 mile walk
    Oct 5 - Rest day
    Oct 6 - 1.5 mile walk
    Oct 7 - 4 mile run, 1.5 walk
    Oct 8 - 3 mile run, 1.5 mile walk (trail)
    Oct 9 - Rest day
    Oct 10 - A.M. 1 mi nasty run, .65 mi walk, 30 min indoor workout
    Oct 10 - P.M. 15 min lower body strength,3 mi awesome interval run, 1 mi walk
    Oct 11 - 5k run, 1 mi walk
    Oct 12 - 40 min indoor cardio/strength workout
    Oct 13 - 5k run
    Oct 14 - 3.5 mile interval run, .65 walk, 45 min strength training
    Oct 15 - 4 mile slow run, 1 mile walk
    Oct 16 - somewhat active rest day, almost 10,000 steps
    Oct 17 - 3 mi run, .75 walk, 25 min total body strength (Fitness Blender "Push Yourself Harder")

Goal: 31.8/60 miles run

@fclark11 I'm a little behind too, but we can do this!

Yesterday's afternoon run was mid-80's with 20mph wind. It was surprisingly not terrible. But I remember the last half mile being rough so I suppose I couldn't have lasted much longer. I think the wind had died down and I was suddenly super hot. But I remember thinking I felt really good and not sore anywhere.

I seem to be done with early morning runs before work. I'll try to run at 7pm tonight. I set out my clothes and my alarm went off but my hubby wasn't up and was complaining he felt terrible and didn't know if he could go to work. My life feels very up-in-the-air right now. I have a hard time just saying "Oh, you feel like crap? Sorry. See ya in 90 mins after I warm up, run, cool down, stretch, foam roll and shower!" :-/ We're trying to decide right now if we're taking his Dr's suggestion and making a trip to the Mayo Clinic. Mostly hinging on insurance approval. I mean, we've decided we're going if insurance covers it. Just trying to work out the details. So I'm just trying to learn to balance taking care of myself and doing "this running thing" while my spouse is not well.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Love TTB! Also, Gov't Mule. Joanne Shaw Taylor is great...I really like her "White Sugar" album.

@karllundy "White Sugar" and "Diamonds In The Dirt" were excellent - still my favorites from her - she came to a local club near home so I got the chance to see her play - only an hour show and she did mostly stuff from her new album "Wild" but she was fantastic - a true musician...
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 That looks beautiful. Enjoy! I bought the best hot dogs from Fred Meyer when we went camping in Oregon this summer. They were organic - just checked my diary: Teton Waters Ranch uncured beef frankfurters. Not a hot dog fan, but these were delish if you can find them!

The nearby kids sound hilarious; can't say I ever played that and I had three older brothers.

I think @Elise4270 was right - those kids were from Arkansas! http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/21204
  • mmteixeira
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ericsmi wrote: »
    I have the same issue and it is the reason I have tried a number of different shoe models and brands. They all wear quickly on the outside of the heels. I also have not had any significant pains or injuries, but I only get 120-150 miles out of a pair of shoes. I feel that a large part of my issue is weight related (not many shoe companies plan for a 250 lb runner).

@Ericsmi The significant wear on the New Balance shoe I attached was accumulated during April/May/June of this year when I was between 200-220 lbs. The wear on the Hoka's is within the last 30 days (current weight 180) and is not nearly as drastic. My Saucony Rides and Brooks Ghosts (more recent shoes also) have roughly 40 miles on each and don't have as much wear on them (same place just not nearly as worn). So there may be something to weight...

I am also considering it could be form breakdown late in a run - the Hoka's have seen 15 miles in the last two weeks in a 10k (mostly uphill) and 8 mile long easy run - my two longest - possible I do drag/shuffle a bit when tired... need to focus more on picking up knees/feet. Definitley going to look at some of what @Stoshew71 suggested above...

