All you can eat sushi

I am wondering how many calories are in "all you can eat sushi." Obviously, the best way would be to track each individual component that I eat. However, this is a lot of work, and the accuracy becomes less and less with the more items I eat. What I'm wondering is: is it really possible to eat 3000 calories in one meal? Do you think I'm over estimating? What do you think the maximum calories is that someone can consume in one sitting, eating only fish and rice? These two items are not particularly calorie dense.
Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Depends on your general appetite and the kind of sushi you're talking about. If you're talking specialty maki rolls, those add up quickly with all the fried stuff and the sauces that they add to them... But California rolls are about 350 calories for a whole roll... the plain salmon or tuna ones are 250 or something... and plain sushi with rice is about 40 calories in average (some will be higher and some less, obviously). So yeah you'd have to eat about 75 of those to reach 3000 calories. That's a lot.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    I usually go with the AFC entries in the food database [they're pre-packaged containers of sushi]. The entries range from 250-400 calories for 8 pieces, so I count how many pieces of sushi I have and estimate on the high end [it's often safer to overestimate than underestimate].
  • When I go to all you can eat I track by the rolls. The place we go,you order and they bring it to the table. It really depends on what you order. I can eat to my heart's content and walk out with under 800 calories but I eat a lost of sashimi and avoid rolls with sauces and fried things. At home I usually just make sashimi. For example last week we had Tuna(6.3 oz) and sea bass(3 oz) sashimi and soba noodles with vegetables and peanut sauce. Entire meal was 423 calories. If you are avoiding the sauces and fried rolls... I suppose if you went volume you could eat 3000 calories but it would take an awful lot.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Too many variations - sushi, sashimi, nigiri, tempura, sauces, avocado, etc.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    The most rolls I managed in one sitting was during my refeed Friday before last. It ended up being about 2200 kcals, including a Dragon Roll, which is pretty dense. It ended up being about half the calories I can manage to stuff into myself via pizza and breadsticks. I found that I had to pace myself perfectly to get them all in too. One piece every five minutes over three hours worked well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Depends on your appetite and what kind of rolls/sushi you're eating - but I know for me it's absolutely possible to go over 3000 calories in a sushi meal. If I go out for AYCE sushi, it's guaranteed to be at least 2000 calories without even trying hard.
  • sexy_mitch
    sexy_mitch Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for the detailed responses and insightful information and opinions. I appreciate it. I like the suggestions to count by the piece or by the roll and sum it up in total. I really enjoyed the comparison to pizza, which is another one of my favourites, but I do agree that all you can eat sushi would probably come out lower in cals than ayce pizza.
  • sexy_mitch
    sexy_mitch Posts: 4 Member
    Also it's good to hear what other people log in amounts for ayce sushi. Some log 800, some log 2000+ very interesting.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    If I'm going to do AYCE anything, that's the only meal I'm eating for the day and I log is as "a day" lol. When I (rarely) go out for sushi, I eat ALL the bad stuff, cream cheese, soups, salads, ice cream, "fried" rolls. I'm easily going over my daily calories and I hardly ever do it - I'm not about to try to calculate that stuff. So I just call it "a day". I know that's not that helpful..but it's what I do... If you're doing this on a regular basis, you're probably going to have to figure out what rolls/ items you can calculate easier, and eat those. OR dismantle everything you plan to eat into categories (rice vs fish vs "other") and weigh it..lol
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    If I'm going to do AYCE anything, that's the only meal I'm eating for the day and I log is as "a day" lol. When I (rarely) go out for sushi, I eat ALL the bad stuff, cream cheese, soups, salads, ice cream, "fried" rolls. I'm easily going over my daily calories and I hardly ever do it - I'm not about to try to calculate that stuff. So I just call it "a day". I know that's not that helpful..but it's what I do... If you're doing this on a regular basis, you're probably going to have to figure out what rolls/ items you can calculate easier, and eat those. OR dismantle everything you plan to eat into categories (rice vs fish vs "other") and weigh it..lol

I'm totally with her. If I'm going for AYCE anywhere and making that choice I know it's a day where I'm way over and I just accept it. I don't even try to calculate it.

Especially with sushi when it's family style and I might have 2 pieces of this and 3 of that, and then some dumplings and whatever. I just accept it is way outside of my daily limit but enjoy every single minute of it.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    3000 calories of sushi in 1 meal? I could eat much more than that, EASY.

If you want to eat more and keep the calories down, stick to sashimi.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I ate so much sushi at AYCE that the owner approached our table to see if we were done. The four of us were too stuffed to move.