Caramel M&M's - a gamechanger?

Options
richln
richln Posts: 809 Member
Normally I am not a big fan of candy, but if I am going to have some then I probably go for plain M&M's, Ghiradelli caramel chocolates, rolos, or a 100 grand bar. Something about the chocolate and caramel speaks out to me. If these are as good as I am imagining them to be in my head, I may just have to realign my macros accordingly.

http://people.com/food/caramel-mms-new-flavor-release-date/

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OMG, now you did it!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I need Booterschotch before I pick these up
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What took them so long?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is dangerous...I hope they don't come out in Canada, because then it's game over for me but then again, I hope they do...
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Love chocolate and caramel! It's my all time favorite. I haven't seen caramel M&M's yet but I will have to try them when I do.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    gack!! burnt sugar (i.e. caramel) has no appeal to me at all.
  • NanCaudill
    NanCaudill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    its the debil
  • romantictuna
    romantictuna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike caramel, but have grown to like them in the past few years.. a little too much actually. Those look yummy <3
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    (non-milk) chocolate actually has medicinal properties. carmel? not so much
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Almost all chocolate in the States has butyric acid (look it up) either added or created as part of the process.
    It tastes really bad to me.
    But wait, it gets better...
    Several manufacturers (including Hershey, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland...) even pushed the FDA to allow the use of vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter in "chocolate candy".
    Read the labels. If it doesn't say cocoa butter then you are eating cooking oil with sugar added.

So if I am going to indulge, I spend a little extra money (50 cents? $1?) and get real chocolate in the 72% cacao range from somewhere overseas.
    Like @Raptor2763 says, I can at least claim some "health benefits" ;)

I never liked "dark chocolate" when I was young because I only tried the vomit-flavored (really, look it up) stuff from Hershey's.
    After having the good stuff, I realize why many people like "dark chocolate".
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, M&Ms experimented with dulce de leche as a filling. It was really, really good as a counterpoint to the chocolate and candy, and I was lucky enough to live in one of their test market areas. I hope that plain caramel is as good.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,597 Member
    Options
    Why are they making us wait until May 2017???? I need them now!!
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Well. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. Thank you.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    What took them so long?

I know, right?
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    They've had Dulce de Leche M&M's at least since I was in high school (2000-ish) but I know it is only in certain markets (This was in Los Angeles and I found them a few times in Miami). I haven't seen them in a while, but remember they were delicious. I wish they'd just bring those back!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    oh crap, that is going to be hard to resist
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Almost all chocolate in the States has butyric acid (look it up) either added or created as part of the process.
    Several manufacturers (including Hershey, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland...) even pushed the FDA to allow the use of vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter in "chocolate candy".
    Read the labels. If it doesn't say cocoa butter then you are eating cooking oil with sugar added.

So if I am going to indulge, I spend a little extra money (50 cents? $1?) and get real chocolate in the 72% cacao range from somewhere overseas.

I never liked "dark chocolate" when I was young because I only tried the vomit-flavored (really, look it up) stuff from Hershey's.

You can claim to be a hyper-palated clean chocolate connoisseur, but I know that both you and Raptor will secretly try them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    going aginst the flow here.

I dont much like caramel things, too sickly sweet to me

Will stick to original M+M's myself- which I do enjoy as an occasional treat.

But all you caramel lovers - enjoy!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

I've had gourmet chocolate and I've had Hershey's.

I enjoy them both.

I can detect the butyric acid in a plain Hershey bar, but it isn't overwhelming enough to bother me. If it's paired with other things (like caramel, omg), I can't taste it at all.

Butyric acid is present in butter and parmesan cheese. I love butter. I love parmesan cheese. And I love good ol' inferior American chocolate.