My job prevents opportunities.

Options

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My friend was doing a Jillian Michaels video and her two-year-old daughter was having an absolute blast trying to follow along with her. Maybe you could try something like that?
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your child needs to learn how to self-play as well as having parents to play with - working out only takes 10 min a day, wouldn't it be good for him to learn to self-play for 10 min a day while you workout? Plus, what a great example to set for him so when he is grown he recognizes that it's important for him to look after his health by exercising.

I agree with this.

Can you budget to get the equipment to do the type of exercise you want to do at home? This could help both you and your wife. It cuts out the getting to and from the gym time. Plus your child will see you working out, which is you setting a good example.

I can afford it, but don't have the extra space at the moment. Working on fixing that now.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

One thing is for certain, you'll have to fix the toddler's sleeping schedule within the next 3 years for school. That may help, but I wouldn't want to work out before bed, there's no way I could sleep after all that. But maybe at that point you can get to bed earlier. My kids are all raised, so that's a big plus on my end of things, as well as the 40 hour work week. If you can find even 30 minutes in the mornings to work out you'll be much happier with your results, and it really helps to kick start your metabolism for the day.

I work a sales job I get a 30 minute break so I can't really get too sweaty. Morning exercise would be best. Ill have to get up around 6-6:30 cause my son wakes up at 7am on the dot without fail everyday.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

One thing is for certain, you'll have to fix the toddler's sleeping schedule within the next 3 years for school. That may help, but I wouldn't want to work out before bed, there's no way I could sleep after all that. But maybe at that point you can get to bed earlier. My kids are all raised, so that's a big plus on my end of things, as well as the 40 hour work week. If you can find even 30 minutes in the mornings to work out you'll be much happier with your results, and it really helps to kick start your metabolism for the day.

I work a sales job I get a 30 minute break so I can't really get too sweaty. Morning exercise would be best. Ill have to get up around 6-6:30 cause my son wakes up at 7am on the dot without fail everyday.

I don't advocate people spending a lot of money on equipment, especially if they have a good gym around, but I purchased a Bowflex Max trainer for similar reasons (time) a couple of years ago. It has a 14 minute program, and when you work up to a higher resistance you can burn between 200-250 calories in that 14 minutes. Just don't fall for the hype, it's going to take more than 3x a week if that's all you are doing, but it's a tough workout, probably the toughest I've ever done. They gave me interest free payments, so around $120 a month for 12 months I think (can't remember completely) for the mid-line version M5. It's a cross between a stair stepper and elliptical, takes up very little space and has a two year warranty (the M5 anyway). Just a thought. I ended up finding plenty of time for workouts after I purchased it by adjusting my sleep schedule but I still use it several times a week, and in the winter when I can't go outside to walk/run. I do more than the 14 min program, and usually go for 30 minutes on mine for a 500 cal burn. I'm sure some cheaper elliptical would also be an option, or maybe a treadmill or stationary bike. Maybe a good piece of equipment would help? Give yourself at least 15-30 minutes to wake up before exercising. I, personally use that time to go to the restroom, drink some coffee or a pre-workout, then work out 30 minutes after stepping out of bed. Gives your body time to wake up a bit. Might take you a while to get the logistics worked out but if you can do it, you'll be happier. I certainly am.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Your child needs to learn how to self-play as well as having parents to play with - working out only takes 10 min a day, wouldn't it be good for him to learn to self-play for 10 min a day while you workout? Plus, what a great example to set for him so when he is grown he recognizes that it's important for him to look after his health by exercising.

I guess I just feel guilty for being gone so much. 10 min shouldn't kill him. Thanks for that :)

Don't feel guilty- yes you are gone but you are gone for work, five days a week like many people. And you aren't leaving him with wolves, you are leaving him with grandma! I would second putting him a a jogging stroller and going for a jog- or plop him in his play pen and do w quick work out. You may be surprised that he will watch you and then try and imitate what you are doing!

Also, there are low burn things you can do at work that won't get you sweaty- well, won't get me sweaty- like walk up and down the stairs a few times.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

I guess I just feel guilty for being gone so much. 10 min shouldn't kill him. Thanks for that :)

Don't feel guilty- yes you are gone but you are gone for work, five days a week like many people. And you aren't leaving him with wolves, you are leaving him with grandma! I would second putting him a a jogging stroller and going for a jog- or plop him in his play pen and do w quick work out. You may be surprised that he will watch you and then try and imitate what you are doing!

Also, there are low burn things you can do at work that won't get you sweaty- well, won't get me sweaty- like walk up and down the stairs a few times.

I sweat super easy. I try to limit my movement when all dressed lol
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Weekends? Lunch breaks? Get up half an hour earlier in the AM?

