Abdominal/pelvic ultrasound...

Options
highwood1968
highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
anybody have one of these? I don't really need one but I was commenting to my doctor about a few people I know who passed away of cancer and there were no signs/symptoms, etc. and she said well if you want peace of mind, while getting your yearly mammogram they can also do an ultrasound looking at your liver, ovaries, etc.

A part of me is kind of freaked out thinking what if they find something? I should say I have no symptoms/issues, etc. so would you bother with it??

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I won't even get a mammogram, there's no way I'm opting for other additional testing.
  • highwood1968
    Options
    I am curious why no mammogram? I should add that I am in Canada and there is no charge for any of this as it is part of our universal health care system.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    So freak out if you don't do it or freak out if they find something. I guess it is a personal decision you will have to make. If it wasn't an issue why did you bring it up to the doctor. They are only trying to CYA because if they turned you down like most patients this would be a complaint post about them rejecting your concern. Its not a big deal test. Doesn't hurt and for me I would rather find something before I had symptoms.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I just had a scan, its an ultrasound of your abdomen, Have not got the results yet, but yea its kind of freeky and scary, just encase they find anything. Luckily the lady doing the scan was nice, and commented on all the organs, and said there was nothing out of the ordinary, all looked ok. Its still up to the doctors, though.
  • highwood1968
    Options
    I brought it up because I was mentioning to her about a couple of people I know in the last six months that had cancer and had no symptoms prior and within a month or two they passed away and she said well if you are interested you can do this abdominal ultrasound....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have an ultrasound than a mammogram.
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    Just do it, if your worried about it, that way if they do find something, they can catch it early and hopefully fix it. Peace of mind.
  • highwood1968
    Options
    I know PowerMan40, it is like it will give you some kind of peace of mind but at the same time what if they actually find something..but then it is like well that is why you are doing this because if something is happening better to find out when you are healthy/symptom free than down the road.

How long did it take? They said to eat a lower fat meal the day before and drink lots of water...
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had several of these done (due to gynecological issues), and it really isn't a big deal. One word of warning - make sure to drink a lot of liquid within 20-30 minutes prior to the test. They once told me to do it starting an hour before, and I ended up not making it through the test.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Because there is a much higher chance of survival rate and successful treatment if some cancers are caught early.

Very likely the reason these people you know passed away from cancer because it was caught way too late.

That's why you do screenings. To catch things early.

So if they find something... that means you begin treatment. If you DON'T do the screening and there happens to be something there - that means the cancer grows unchecked and your chances for survival shrink.

• highwood1968
    Options
    I have been going for mammograms yearly since I turned 40, no breast cancer in the family, but at the xray place they said that 60% of breast cancers of women in their 40s in our province, there was no family history. I don't enjoy those either...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Because there is a much higher chance of survival rate and successful treatment if some cancers are caught early.

Very likely the reason these people you know passed away from cancer because it was caught way too late.

That's why you do screenings. To catch things early.

So if they find something... that means you begin treatment. If you DON'T do the screening and there happens to be something there - that means the cancer grows unchecked and your chances for survival shrink.

This
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I had some done after I ended up at the ER because of ovarian cysts. The only annoying thing about them really is that you need to drink a lot of water and it can get uncomfortable really fast. It's it covered by your insurance, why not?

I haven't done mammograms yet, but I'm still under 40.
  • highwood1968
    Options
    Yes that lady that passed away with ovarian cancer she seemed healthy and then within a month of diagnosis she was gone...treatment was not even done it was so far gone. It kind of freaked me out because she was healthy, she exercised, and she had just gone for a yearly physical about 4 months before....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes that lady that passed away with ovarian cancer she seemed healthy and then within a month of diagnosis she was gone...treatment was not even done it was so far gone. It kind of freaked me out because she was healthy, she exercised, and she had just gone for a yearly physical about 4 months before....

Maybe speak to someone about this fear?
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    I know PowerMan40, it is like it will give you some kind of peace of mind but at the same time what if they actually find something..but then it is like well that is why you are doing this because if something is happening better to find out when you are healthy/symptom free than down the road.

How long did it take? They said to eat a lower fat meal the day before and drink lots of water...

about 40 min, but I had to fast because they wanted to see my gallbladder, but I would just follow doc orders, its really not that bad other than the gooy slime gel they put on you to make the ultrasound work.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    If you can, get the test done. You will either come out from it with your mind eased or a plan of action.

I had a mammogram done a when I was 29 (my paranoid mother insisted), it was clear, but protocol is to also do a sonogram. The tech found a lump the size of a grape (fibroadenoma), deep inside my breast - not visible on the mammogram. The following week, I went to a surgeon, she did a biopsy and determined within a few days that it was benign...no worries. Now I have a baseline to compare for the future.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The sad fact of life is that we're all going to die of something. Not to be a Debbie Downer but you can't live your life in fear. You just do the best you can and try to stay as healthy as possible. That means being aware of your family history and getting regular screenings and checkups.

I have a family history of colon cancer. The medical community recommends regular screenings starting at age 50. Due to my history, I started them on my own at age 35. Of course, I had to pay out of pocket but the peace of mind was worth it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I've had pelvic ultrasounds before and they're absolutely no big deal.

I've suffered from endometriosis, ovarian cysts and polyps since I hit puberty so I've had probably dozens of them.
  • highwood1968
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    The sad fact of life is that we're all going to die of something. Not to be a Debbie Downer but you can't live your life in fear. You just do the best you can and try to stay as healthy as possible. That means being aware of your family history and getting regular screenings and checkups.

I have a family history of colon cancer. The medical community recommends regular screenings starting at age 50. Due to my history, I started them on my own at age 35. Of course, I had to pay out of pocket but the peace of mind was worth it.

Yes the dr. was saying that with a family history of colon cancer that they generally start testing about 10 years prior to when the family member was diagnosed.