• mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Here are the shoes I run in - what I use them for and their drops:

New Balance m880v6 - speed work - 5mm drop
    Hoka One One Clifton 3 - long runs - 10mm drop
    Saucony Ride 9 - all other runs - 8mm drop
    Brooks Ghost 9 - all other runs - 12mm drop

I tend to run in each pair once a week. In April, the New Balance were the first shoe I bought and I used that for 75% of my runs during April/May/June and for all races - so they accumulated 60 miles during those 3-4 months - which I don't believe is alot - but they wore out very quickly. Fleet Feet actually did replace them about a month ago with the same pair, which I now use only for speed work.

The Hoka's had been holding up pretty well until the last couple of weeks in which I ran two longer and harder runs - so it wouldn't be a shock that something in my form broke down - beginning to think it is related to that - gonna look over the videos @Stoshew71 provided above (thank you :) )
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I had bookmarked http://minneapolisrunning.com/five-places-to-run-in-rochester-minnesota/ and http://www.rochestermn.gov/home/showdocument?id=786 already but it's all so confusing when it's not your home area. I may be dreaming even thinking I'll get a chance to run but it's fun to at least dream :) Your fall pics were great btw. It's not really fall here yet.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I did the Beacon run one year, catching three Allman Brothers shows in a row, including a front row seat for one of them. What a blast!

OK! I am officially jealous now. lol

OK, can anyone say they saw Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Jeff Healy, and Stevie Ray in Alpine Valley the night before SRV died? My brother and I caught that show back in Aug '90. What a shock to wake up that Sunday morning to find out that Stevie just passed.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    So much to catch up on!! Read a few posts here and there, but my weekend was crazy busy, and work was so hectic yesterday.

My stupid hamstring has been acting up again, so I’ve been using the stationary bike instead of running. I’m so jealous of anyone and everyone I see running because that’s what I’d rather be doing. It doesn’t hurt to walk or cycle. If I wasn’t a runner, I wouldn’t even feel anything was wrong. So, I’m icing, stretching, and not running. It’s feeling pretty good today, so maybe tomorrow I’ll be back at it. If I am back running by the weekend, I think I’ll skip my long run, even though this is the weekend my marathon training is supposed to start. I’d rather go into it pain free.

On a good note, my knee scrapes are not bothering me. 2 of the 3 are scabbed up, but the biggest one is still an oozy mess. It doesn’t hurt in the shower though or when exercising unless something is rubbing on it.

exercise.png

10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better 
    10/4: Body Pump and 3 more slow miles
    10/5: 3.1 mile run / 1.7 mile Social run/walk through my gym with my kiddo
    10/6: Body Pump
    10/7: Yoga and Tried out my new Foam Roller
    10/8: 14 Miles (6 with Hubby running and Kiddo bicycling)
    10/9: 5 Miles
    10/10: 3 mile trail run with the family
    10/11: 7 minutes of Core, Body Pump, 30 minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/12: 4 Mile run turned into 1.87 after a huge wipeout
    10/13: 3 Mile Walk
    10/14: 3.1 Mile Run
    10/15: 10 Mile Run. Planned to go 12, but my hamstring started acting up around Mile 5. It didn’t hurt bad, but it wasn’t normal, so decided to cut my run short. 
    10/16: 45 Minutes of Stationary Bike
    10/17: 45 Minutes (12 Miles) of Stationary Bike

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I did the Beacon run one year, catching three Allman Brothers shows in a row, including a front row seat for one of them. What a blast!

OK! I am officially jealous now. lol

OK, can anyone say they saw Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Jeff Healy, and Stevie Ray in Alpine Valley the night before SRV died? My brother and I caught that show back in Aug '90. What a shock to wake up that Sunday morning to find out that Stevie just passed.

No, but I lived in Wisconsin back then. So unbelievable and so sad. :'(
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I forgot how good it feels to hurt after a run. And I do hurt. In a lot of places. And all I want to do is go for a short easy run. I'm settling for a good walk with the dog, but it's not the same.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I've seen Clapton and Bonnie Raitt. I was unable to go to Robert Cray this past summer, and I missed Jeff Healey and SRV before the passed. I certainly did not have the chance to see them in Alpine Valley (I do have a bootleg of SRV's set from that weekend) - I can officially say I am extremely jealous.

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Would have been jealous of that anyway, but the passing of SRV makes it way more so! Cray kept the blues going in public consciousness before SRV came along. Jeff Healy had serious chops, but most only know of his few soft rock/pop hits...he was a bluesman.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @mmteixeira

I'm a heal striker as well. I typically wear a structured shoe to help with my pronation. I've had training sessions with an elite runner to try and help with this issue but some people are just heal strikers. The more you can work on shortening your stride and increasing your cadence, the more likely you are to land with your forefoor under you. I wear the Adidas boost line of shoes that have just about the best cushioning around and I've remained relatively injury free for several years now with higher miles than most. Attached is a picture of a pair I retired at about 475 miles, as you can see I wear though the rubber completely into the foam. This is about what all my shoes look like once i'm done with them. Good high quality shoes should last 400-600 miles. The more abrasive surface you run on will wear them out faster as well. When I do a lot of indoor track work in the winter i'll get 600-700 miles out of a pair, when I run outdoors on the road it closer to 400-450.
    gwpcirlyytrn.jpg
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday!

I hope everyone who ran today had a good run, and everyone who hasn't run yet has a good run later. :smile:

I had my 5 mile treadmill run last night, so I didn't need a run this morning. I doubt I will be able to fit in another run this evening because I have an eye doctor appointment to go to (gotta get the peepers checked). If I wind up needing a new glasses prescription I'm going to look into a pair of good sport sunglasses as well for running.