If it's a priority you'll find time for it............

I'm just starting again, so I am making it a main priority of mine. Really just needed to hear other people to tell me to stop making excuses. :D

Oi Tony, off backside, do squats! Bairn is no excuse. Get a buggy good for doing walks/runs and take miniture out with you, age of said bairn is no excuse either. Work out at lunch, you only need 30 mins for a good work out 15 to change and 15 for shower and get food to eat at desk (assuming you're not a lab tech or something).

You could also try using bairn as a weight? ;) kettlebell swings or similar? i'm sure that would work :P

squats, lunges, countertop pushups, sliding pikes etc while waiting for kettle to boil, formula to heat etc etc.. no excuses lazy-boy.

good luck !
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i second whomever said to do a workout video with your kid. when my son was 2, he used to love trying to yoga or other workout videos (fitness blender is great) with me. even if you only get his attention for 5-10 minutes during it, at least it's something!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of great workout videos. You could also try T25, the workout is 25 minutes, with the cooldown it comes to about 27-28 minutes. No equipment is needed. You could do it in the morning, and then shower and be ready for him to wake up at 7am. Or do it once he falls asleep and be in bed by 12:30am.

For lunch, eat for 15 minutes and then for a 15 minute walk.

Play around with a little bit. You'll find a balance.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Honestly, I just needed to hear it from somebody other than myself that I can do it. I have faith that I will make a change for the better and find the balance that my life needs. B)
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I hope things get easier. There are tons of free workouts online that are 10 minutes or less that will kick your butt and don't need equipment. Good luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Did early morning workouts on 6 hours of sleep for 20 years while my kids were growing up. You can get used to it
  • lazysquirrell
    lazysquirrell Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why don't you take baby steps? Pick a night on week days and take your kid (and wife?) out for a walk for, I dont know, 30 minutes for starters. During your lunch break at work, take a step outside and aim for 200 steps. Take your kid to an activity on saturdays? Maybe there is a coffee shop nearby where you can get coffee from? You can get off your shuttle/bus/car near that place in the mornings and walk to work with your delicious coffee!
    It doesnt have to be all or none. Life is not all black or white. Enjoy the many shades of gray :P
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Why don't you take baby steps? Pick a night on week days and take your kid (and wife?) out for a walk for, I dont know, 30 minutes for starters. During your lunch break at work, take a step outside and aim for 200 steps. Take your kid to an activity on saturdays? Maybe there is a coffee shop nearby where you can get coffee from? You can get off your shuttle/bus/car near that place in the mornings and walk to work with your delicious coffee!
    It doesnt have to be all or none. Life is not all black or white. Enjoy the many shades of gray :P

Kinda live just outside of the suburbs not to much within walking distance. Going to start tonight with a 3 mile walk/jog. 5min walking 2min Jogging.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Kinda live just outside of the suburbs not to much within walking distance. Going to start tonight with a 3 mile walk/jog. 5min walking 2min Jogging.

I recommend downloading couch to 5k (C25K). It will help you ease into jogging/running if that's what you want to do.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was asked, but does the gym you want to go to provide daycare during the hours you can go? You child might enjoy playing around with other kids, and you get to do your workout. Plus, your child will see you going to the gym and set a good example. Also, I agree with everyone else that posted about You Are Your Own Gym and doing videos with you child.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Do you swim?
    Sign the little one up for swimming lessons and get in some lengths while he/she is having the lesson.
    You will probably have to do the intro as a parent and child class.

Check for a gym that offers day care or child and parent classes.

I got my first lifting in with my 2 yo grandson. The interactions mentioned in a post above- child chest press, overhead press, leg raises, planks, drop push-ups, squats, lunges, twists etc are all good and doable. He is 6 now so some of those moves have stopped, but I got a natural progression from them.

Look at Nerdfitness for a simple bodyweight programme.

Cheers, h.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Exercise before work or during your lunch. If it's a priority to you then you'll find a way to fit it in several days per week. I often work longer hours than you and usually work on the weekends too, and I exercise 5-6 days per week.
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just need to work out some scheduling. One activity that allowed me a great workout and my kids loved was when I put them in the bike trailer and rode all around on my bike. I would find the trails and ride to a local park, or to our city's big park(about 4 km one way) where there were animals for the kids to look at and swings to play on. I often took snacks or lunch and we'd have a picnic. So fun and beneficial for all. I was never a fan of taking my kids to the gym babysitting service. When you are adjusting to being a parent, sometimes it's just a matter of changing your approach. I don't know where you live, but dragging a sled up a hill in the winter is a darn good workout too. There are restrictions of personal time when parenting, but there are lots of opportunities to incorporate exercise into all of the fun experiences you can have as a family. Just food for thought.