Strength training - bulky?

Options
2»

Replies

• grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    agree . . . you'll see it coming in time to stop it, if that's what you want to do.
    Thank you for all the advice. I'm just afraid that I'll build all this muscle and turn my upper body into big and bulky, and won't be able to reverse it. I know I know sound a bit naive but it's just a concern and uncertainty as to whether I should do it or not.

don't take me as the only source . but everything i've read and been told is that 'hypertrophy' (i.e. your body adding new muscle mass) happens if you lift in the 8-12 rep range. in other words, if you do 8-12 repetitions of an exercise in every set, your body's muscle-creation will be more strongly triggered.

lifting in the 5-rep range, even with heavier weights, has a different effect. you get stronger without adding very much visible 'bulk'. i'm a little hesitant about stating this as solid fact since i'm a woman and not all that disposed to growing muscle in the first place. but for what it's worth, i can tell you that for more than a year i've been lifting with four to six men of varying ages/physical types and fitness levels. almsot all of us are doing 3x5 or similar programs, and i've seen them all get stronger over the time i've been there. some of them have gotten leaner. nobody's totally changed builds or body types though.

While 8-12 reps generally is regarded as the optimal hypertrophy range, that doesn't mean that lifting in that rep range will make one get big/bulky. Putting on muscle is an excruciatingly slow, gradual process - and putting on large amounts of muscle like the OP is thinking is nearly impossible for most people and certainly won't happen quickly or by accident. It takes incredible dedication and years of training to build "big, bulky" muscles - and in the case of many bodybuilders, it also involves taking anabolic steroids and doing many bulk/cut cycles to put that mass on.

OP is also trying to lose weight, which means he's eating in a caloric deficit, which makes building any significant amounts of muscle nearly impossible - and you're certainly not going to put on massive slabs of muscle and accidentally end up looking like a bodybuilder while weight training in a deficit. One is lucky if they preserve what muscle mass they have or perhaps put on a slight (very slight) amount of additional muscle when lifting in a caloric deficit.

If it was as easy as the OP thinks to get "huge", there would be a lot more "huge" guys walking around. Go into any gym anywhere and you'll see plenty of people lifting weights, gulping protein shakes and supplements, doing anything and everything they can in desperate efforts to put that muscle on. Every single one of them wishes it was as easy as some people think it is!

Just what he said. It takes. Years of working out and eating and steroids
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

While 8-12 reps generally is regarded as the optimal hypertrophy range, that doesn't mean that lifting in that rep range will make one get big/bulky.

thanks for this. not being a guy, i don't really know what happens to you people when you even lift ;) but if the op is really worried, i thought it would help him to be even more sure he's probably safe if he decides to go with any of the starter programs that typically use 5 reps per set.

irrelevance: i overheard these two young bros in the rec centre this year, and lol'd. sort of not-funny that boys are getting just as uptight about body image as women have always been, but sort of yes-funny too, in a come-a-long-way-the-wrong-way sad kind of way.

bro 1: you only do 4-6 reps per set?
    bro 2: yeah . . . girls don't like bulky guys, see.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get big and bulky unless you want to get big and bulky.

One of the strongest guys at my gym (this guy squats over 400 lbs) is built like a gymnast and probably weighs 160/170lbs soaking wet.

Follow a program like Stronglifts 5 x 5 and you'll get stronger, you'll probably notice some more muscular definition but you won't turn into Arnold.....bodybuilders take years and years of hard work (often with Mother Nature getting a helping hand) to get the size and definition they want, and they're hitting the gym way more than 3 days a week.

I didn't check how old you are but if you start strength training now and keep at it (along with whatever other activities you enjoy) your body will thank you as you age. Typically males start losing about 1% of their lean muscle mass when they hit 40 unless they strength train, get enough protein etc. Most of the frail old men you see hobbling around with their walkers could have mitigated their health problems had they strength trained; we evolved to do hard physical labour, modern sedentary lifest7les are killing us.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

While 8-12 reps generally is regarded as the optimal hypertrophy range, that doesn't mean that lifting in that rep range will make one get big/bulky.

thanks for this. not being a guy, i don't really know what happens to you people when you even lift ;) but if the op is really worried, i thought it would help him to be even more sure he's probably safe if he decides to go with any of the starter programs that typically use 5 reps per set.

irrelevance: i overheard these two young bros in the rec centre this year, and lol'd. sort of not-funny that boys are getting just as uptight about body image as women have always been, but sort of yes-funny too, in a come-a-long-way-the-wrong-way sad kind of way.

bro 1: you only do 4-6 reps per set?
    bro 2: yeah . . . girls don't like bulky guys, see.

The thing is, the whole hypertrophy vs. strength thing is on a continuum, as opposed to being an on/off "light switch" thing. It's not like if you do 3-5 rep sets you're going to build NO muscle, and if you do 8-12 reps you're going to build NO strength. In both cases you can get stronger and add muscle (you don't see many scrawny powerlifters), even though the rep ranges are geared toward different goals.

The point is that hypertrophy isn't something that happens quickly or in large quantities. In the beginning, one's strength will grow quickly due to neuromuscular adaptations (your central nervous system becomes more efficient at firing the muscles), but muscle growth happens much more slowly. Even under optimal diet/training/lifestyle conditions, a male in his prime with good genetics and who is new to lifting can expect to put on about a half pound of muscle per week, or around two pounds per month. That's with everything being optimal and focused 100% on hypertrophy, which is rarely the case for most of us.

Unless the OP trains like an animal, eats at a surplus and starts taking anabolic steroids, he doesn't have to worry about becoming "buff and muscular" against his will, regardless of what routine/rep range he chooses to lift in. Those who train with exactly those goals in mind wish it was that quick and easy.