heartburn...

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was able to get in on a cancellation (and favor to my mom) to an DO tomorrow and she's starting with the food allergy test. Which is something I wanted for a longtime.

Good job! I hope you find out what's going on. Please keep us posted. :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What is the magic cure? I'm eating healthy, but everything causes it.
    I go through this everything few months; to the point that I wake up with it.
    Even water causes it. I've tried Zantac, Tums, Pepcid...

They help but not long lasting.

Digestive Enzymes. If you pay attention and notice that fats cause heartburn more the carbs or proteins then make sure it has ox bile in it. A lot of people do not digest their food well. This can cause heartburn. Food allergies can also cause heartburn. It can take up to two enzyme capsules per meal to keep heartburn from happening (it can also take a week or so of taking them for the heartburn to not recur). Eventually, your body will work its way through it after having enzymes for awhile and will start making more of its own. How long that takes depends how bad it is to start with. I have one child that started out on 6 enzymes a day (two per meal) and 7 years later can get by with one a day. I have another that started out with one per meal and in just a couple years has never needed them again (they were used for chronic constipation for her). So it's very individual. But, they're easy to try and most people can find good ones local to them.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    You probably have acid reflux. Its genetic. For sleeping, I would recommend you to sleep on your left side, this will help reduce the heart burn.

As for food, well, no deep fries. Coffee also triggers it. Make sure you don't drink acidic drinks, nor carbonated stuff. As others mentioned make sure you see your doctor about it. You might need an Endoscopy to see whats going on.
  • kavin_ni
    kavin_ni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend you talk to a doctor about it. What worked for me is exactly pills; I tend be extremely skeptical of naturopathic stuff that is being pushed around the web. I had REALLY BAD heartburn starting July last year that almost knocked me out of work and caused some esophageal bleeding. I had to take a proton pump inhibitor to ward off the worst of it and gradually started to lessen the dose. Afterwards I switched to a H2 antagonist and gradually started weaning it off.

Avoiding to eat certain foods (citrus fruits, chocolate, onions, etc) can prevent the reflux from happening, but once the acid kicks in medication is needed.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kavin_ni wrote: »
    I strongly recommend you talk to a doctor about it. What worked for me is exactly pills; I tend be extremely skeptical of naturopathic stuff that is being pushed around the web. I had REALLY BAD heartburn starting July last year that almost knocked me out of work and caused some esophageal bleeding. I had to take a proton pump inhibitor to ward off the worst of it and gradually started to lessen the dose. Afterwards I switched to a H2 antagonist and gradually started weaning it off.

Avoiding to eat certain foods (citrus fruits, chocolate, onions, etc) can prevent the reflux from happening, but once the acid kicks in medication is needed.

You realize the OP has a doctor app tomorrow, right?
  • kavin_ni
    kavin_ni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

You realize the OP has a doctor app tomorrow, right?

Yes.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted OP. I had terrible reflux until I started eating less and lost weight here. I also eat my last food earlier (at least 2 hours before bed) and it seems to help a lot.
  • lilheidi76
    lilheidi76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing heartburn along with other symptoms such as nausea, bloating, pain in my chest and at times my back. After visiting my doctor mine ended up being diagnosed as a hiatal hernia aswell as h pylori bacteria which is a cause of stomach ulcers. I'm still experiencing some symptoms but am definitely managing it much better knowing what is causing it. I hope you get some answers from your doctor and have some relief soon.
  • danielle0400
    danielle0400 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tracking my food obviously helps, but there doesn't seem to be a huge common demonator. Fatty and fried foods don't really bug me, sour candy and lemon juice do it at time, carbs are the same. So confusing. Either way, I'm trying to follow more of the fodmap guidelines.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I developed heartburn like this last year as well (after getting to my goal weight, ironically enough). The first recommendation is to avoid the foods that cause it, but like you, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. It wasn't like I'd eat/drink something and immediately get heartburn (except for very few exceptions, usually drinks). I actually cut out every single thing on the heartburn list that I actually consume (booze, coffee, chocolate, marinara sauce, fried foods, etc.) and decreased my fat intake. I still got heartburn. I really wanted to avoid medication, but the OTC prilosec (where you take a dose a day for 2 weeks and it's good for 4 months) is what worked for me.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing but it's like acid reflex problems, I even feel it after a salad. I don't eat red meat and reduced the amount of meat which helps. Eating earlier helped me because it digested easier and I try to eat light at night if I can. Another thing is probiotics like yogurt and fruit or veggies which helps you use the bathroom and lets everything pass. If none of these cut it, see a doctor.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    I developed heartburn like this last year as well (after getting to my goal weight, ironically enough). The first recommendation is to avoid the foods that cause it, but like you, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. It wasn't like I'd eat/drink something and immediately get heartburn (except for very few exceptions, usually drinks). I actually cut out every single thing on the heartburn list that I actually consume (booze, coffee, chocolate, marinara sauce, fried foods, etc.) and decreased my fat intake. I still got heartburn. I really wanted to avoid medication, but the OTC prilosec (where you take a dose a day for 2 weeks and it's good for 4 months) is what worked for me.

