Healthy snack ideas

Options
:ohwell:
Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for healthy snacks? Today I had major cravings for oh, pretty much everything I'm trying to stay away from..almost like withdrawal symptoms..I need to be able to prepare something in the evening when I get one of those cravings....I do like to make popcorn but is there any kind of topping ideas for this...actually any ideas to do with any snack will do...lol

Replies

• ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Here are some of my favorite snacks...

hard boiled egg
    laughing cow light cheese wedge (35 cals)
    cucumber slices (dip into the cheese wedge!)
    Fiber One 90 calorie bars
    Instant Breakfast sugar-free, with 1 cup unsweetened almond milke (100 cals total)
    fruit
    Fit & Active carb control yogurt (45 cals)
    sauteed veggies
    steamed spinach
    salad with salsa as dresing
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks with hummus (2 tbs = 70 cals, plus however many carrots you have)

America's Choice junior sugar-free ice pops = 20 cals

Fruit!
  • prestofitness
    Options
    Since you like popcorn, get the Smart Pop option and as far as seasoning, I know a brand called Land O Lakes Seasoning that makes tasty flavors like parmesan & herb, sharp cheddar, sour cream & onion, ranch, butter, etc etc that are 5 calories per 1/2 tsp (sodium 170 mg)

Other snack options:
    Pistachios
    Almonds
    Planters Nut-rition Mixes
    Oroweat 80 calorie breads w/ turkey
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Can of tuna w/ salsa
    Mini Carrots (low in calories per serving, high fiber)
    Edamame
    Lentils
    Fruits (not too late at night though because of the sugars) w/ cottage cheese
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Fiber One 80 calorie Honey Squares cereal w/ low-fat, fat free, or soy milk
    Yogurt (no high fructose corn syrup) w/ granola
    Eating Right 10 calorie jello cups
    Eating Right 60 calorie chocolate & vanilla puddings
    Oatmeal w/ cinnamon
    Beef Jerky
    Organic pita chips
    Veggie chips
    Hard boiled eggs (1 yolk every 3 eggs)

Hope this helps w/ the cravings ;)

Like they say, "Eat for performance, not for pleasure!"
  • alannajames
    Options
    I like to make a cup of hot cocoa when i am having a sweets craving. I use 1 cup of the 60 cal almond milk, 1 tsp cocoa powder, splenda, and a little bit of vanilla. It's so rich it instantly curbs my craving before it gets out of control, but at under 100 calories it is totally guilt free!
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Yum that hot cocoa sounds delish!! I normally just use a packet of the 20 calorie fat free hot cocoa...I believe Carnation makes it...but I will DEFINITELY try this...I LOVE my almond milk!!
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can try making Roasted Chickpeas...I found a recipe on (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com)...they are a great snack when you are craving something to munch on & you can make them either salty or sweet or both depending on what you want at that moment!! Also on this site I saw some other things like microwave potato chips and kale chips :)
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    At work right now. I have a popcorn snack from a diabetes book that my husband just loves. Will send later.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Popcorn toppings for 8 cups air-popped popcorn plus 2 cups small shredded wheat cereal and 1 cup broken pretzels

1. 3 tblsp melted soft margarine or butter
    2 tblsp grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Combine everything in a plastic bag or large bowl to mix, Spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 275 F (140 C) for about 30-35 mins or until golden brown and crispy. You can cool it and store it in an airtight container.

2. instead of garlic and chili powder use: - Sweeter? cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (mix and match to your taste)
    - Like it hot? dry mustard, hot pepper sauce, and paprika
    - Italian style? oregano, basil and garlic powder

This recipe can be mixed up however you like. The basic calories for 1 cup are 113, 17 g carb, 2 g fibre, 3 g protein, 4 g fat, 1 g sat, 207 mg sodium. It takes about 10 mins to prep, makes about 11 servings.

Your calories will change depending on what types of cereal and pretzels etc. that you use
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    that sounds great!
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Spicy usually does it for me. I love salsa when I need snacks. Oher than that I do boiled eggs, pistachios, or peanut butter/celery. Or I roam the message boards for ideas ;-D
  • pernodmeowster
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips and recipes! I t hink a lot of you live in the US or other countries as a lot of the brands you mention we don't have here in sunny ireland...:-) however, me and my boyfriend went out last night to buy dinner and I decided to buy a small thing of Nandos - Peri-Peri chip sprinkle..it even said on the pack you can use it on popcorn so I sprinkled some on popcorn I made last night and it was yummy..my bf wasn't too keen but I liked it...I still want to try the Rachel Ray 5 spice recipe....I love peanut butter so might stock up on some celery and some peanut butter but it's just so fattening!
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @prestofitness,

do you mix salsa with tuna instead of like a lf mayo? i have never heard of that. very interesting!