I find that the "high" I get from running (meaning, the way it suppresses my anxiety and depression) lasts about 24 hours or so after a run. It's definitely a drug for me now, or rather, an additional way I treat my mental illnesses. I'll be raring to go running again first thing tomorrow morning, I'm sure. Gotta keep the crankiness away.

My only concern is, I have kind of an addictive personality, so I can totally see myself getting addicted to running. It's already happening to a degree. Is that a bad thing?
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 2.08 Easy
    10/4 - 4.0 Easy Track AM
    10/4 - 2.04 XC Indian Run PM
    10/5 - 7.18 Easy W/ 2 @ MP
    10/6 - 5.13 Easy
    10/7 - 5.25 Easy
    10/9 - 26.53 Prairie Fire Marathon
    10/10 - 1.12 Super Easy
    10/11 - 3.31 Recovery
    10/14 - 2.0 Treadmill - Strength Training Warmup
    10/15 - 5.02 Easy
    10/18 - 7.02 Easy

Total 70.68 of 140 Miles

Ended up skipping my long run Sunday as the legs still didn't feel 100%, and playing Legos with my kids all day just seemed like a better use of my time. I officially ended my "See Food" diet yesterday since it's time to start ramping up some miles for a few races I'd like to do, and I had gained about 5 lbs post marathon, lots of beer and pizza. Today's run was good, the legs still are a tad tight but loosened up a couple miles in. Hope to get 5-7 in every day this week then see how Sunday looks to start back with a long run.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

@7lenny7 Love the pics!

@lporter229 Great job on a new PR!! So happy for you, and I loved the race report.

@kristinegift Sorry your race didn’t go as planned, but 1:42:24 is still a great time…especially dealing with side stitches and lots of elevation gain on the back end of the race. Loved the pic!!

Thanks for the links about books/running articles/websites @shanaber and @Stoshew71! Very helpful! I just finished reading Born to Run, and I really enjoyed it. I plan to get Eat and Run next.

@louubelle16 Sure hope you feel better soon. There are lots of stomach bugs going around here.

@Naija82 Hope your knee starts feeling better.

Loved the pics!! @mmteixeira @_nikkiwolf_ @7lenny7
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I hope everyone who ran today had a good run, and everyone who hasn't run yet has a good run later. :smile:

I had my 5 mile treadmill run last night, so I didn't need a run this morning. I doubt I will be able to fit in another run this evening because I have an eye doctor appointment to go to (gotta get the peepers checked). If I wind up needing a new glasses prescription I'm going to look into a pair of good sport sunglasses as well for running.

I find that the "high" I get from running (meaning, the way it suppresses my anxiety and depression) lasts about 24 hours or so after a run. It's definitely a drug for me now, or rather, an additional way I treat my mental illnesses. I'll be raring to go running again first thing tomorrow morning, I'm sure. Gotta keep the crankiness away.

My only concern is, I have kind of an addictive personality, so I can totally see myself getting addicted to running. It's already happening to a degree. Is that a bad thing?

You really need help. It's only gonna get worse. Remember, the first step is to admit that you have a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NwHNHNXsg0
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Lots of good runs so far this week and some lovely pics as well!

Today's run was good, nothing like a run to improve a low mood

1/Oct - 8.82 miles
    2/Oct - 1.58 miles
    3/Oct - 5.01 miles
    4/Oct - 7.18 miles
    5/Oct - 5.02 miles
    6/Oct - 3.30 miles
    7/Oct - 1.27 miles
    8/Oct - 2.05 miles
    9/Oct - Oxford Half Marathon
    10/Oct - 1.64 miles
    11/Oct - 5.05 miles
    12/Oct - 8.06 miles
    13/Oct - 4.04 miles
    14/Oct - 5.14 miles
    15/Oct - 13.16 miles
    16/Oct - 2.99 miles
    17/Oct - 1.68 miles
    18/Oct - 10.02 miles

exercise.png
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Running is my drug too! Was in a really low mood this morning (started in the night) and felt so much better after I had gone for a run.

I'm the poster child for an addictive personality, lol before my long break from runner people called me an addict, as long as I wasn't running to the point of injury or it was having an negative impact on other parts of my life I wouldn't consider it a bad thing. Also my addictive type behaviour means I don't miss my runs :-)
  • amy1810
    amy1810 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Make sure you keep it in check.
    I have a very similar personality type and the "addiction" led to me running in excess of 30km per day every day. Because like all "drugs" if you overuse it your body will adjust and you will need more and more of an endorphin hit to curb your anxiety and depression.
    It led to a myriad of health ramifications for me that were not at all fun.
    I still LOVE my running but I try to also compliment it with strength/weight training and yoga and pilates.
    Enjoy your running and definitely use it as one way to combat anxiety but incorporate other strategies too!
  • amy1810
    amy1810 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I'm a bit late but so far this month
    I have run 201km (124 miles)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - 'hello my name is Shana and I am addicted to running' - welcome to our group :laugh: Actually unless you do let it get out of control to where you put your body at risk I think you should be fine. I feel like a lot of us here feel that 'addiction' too because of the reasons you mention - it feels great, it takes away the stress and keeps us from being cranky. I also don't think many of us have the kind of time in our lives that would allow us to run to the point of injury.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk
    7---0.6 walk
    8---rest
    9---state fair walk, 1+ miles
    10---3.36
    11---pt appointment
    12---sore/rest
    13---35 minutes bike trainer/2.45 TM walk/few weights
    14---4.4 walk
    15---4.8 walk
    16---2 poké walk
    17---2.1 Robbers Cave hike.
    18---5.1 Rough Canyon hike

40.32/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered) DNF

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half