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Got a question for the folks who run more/better/have more experience than me. With my current 4/6/4/6/4/8-10 schedule of all easy z2 running, How frequently should I look at doing cutback weeks and, how about adding mileage. Just do a similar rotation of 2-3 weeks of running, then a cutback week then add mileage?

Also, while I'm at it, how much mileage to add when I get back to it? I was doing the 1 mile added for each day I run method before, but I'm always looking for new ideas.

I have a LONG time until HM training starts, but I also don't want to get bored with the routine, and I'm looking to be in the 40-45mpw range when I start up HM training in late Feb. Any suggestions/advice on how to shape things?

Sorry for the randomness, I just was typing stream of thought.

Your body should have the final decision. There really is no easy answer for cutbacks and how aggressive you can safely add miles each week. I personally plan a cutback week after 3 tough weeks (unless my body says I need one sooner) or if my schedule works out such that it would be wise to use a cutback week (i.e. some important event related or not related to running which will take up my time for that week).
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I seem to be done with early morning runs before work. I'll try to run at 7pm tonight. I set out my clothes and my alarm went off but my hubby wasn't up and was complaining he felt terrible and didn't know if he could go to work. My life feels very up-in-the-air right now. I have a hard time just saying "Oh, you feel like crap? Sorry. See ya in 90 mins after I warm up, run, cool down, stretch, foam roll and shower!" :-/ We're trying to decide right now if we're taking his Dr's suggestion and making a trip to the Mayo Clinic. Mostly hinging on insurance approval. I mean, we've decided we're going if insurance covers it. Just trying to work out the details. So I'm just trying to learn to balance taking care of myself and doing "this running thing" while my spouse is not well.

I hope things work out soon. My wife has multiple chronic illnesses, plus we have three kids. I know you feel bad about exercising when he doesn't feel well, but make sure to take care of yourself. Running (or other exercise) may be just what you need everyday to find the peace/strength/energy to manage it all. Just my $0.02.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate 4 pairs of shoes and a couple of them are starting to show significant wear on the outside heels. The blue image is my New Balance m880v6's - with about 60 miles on them. The other image is my Hoka One One Clifton 3's with about 50 miles on them. The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

Any thoughts on why my shoes might be wearing out on the heels that quickly?

@mmteixeira what is the drop on each of the four pair of shoes you rotate through. You should be able to Google it for each model. I get most of my wear in the same spot but I don't worry about it too much. My shoes are 10 and 11 mm drop, which is on the higher end. When I get through all the reserve shoes I have (2018 is my guess) I'm going to try lower drop shoes, the idea being that it will reduce the amount of material in that area giving me more even wear. My theory (or guess, if you will) is that the higher drop shoe puts more material in an area which is in the way of my natural stride and a lower drop will help that. I don't know that it will make a difference in anything, but that's what I plan to try next.

ETA: I looked up the two models you mentioned:
    New Balance m880v6 - 5mm drop
    Hoka One One Clifton 3 - 10mm drop

So, there goes my theory...

• 7lenny7
    Options

I'm from Rochester, MN and I used to work in the pharmacy for one of the Mayo Clinic hospitals. I cannot count the number of times I've heard stories from people how have "tried everything" with no success only to go to Mayo Clinic with positive results.

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance.......Type........How my legs are feeling

October 1 - 5.9 km - Easy - Niggle in left IT band
    October 2 - 11.9km - Easy - Calves a little tight, fine after warm-up
    October 3 - rest
    October 4 - 6.7 km - Tempo - Fine, no pains
    October 5 - 6.2 km - Easy - Fine, taper fine, wanna go fast
    October 6 - 7.0 km - Easy - Very fine
    October 7 - 5.0 km - Easy - Springy, rested legs
    October 8 - 5.0 km - Easy - Ready to race
    October 9 - 21.1km - Race - Dead legs are dead
    October 10- rest
    October 11- rest
    October 12- rest
    October 13- rest
    October 14- rest
    October 15- rest
    October 16- rest
    October 17- 6.1 km - Easy - Tight calves
    October 18- 8.0 km - Easy - Tight calves AND tight IT band, probably DOMS

Ticker seems broken, 78 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • greenolivetree
    edited October 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I'm from Rochester, MN and I used to work in the pharmacy for one of the Mayo Clinic hospitals. I cannot count the number of times I've heard stories from people how have "tried everything" with no success only to go to Mayo Clinic with positive results.