I really need to look into Prilosec... I'll see how today goes! It's such a pain! Literally and figuratively!
  • danielle0400
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    During your doctor work-up, did you have just bloodwork done? Did you have any x-rays or GI tract testing done? The reason I ask is that, as someone with inflammatory bowel disease (in remission), I had similar symptoms to yours for about 5 years before it finally got worse. For those 5 years, there was no rhyme or reason ... .

I haven't gone that far yet. Figured I'd do fodmap for a while (which helped), then go from there. I'm hoping the results from the food allergy test shed some insight as well.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else done this test?

I had a full allergy work up years ago. I had blood drawn and they also pricked me with items on my back to check for reactions. I was having a variety of auto immune issues. A previously undiagnosed wheat and dust allergy were discovered. I had a few appointments though so it wasnt a one shot deal.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Has anyone else done this test?

I had a full allergy work up years ago. I had blood drawn and they also pricked me with items on my back to check for reactions. I was having a variety of auto immune issues. A previously undiagnosed wheat and dust allergy were discovered. I had a few appointments though so it wasnt a one shot deal.

Did you stop eating wheat after that? Notice any differences, if so?
  • danielle0400
    Options
    Had the test done yesterday, results in a few weeks..
    She was very informative and said that my bowels were farely backed up, which was a surprise to me. This in turn was likely where a lot of my heartburn was coming from. Changed up a few things, added some good gut meds, and working forward!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    So good to hear back from you! I'm glad the visit with the doctor went well and you have some information to work with while you're waiting for the test results.
  • RobynTheresa
    RobynTheresa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sorry I missed the OP's second post that she had been to a Dr. But heartburn that doesn't respond well to OTC medication is serious, imo. It can lead to serious trouble. Just my experience.

Ageee. Refereal to a gastroenterologist nay be best option and endoscopy. Heartburn is not to be treated lightly. Another here with experience.
  • danielle0400
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sorry I missed the OP's second post that she had been to a Dr. But heartburn that doesn't respond well to OTC medication is serious, imo. It can lead to serious trouble. Just my experience.

Ageee. Refereal to a gastroenterologist nay be best option and endoscopy. Heartburn is not to be treated lightly. Another here with experience.

Thanks. I'm going to work on her digestion suggestions until we have the results and go from there.. they have already helped a lot!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    During your doctor work-up, did you have just bloodwork done? Did you have any x-rays or GI tract testing done? The reason I ask is that, as someone with inflammatory bowel disease (in remission), I had similar symptoms to yours for about 5 years before it finally got worse. For those 5 years, there was no rhyme or reason ... .

I haven't gone that far yet. Figured I'd do fodmap for a while (which helped), then go from there. I'm hoping the results from the food allergy test shed some insight as well.

I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian to help you with that because it's not just about following the FODMAP diet. You follow it for a prescribed amount of time then start adding foods back in in a certain sequence.