We went in '09 and got 7 years remission after that which has been great :) I've already been scoping out the trails around there. Funny because I never even noticed they had trails before. Granted, it was a difficult time, but exercise was the last thing on my mind regardless. I remember all the signs prompting people to take the stairs and thinking they were crazy and "Who does that sort of thing?" Bahaha! I also remember the well organized hospital pharmacy :)
    karllundy wrote: »

I hope things work out soon. My wife has multiple chronic illnesses, plus we have three kids. I know you feel bad about exercising when he doesn't feel well, but make sure to take care of yourself. Running (or other exercise) may be just what you need everyday to find the peace/strength/energy to manage it all. Just my $0.02.

Thank you :) I like to remind other people when they make lame excuses about not being able to exercise because of family obligations "You have to put your own oxygen mask on first" but during the past 5 years that I've been active he's been well (well for him, not well compared to normal people). I haven't had to do this with him missing work, being hospitalized, etc. He encouraged me Saturday to take my time and enjoy my run and is generally supportive. I just feel bad about mornings right now because sometimes I sleep through and I don't know how bad a night he's had. Or other times I've been up with him and am dragging in the morning. So I'm thankful weather has cooled off and evenings aren't as hot for running :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Wow, I can't remotely keep up with all of you. This is such a prolific group and huge runs everyone! As a new runner I'm just so impressed. Since I'm one of the older ones here I doubt I'll ever catch up to any of you but it's fun trying......LOL. My epiphany this morning while I was running was how easy it is to run a 5K whenever I want to now. Never imagined I'd feel like that!
    @luluinca I started to run in my 50s. I've done 3 HM, 1 15K, a few 10Ks, a couple 8Ks and bunches of 5Ks....never say never. :smile:
  • mmteixeira
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

@luluinca I felt the same way this past weekend at the completion of my long run for the week. I was amazed at how far I have come in 10 months - would never have believed it possible when I started in January. In my very late 40's here and have simply remained consistent running 3-4 times a week... it sounds like you are doing great and will catch up to us before you know it :)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate 4 pairs of shoes and a couple of them are starting to show significant wear on the outside heels. The blue image is my New Balance m880v6's - with about 60 miles on them. The other image is my Hoka One One Clifton 3's with about 50 miles on them. The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

Any thoughts on why my shoes might be wearing out on the heels that quickly?

What helped me most is a few things.

Back and hips straight. Stand tall. Imagine a hook on the very top of your head with string attached to it and someone just lifted you off the ground by that string with your legs just hanging straight down so your body is perfectly straight and aligned. Keeping your hips locked forward in that position now start running. Squeeze your glute muscles (imagine holding a quarter between your butt cheeks as you run). Keep your hips and knees relaxed. Then lean forward at the ankles (not the hips). When you land, land on the meaty portion just below your big toe and when you push off, use all of the meaty portion under all your toes and allow your heel to touch for a short bit.

There is a lot to think about, so just work on 1 or 2 of these at a time. Run slow paces so you can work on your technique.

Some videos that provide some visuals to what I am describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFatIwxSvQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEMRe7-Gils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgRH0f2umnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aXyCDjTxNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCZgInCBzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALiAFEpHp4
  • 7lenny7
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We went in '09 and got 7 years remission after that which has been great :) I've already been scoping out the trails around there.

You may have found these already:

Quarry Hill Park
    <- my old stomping grounds.

Chester Woods Park
    <- 15 miles of trails

You'll need transportation to those two spots but they're worth it. For something closer, paved, they have an extensive in-town trail system:

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/parks-trails/maps